Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHRacerX Mock Sim....best one thus far!!!
With Andre Smith in the fold and (hopefully) starting at RG, I adjusted my draft accordingly and went with a more developmental prospect to push Westerman for next year.

I absolutely love this draft. Don't pay any attention to the grades. Ifeadi Odenigbo is going to be a beast in this league and can contribute right away on this team. He will start as a situational pass rusher, and over time develop in to guy that can rotate inside and stay on the field for 3 downs.

DJ Jones is a younger, stronger Peko. Josh Malone is Cody Core 2.0 and would provide excellent depth. I tried to focus on playmakers early, that can make this team dangerous again on offense. Jake Butt would have essentially a redshirt season, but offers tremendous value in the 4th and would allow the disappointing Kroft to walk. Thoughts? Oh, I did one trade back to accumulate an additional pick. No top tier DEs were available at #9.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 13 (ARI): John Ross, WR, Washington (B+)
Round 2 Pick 9: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford (A-)
Round 2 Pick 13 (ARI): Pat Elflein, C/OG, Ohio State (B-)
Round 3 Pick 9: Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 9: Jake Butt, TE, Michigan (A)
Round 4 Pick 31 (COMP): Elijah Lee, OLB, Kansas State (B+)
Round 5 Pick 9: D.J. Jones, DT, Ole Miss (C-)
Round 5 Pick 32 (COMP): Ifeadi Odenigbo, DE, Northwestern (D)
Round 6 Pick 9: Damien Mama, OG, Southern California (C-)
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee (B)
Round 7 Pick 9: Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (B+)
Round 7 Pick 33 (COMP): Pita Taumoepenu, OLB, Utah (D)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That website is horrible. Conley isn't falling to the 3rd round, there is talk he will be a first rounder. The trades they allow are never realistic, so I am not sure what the point of using it is. Not picking on you, it is just a pet peeve that people use that site every year and every year the values and trades are just way off.
Reply/Quote
I've never had outlandish results - I always use CBS' big board. That seems to cut down on the major errors.
Reply/Quote
Round 1 Pick 13 (ARI): John Ross, WR, Washington (B+)

I look at these picks and the ones in bold are the ones I'm ok with, I really like the Elflein and Mama picks.

I'm guessing you fell in love with Ross's combine performance as so many others have? Personally, if we go WR, Davis or Williams would be my pick, but the only way I go WR in 1 is if Davis is there and they don't have their DE available. McCaffery would be nice, but he's weak and if you're drafting him to be your starter you might want to draft a big back to help carry the load if you don't think Hill can handle it. Conley is good, but is it really a need especially above LB and DE? Which leads me to my next issue, you wait too long to draft a LB and DE which are 2 of our 3 biggest needs outside of Oline and when you draft a LB and DE they are more projects or non-starters. They need to be impact players, our DE's outside of Dunlap are bad and the only impact LB we have is Burfict. Lee to me would be more depth instead of impact starter so I wouldn't draft him as my first LB, he'd be a nice second pick at LB though.

Overall I would be very disappointed if the draft were to fall this way.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 02:04 PM)Crowe Wrote: Round 1 Pick 13 (ARI): John Ross, WR, Washington (B+)

I look at these picks and the ones in bold are the ones I'm ok with, I really like the Elflein and Mama picks.

I'm guessing you fell in love with Ross's combine performance as so many others have? Personally, if we go WR, Davis or Williams would be my pick, but the only way I go WR in 1 is if Davis is there and they don't have their DE available. McCaffery would be nice, but he's weak and if you're drafting him to be your starter you might want to draft a big back to help carry the load if you don't think Hill can handle it. Conley is good, but is it really a need especially above LB and DE? Which leads me to my next issue, you wait too long to draft a LB and DE which are 2 of our 3 biggest needs outside of Oline and when you draft a LB and DE they are more projects or non-starters. They need to be impact players, our DE's outside of Dunlap are bad and the only impact LB we have is Burfict. Lee to me would be more depth instead of impact starter so I wouldn't draft him as my first LB, he'd be a nice second pick at LB though.

Overall I would be very disappointed if the draft were to fall this way.

If you watched Ross during the season, he was a beast.  The one thing that really surprised me about him was how effective he was in the red zone.  He's not just a fast 40 yard dash guy, he's a big play machine and he runs good routes and knows how to get open.

He's a little bit of a stretch for me at #9, but if you think he's the #1 or #2  WR in the draft, you might have to take him there.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 09:39 AM)Au165 Wrote: That website is horrible. Conley isn't falling to the 3rd round, there is talk he will be a first rounder. The trades they allow are never realistic, so I am not sure what the point of using it is. Not picking on you, it is just a pet peeve that people use that site every year and every year the values and trades are just way off.

Aside from Conley, which does look like a longshot to be there in the third, albeit the top of the third, where else do you see unrealistic picks?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 04:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If you watched Ross during the season, he was a beast.  The one thing that really surprised me about him was how effective he was in the red zone.  He's not just a fast 40 yard dash guy, he's a big play machine and he runs good routes and knows how to get open.

He's a little bit of a stretch for me at #9, but if you think he's the #1 or #2  WR in the draft, you might have to take him there.

I think the problem with me going for Ross is that there are better WR's ahead of him and he has some injury concerns. IMO Davis is probably the safest pick with great upside, Williams is talented but had a pretty significant injury as well. There are some good mid round prospects to look at as well. When I see this team WR is not a top 4 need so I'd hate to use a number 9 pick where we are assured to get an immediate starter on a position that is not a huge need. If the team found a way to grab a lb, de, and olineman who were going to come in a make an impact from rounds 2 on then fine draft a WR at 9, I would just rather go with Davis, not that Ross couldn't be electric, I just think 9 is too early for him.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 08:40 AM)Crowe Wrote: I think the problem with me going for Ross is that there are better WR's ahead of him and he has some injury concerns. IMO Davis is probably the safest pick with great upside, Williams is talented but had a pretty significant injury as well. There are some good mid round prospects to look at as well. When I see this team WR is not a top 4 need so I'd hate to use a number 9 pick where we are assured to get an immediate starter on a position that is not a huge need. If the team found a way to grab a lb, de, and olineman who were going to come in a make an impact from rounds 2 on then fine draft a WR at 9, I would just rather go with Davis, not that Ross couldn't be electric, I just think 9 is too early for him.

I like Davis a great deal, but Williams scares me...he makes great contested catches, but has far too many of them.  In other words, he creates no separation.  A vertical threat at WR is what is lacking from this offense, IMHO.  A speedy, powerful pass-rushing RDE is what is missing on the defensive side of the ball.  

We do need to think about LT, but I doubt the Bengals use an early round pick on one...they are going to stubbornly sink or swim with Ced at LT.   

I wouldn't take Ross, or Davis, at 9 either.  If you look, I slid back and garnered another second rounder.  I even commented on it?  I don't see Soloman Thomas there at #9, and unless a player like Johnathon Allen drops to them, I could see a scenario where a number of teams desiring to overdraft a LB like Foster would trade up.  

Ross, plus a second rounder that they could use to address the C position is very attractive to me and helps the biggest weakness on the team (the offense) right away.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 09:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I like Davis a great deal, but Williams scares me...he makes great contested catches, but has far too many of them.  In other words, he creates no separation.  A vertical threat at WR is what is lacking from this offense, IMHO.  A speedy, powerful pass-rushing RDE is what is missing on the defensive side of the ball.  

We do need to think about LT, but I doubt the Bengals use an early round pick on one...they are going to stubbornly sink or swim with Ced at LT.   

I wouldn't take Ross, or Davis, at 9 either.  If you look, I slid back and garnered another second rounder.  I even commented on it?  I don't see Soloman Thomas there at #9, and unless a player like Johnathon Allen drops to them, I could see a scenario where a number of teams desiring to overdraft a LB like Foster would trade up.  

Ross, plus a second rounder that they could use to address the C position is very attractive to me and helps the biggest weakness on the team (the offense) right away.  

I feel the same way about Williams, he makes great contested catches, but he doesn't scream consistency to me. I think he'd be a better complementary receiver than a true number 1 where as Davis could be our 1b to Greens 1a.

This draft stinks for offensive lineman so to me not one is worth a 1st round pick. I could see us trying to draft guys like Elfein, Pocic, Toth at C and guys like Feeney, Moton, or Mama at G/T which I wouldn't mind seeing maybe at least 2 of these guys drafted.

For me Thomas might be our best match and I personally hope if he's at 9 it's either him or Foster as I think both would be impact contributors and I'm also a defense first type of guy. Jonathan Allen might be the bigger household name, but he does have some injury concerns as well, but he would be a nice pick at 9.

Ross and an extra second wouldn't be bad, I'd just hope we could find an impact DE and LB as both positions sorely need to be upgraded.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 10:57 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Aside from Conley, which does look like a longshot to be there in the third, albeit the top of the third, where else do you see unrealistic picks?

It's more the trades that are the issue. People can pull off trades on that site that even Madden wouldn't allow.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 09:49 AM)Crowe Wrote: I feel the same way about Williams, he makes great contested catches, but he doesn't scream consistency to me. I think he'd be a better complementary receiver than a true number 1 where as Davis could be our 1b to Greens 1a.

This draft stinks for offensive lineman so to me not one is worth a 1st round pick. I could see us trying to draft guys like Elfein, Pocic, Toth at C and guys like Feeney, Moton, or Mama at G/T which I wouldn't mind seeing maybe at least 2 of these guys drafted.

For me Thomas might be our best match and I personally hope if he's at 9 it's either him or Foster as I think both would be impact contributors and I'm also a defense first type of guy. Jonathan Allen might be the bigger household name, but he does have some injury concerns as well, but he would be a nice pick at 9.

Ross and an extra second wouldn't be bad, I'd just hope we could find an impact DE and LB as both positions sorely need to be upgraded.

I would take Thomas at #9 and sprint to the podium to do it...but I think he will be long gone. I want NOTHING to do with Foster.  Sucks when his line didn't destroy the competition.  If you ever played a little backer, cleaning up is easy and fun.  When this guy has to create his own plays, he struggles.  
Reply/Quote