Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jonah settling in at RT
In the discussion on Carman I’m a believer he’s a Gameday guy. He’s just not a practice guy. You guys know I’m a Sooner and I’ve known all the head coaches for 50 years and numerous assistants. Some of the best players weren’t very good practice players. I don’t mean they loafed just on Gameday they just elevated their play for whatever reason.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 02:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Collins' cap hit this year is $9.3 mill. If released, it looks like he frees up $7.7 mill off the cap, according to both Spotrac and OTC.
I realize though that there probably is a clause that you can't do that while they are on PUP or you have to come to a settlement, but once he's healthy, I think he could free up $7.7 mill.

As others have said though, the Bengals very likely wouldn't use that saved cap this year anyway, so it would only be to help for rollover next year.
If the goal is to go for a Super Bowl win this year, would you rather have La'el Collins as a reserve, or someone like Adeniji, Smith, or Ford instead?
I lean toward Collins.

Without question you would want La'el Collins over those guys who have just sucked so far in the NFL.

Don't know why anyone that is a Bengal fan would think otherwise.

(08-09-2023, 04:17 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Spotrac & OTC are not agreeing with each other.

OTC has LC's dead cap at 3.3M. (could be pre-June 1), which leaves 6M.  If we let him go before he is deemed healthy, a medical settlement up to 2M can be deducted.  So the number we would save could be close to 4M.

OTC has 7.7 with 1.6 dead money.  Minus the settlement the number could be 5.7M.

Im not sure could find a better depth piece for less than 4 - 5M.

We couldn't find a better depth piece for less than LC. Jackson Carman is already on the team and he may be the only other one.

Keep these guys for quality swing depth at Tackle and LC can even play Left Guard very well unlike Carman so far.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 04:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: In the discussion on Carman I’m a believer he’s a Gameday guy. He’s just not a practice guy. You guys know I’m a Sooner and I’ve known all the head coaches for 50 years and numerous assistants. Some of the best players weren’t very good practice players. I don’t mean they loafed just on Gameday they just elevated their play for whatever reason.

Plus, Carman just seems to be a Tackle and not a Guard for whatever reason as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 04:17 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Spotrac & OTC are not agreeing with each other.

OTC has LC's dead cap at 3.3M. (could be pre-June 1), which leaves 6M.  If we let him go before he is deemed healthy, a medical settlement up to 2M can be deducted.  So the number we would save could be close to 4M.

OTC has 7.7 with 1.6 dead money.  Minus the settlement the number could be 5.7M.

Im not sure could find a better depth piece for less than 4 - 5M.

I assume you meant Spotrac, as that's where it's not displayed exactly whether it's pre-June 1 or post-June 1. Obviously, pre-June 1 won't matter at this point.
$3.3 mill is the dead cap if it was pre-June 1, which a $6 mill cap savings.
Post-June 1, it's just $1.66 mill dead cap, $7.7 mill cap savings.

If you're on Spotrac, go into the Manage Roster feature in the Bengals 2023 salary cap. On the row for La'el Collins, click Release, and it will list a savings of $7.7 mill, which is the post-June 1 cap savings.

To your point of letting him go before he is deemed healthy, my question to anything thinking of doing that would be "Why bother," especially if it means shelling out even more money for injury settlement.
We've seen the OL, specifically the RT, have injuries late in the season the past couple years anyway, so may as well wait until Collins is healthy to determine whether to keep him or not. Bengals might be down an OT (or two) and need the extra depth.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 04:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: In the discussion on Carman I’m a believer he’s a Gameday guy. He’s just not a practice guy. You guys know I’m a Sooner and I’ve known all the head coaches for 50 years and numerous assistants. Some of the best players weren’t very good practice players. I don’t mean they loafed just on Gameday they just elevated their play for whatever reason.

Jackson Carman is Allen Iverson confirmed?  Wink
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Guys….i think we have an o line finally.

