Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jones suspended 1 game
per PFT....could have been a lot worse.

Adam Jones suspended one game by NFL

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 21, 2017, 12:29 PM EDT

Getty Images
Apparently emboldened by the Sean Spicer news, the NFL is firing up the Friday news dump machine a little early today.

Bengals cornerback Adam Jones has been suspended one game by the league for violating the personal conduct policy, and has three days to appeal the decision.

Jones pleaded guilty to obstructing official business, after a January incident in which he spat on a jailhouse nurse (which sounds like a euphemism but isn’t in this case). This came after he blew up at reporters who had the nerve to ask him about the most interesting thing to happen to him this offseason.

In the league’s letter to Jones, they said the: “extensive video documentation of the tone, tenor and nature of your interactions with law enforcement at the site of your arrest, during transportation to the jail, and during the booking process. As you acknowledged, your post-arrest words and actions reflected poorly on you and your family, the Cincinnati Bengals football club, and the NFL. While it is our understanding that appropriate apologies have been publicly extended, they do not completely negate your behavior and admission of culpability for the underlying conduct.”

The Bengals have consistently stood by Jones for years, primarily because he’s good at football. And they’re deep enough in former first-rounders at the position to survive the opener against the Ravens without him.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Pretty light punishment. Guess I can't complain. I still don't feel like Dennard or Jackson are better options to start at corner than Pacman.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 01:50 PM)samhain Wrote: Pretty light punishment.  Guess I can't complain.  I still don't feel like Dennard or Jackson are better options to start at corner than Pacman.

I've always thought Dennard and WJ3 were better suited for the outside than the slot.
I've also thought Adam could be a good slot CB, at least over Dennard.

If it were up to me, I'd try starting Dennard/WJ3 opposite DK for a few games and let Adam be the third CB.
Gotta see what these first rounders can really do in their best positions before their contracts expire.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 02:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I've always thought Dennard and WJ3 were better suited for the outside than the slot.

If it were up to me, I'd try starting Dennard/WJ3 opposite DK for a few games and let Adam be the third CB.
Gotta see what these first rounders can really do in their best positions before their contracts expire.

Pacman played in the slot when he first got to cincy and didn't look as good there or even on the strong side replacing JJo. When they started bringing him in on the weakside boundary as the 3rd corner he became one of the best in the league
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 02:06 PM)Synric Wrote: Pacman played in the slot when he first got to cincy and didn't look as good there or even on the strong side replacing JJo. When they started bringing him in on the weakside boundary as the 3rd corner he became one of the best in the league

Gotcha. Well Dennard hasn't been very good in the slot either IIRC. We haven't seen WJ3 yet, so perhaps he'll surprise.
I know Shaw has been a good slot CB, but I want to see Dennard and/or WJ3 on the field often and not play poorly.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 02:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I've always thought Dennard and WJ3 were better suited for the outside than the slot.

They both probably are.  I just don't think that A: Dennard is any good, or B: Jackson is ready to be a starting corner in the NFL.  Let Jones hold it down for one more season then dump his salary (yeah right, I know) to pay for some of our younger FAs next offseason.
Reply/Quote
Damn, that's it? I was hoping for a year, then the team would (hopefully) have no problem cutting this punk
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 02:12 PM)samhain Wrote: They both probably are.  I just don't think that A: Dennard is any good, or B: Jackson is ready to be a starting corner in the NFL.  Let Jones hold it down for one more season then dump his salary (yeah right, I know) to pay for some of our younger FAs next offseason.

Well that's the problem...we've really only seen Dennard in the slot and limited snaps. Hard to tell really if he'd be good on the outside and taking a good amount of snaps. But his 5th year option is next season, but it can still essentially be revoked before it kicks in next offseason, so he needs to get opportunities this year.

I agree that WJ3 probably is a year away (hopefully not two).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Kinda shocked. Thought he would at least get 4 games. Hope he grows up and dosent think he can get away acting like an ass since he came out of this with a slap on the wrist.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 02:12 PM)samhain Wrote: They both probably are.  I just don't think that A: Dennard is any good, or B: Jackson is ready to be a starting corner in the NFL.  Let Jones hold it down for one more season then dump his salary (yeah right, I know) to pay for some of our younger FAs next offseason.

I'm starting to wonder about that, myself.  Injuries aside, Dennard hasn't really done much to impress me in his limited playing time.  Nothing that screams "can't miss 1st rounder", anyway.  I think that part of his problem is that he looked so dominate in college, because the rules allow for face guarding, and he go away with a ton of hand fighting, both of which will draw flags in the NFL.

Oh, and as to the Jones suspension? Meh, one game. We shouldn't miss him much.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Bad news.

He's addition by subtraction. He was awful last year. Will be even worse this year.

Was hoping for a labotomy and a trip to shutter island for that imbecile.

1 game. We're screwed. He's gonna start 15 games!
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 03:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm starting to wonder about that, myself.  Injuries aside, Dennard hasn't really done much to impress me in his limited playing time.  Nothing that screams "can't miss 1st rounder", anyway.  I think that part of his problem is that he looked so dominate in college, because the rules allow for face guarding, and he go away with a ton of hand fighting, both of which will draw flags in the NFL.

Oh, and as to the Jones suspension?  Meh, one game.  We shouldn't miss him much.

According to a report about 4 weeks ago on Cincy Jungle, Bengals were targeting Bradley Roby in the 2014 draft.
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/6/28/15881996/bengals-bradley-roby-2014-nfl-draft

If Roby was being truthful, I have to imagine the Bengals didn't expect Dennard to be there at 24, so Roby was the target. However, when Dennard was still there, the Bengals didn't want to pass up that opportunity.

Imagine how things could have been different if Roby were in stripes instead of Dennard...
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 04:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: According to a report about 4 weeks ago on Cincy Jungle, Bengals were targeting Bradley Roby in the 2014 draft.
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/6/28/15881996/bengals-bradley-roby-2014-nfl-draft

If Roby was being truthful, I have to imagine the Bengals didn't expect Dennard to be there at 24, so Roby was the target. However, when Dennard was still there, the Bengals didn't want to pass up that opportunity.

Imagine how things could have been different if Roby were in stripes instead of Dennard...

Well that gives Lap another check mark. Roby was his prediction for us in 2014.

The Dennard/Roby thing is similar to the Leon Hall selection in 2007. The Bengals were ready to take Reggie Nelson, but then Leon fell to them. They couldn't pass up on Hall.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 02:45 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Kinda shocked. Thought he would at least get 4 games. Hope he grows up and dosent think he can get away acting like an ass since he came out of this with a slap on the wrist.

Of course he thinks he can get way with anything because he gets away with anything.

Ten Chances is now Eleven Chances.   And counting.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 02:45 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Kinda shocked. Thought he would at least get 4 games. Hope he grows up and dosent think he can get away acting like an ass since he came out of this with a slap on the wrist.

Ha! Yeah right  Hilarious

If this was his first time being in trouble with the law then yeah, sure. Give him the benefit of the doubt. His second time? Maybe. His third time? Highly doubtful...

This is what, his 9th or 10th time? I think any hope for Pacman to grow a brain and learn from his mistakes was lost long ago. Any hope for this loser now is naive and unrealistic. And since he's close with Mike Brown, a man who has never held him accountable and never will, what reason does he have to NOT think he can get away with murder? (I'm exaggerating... Somewhat)
Reply/Quote

I'm all for seeing if Dennard can improve but not at the cost of football games.  Hopefully hes got it this year.

WJIII I'm more excited to see play
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 04:06 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Bad news.

He's addition by subtraction. He was awful last year.  Will be even worse this year.

Was hoping for a labotomy and a trip to shutter island for that imbecile.

1 game.  We're screwed.  He's gonna start 15 games!

Must not be watching the same adam jones....
Reply/Quote
I disagree with the team's choice to keep employing him; however, they have decided to do so. Given those circumstances this is great news.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
well thats over now.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Honestly I was hoping the league would nail his ass. Tired of his act is a understatement.
Reply/Quote