Can we squeeze a ring out of this unit. Jonah is likely
gone no matter how good he plays with the unexpected signing of Orlando Brizzown.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 06:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Jackson Carman is Allen Iverson confirmed?  Wink

Meant to say Carman may be a Gameday guy but he’s still no starter
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 06:53 PM)Housh Wrote: Guys….i think we have an o line finally.

gone no matter how good he plays with the unexpected signing of Orlando Brizzown.

We had one last year. We win the Chiefs game if Jonah and Cappa play. And Boyd. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 06:53 PM)Housh Wrote: Guys….i think we have an o line finally.

I am really optimistic based on what I’ve been hearing about Jonah. At the same time there’s been that sort of optimism about him in the past and he’s struggled in the regular season. My hope is that the move to RT will help play to his strengths a bit and that he’ll play like an insane man who wants to make bank after his contract expires this year, just seeking to dominate everyone.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
Regarding Collins, I hope we keep him. I have little confidence in Adeniji, though he is OK vs mediocre/average players. He gets pushed back WAAAY too easy. Ford has not been impressive & I am not sure that he is an upgrade. Smith has shown nothing.

But if I have to savrifice Collins to keep, say, Reader? That gets thornier.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 05:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I assume you meant Spotrac, as that's where it's not displayed exactly whether it's pre-June 1 or post-June 1. Obviously, pre-June 1 won't matter at this point.
$3.3 mill is the dead cap if it was pre-June 1, which a $6 mill cap savings.
Post-June 1, it's just $1.66 mill dead cap, $7.7 mill cap savings.

If you're on Spotrac, go into the Manage Roster feature in the Bengals 2023 salary cap. On the row for La'el Collins, click Release, and it will list a savings of $7.7 mill, which is the post-June 1 cap savings.

To your point of letting him go before he is deemed healthy, my question to anything thinking of doing that would be "Why bother," especially if it means shelling out even more money for injury settlement.
We've seen the OL, specifically the RT, have injuries late in the season the past couple years anyway, so may as well wait until Collins is healthy to determine whether to keep him or not. Bengals might be down an OT (or two) and need the extra depth.

I think it would have to he a specific use of the money to help justify a settlement.  Sure we would love to have depth on the OL, but how far does that cash go towards say signing Reader to a 2 year extension with that money front loaded?  Something like they did with Trey.  We can't keep them all, but if you can hand it to Reader, maybe you keep him for a few years and still have hope to fit Tee.  I like OL depth, but love having Reader. 
Reply/Quote

Man, 

We've gone from "it's his first year, chill" to "he's a bad test taker"

What if ya boy is just bad?
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 01:14 AM)phil413 Wrote: I think it would have to he a specific use of the money to help justify a settlement.  Sure we would love to have depth on the OL, but how far does that cash go towards say signing Reader to a 2 year extension with that money front loaded?  Something like they did with Trey.  We can't keep them all, but if you can hand it to Reader, maybe you keep him for a few years and still have hope to fit Tee.  I like OL depth, but love having Reader. 

Injury settlements are agreements between players and teams spelling out compensation and other terms in which the two parties will immediately part ways.  It is usually determined by the number of games the team and player agree that the player would miss.  A player can refuse the settlement and the team must provide rehab and keep him on the roster until he is deemed fully healthy. 

Reply/Quote

Except for that Brian Bosworth guy because, "Hey, he like a da juice, eh?".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 08:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Except for that Brian Bosworth guy because, "Hey, he like a da juice, eh?".

We’ll certainly during that period he wasn’t the only one taking steroids. Bosworth was awfully good before he started taking steroids but hurt his shoulder and starting taking them after that. His shoulder never really recovered.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 01:14 AM)phil413 Wrote: I think it would have to he a specific use of the money to help justify a settlement.  Sure we would love to have depth on the OL, but how far does that cash go towards say signing Reader to a 2 year extension with that money front loaded?  Something like they did with Trey.  We can't keep them all, but if you can hand it to Reader, maybe you keep him for a few years and still have hope to fit Tee.  I like OL depth, but love having Reader. 

That is the only way I am for cutting LC, if it allows us to extend Reader.
Reply/Quote
I am hoping Cappa is back and is healthy. I think Jonah handled this well. And Carman is not the answer. Collins can replace Volson if he falters
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote