Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonnu Smith TE being released
Per Adam Schefter he's 28 he had 50 catches for 582 last year......should we have any interest??
Reply/Quote
I hope we show some interest.

Wouldn’t hurt us in the compensatory pick equation. And IMO he would be the best TE Burrow has had so far.

Only 3 less catches and 80 less yards than the other TE who was on his team last year. Which was the guy picked ahead of Chase, Kyle Pitts.

Jonnu, Sample, and Hudson would be solid.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2024, 05:20 PM)pulses Wrote: Per Adam Schefter he's 28 he had 50 catches for 582 last year......should we have any interest??

why is he being released? cap casualty?
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't be a bad addition for the Bengals that is for sure.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2024, 04:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: why is he being released? cap casualty?

yes sir
Reply/Quote
Dalton Schultz and Jonnu Smith both, lets go, make it happen. Don't need a WR3 if you only play 2 WR.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2024, 01:06 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Dalton Schultz and Jonnu Smith both, lets go, make it happen. Don't need a WR3 if you only play 2 WR.

Schultz was extended by the Texans.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Schultz was extended by the Texans.

Noah Fant and Jonnu Smith both, lets go, make it happen. 

Reply/Quote
I like Jonnu. I don't know why he's so inconsistent though. Is he injury prone? Not very bright? Or just under-utilized? He's definitely a beast athletically.

I wouldn't mind bringing back Hayden Hurst. He was very good in 2022.

I like Hudson and Sample.

Drafting a Rookie could be good long-term, but tight ends usually take awhile to develop (especially mid-late round draft picks).

We need to win now so adding a reliable, smart veteran would be a good move.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 08:50 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I like Jonnu. I don't know why he's so inconsistent though. Is he injury prone? Not very bright? Or just under-utilized? He's definitely a beast athletically.

I wouldn't mind bringing back Hayden Hurst. He was very good in 2022.

I like Hudson and Sample.

Drafting a Rookie could be good long-term, but tight ends usually take awhile to develop (especially mid-late round draft picks).

We need to win now so adding a reliable, smart veteran would be a good move.

Unless one gets released soon, we're left with Noah Fant as our only option.  Not that he's horrible, I just don't think that he's lived up to his hype coming out of college.  Would be a poor investment in my opinion.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 08:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Unless one gets released soon, we're left with Noah Fant as our only option.  Not that he's horrible, I just don't think that he's lived up to his hype coming out of college.  Would be a poor investment in my opinion.
I agree Fant isn't worth the money.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 09:13 PM)pulses Wrote: I agree Fant isn't worth the money.

Iowa has a reputation for producing TEs, and so does ND.  That is because their offenses feature the TE as an integral part.  If you play TE for either of those schools, you're going to have pretty good numbers, weather you're an exceptional talent or JAG.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 09:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Iowa has a reputation for producing TEs, and so does ND.  That is because their offenses feature the TE as an integral part.  If you play TE for either of those schools, you're going to have pretty good numbers, weather you're an exceptional talent or JAG.

Fant has the 9th most yards total by TE since 2019. When you consider yards per game he falls to 14th. Catching those balls from mostly a combo of drew lock and Geno smith…. Thinking of those QBs, I think he has done well. Considering that he has put up better numbers than any tight end four of his five seasons over the last decade of bengals tight ends (eiferts lone mostly healthy 2015 season) he might be worth a look if you want to open up the draft.

Noah could easily do what hurst or uzomah did here… likely better now with no Boyd.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 02:34 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Fant has the 9th most yards total by TE since 2019.  When you consider yards per game he falls to 14th.  Catching those balls from mostly a combo of drew lock and Geno smith…. Thinking of those QBs, I think he has done well.  Considering that he has put up better numbers than any tight end four of his five seasons over the last decade of bengals tight ends (eiferts lone mostly healthy 2015 season) he might be worth a look if you want to open up the draft.

Noah could easily do what hurst or uzomah did here… likely better now with no Boyd.

Has much less to do with the QB than he was on an offense with Lockett, Metcalf and Smith N'Jigba. When he was with Denver, their offense featured the RB and TE a little more.  I think that Fant would be a reliable TE, but not "needle moving" special.  Nothing about him says to me "Joe Burrow will prefer to seek him out over the WRs".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 10:32 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Has much less to do with the QB than he was on an offense with Lockett, Metcalf and Smith N'Jigba. When he was with Denver, their offense featured the RB and TE a little more.  I think that Fant would be a reliable TE, but not "needle moving" special.  Nothing about him says to me "Joe Burrow will prefer to seek him out over the WRs".

You could say that about any tight end outside of just a handful…. You’re thinking would be in alignment with the bengals last 3 years of tight end acquisitions. If he had an above average tight end, which statistically Fant is, maybe burrow would seek him out more. Fant was 7th best at YAC in 2023 at the tight end position. Fant could be our number 3 target unless they replace Boyd with a solid vet, they invest in a rookie (likely early) or Andre/Charlie take a giant leap. As of now there are around 200 targets open from last year with current bengal free agents.

I’m not saying Fant is a great tight end, far from it. But his production over the last 5 years, with meh QB play has shown he is around a top 10 tight end, or better than average.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 11:03 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: You could say that about any tight end outside of just a handful…. You’re thinking would be in alignment with the bengals last 3 years of tight end acquisitions.  If he had an above average tight end, which statistically Fant is, maybe burrow would seek him out more.  Fant was 7th best at YAC in 2023 at the tight end position.  Fant could be our number 3 target unless they replace Boyd with a solid vet, they invest in a rookie (likely early) or Andre/Charlie take a giant leap.  As of now there are around 200 targets open from last year with current bengal free agents.

I’m not saying Fant is a great tight end, far from it.  But his production over the last 5 years, with meh QB play has shown he is around a top 10 tight end, or better than average.

Exactly, so I think that the Bengals would be better off saving the money that Fant would want, and simply bringing back Hudson and Sample and then proceeding to draft the best that they can.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 05:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, so I think that the Bengals would be better off saving the money that Fant would want, and simply bringing back Hudson and Sample and then proceeding to draft the best that they can.

A high rookie investment is still an opportunity cost… Noah Fant plus a RT at 18, would be cheaper than say a FA OL, CB, DL and a TE rookie at 18.

Idk, I think Fant is likely as good if not better than any rookie with Brock being exception. He at least helps them win in 2024 more than historically most rookie TE.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 10:32 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Has much less to do with the QB than he was on an offense with Lockett, Metcalf and Smith N'Jigba. When he was with Denver, their offense featured the RB and TE a little more.  I think that Fant would be a reliable TE, but not "needle moving" special.  Nothing about him says to me "Joe Burrow will prefer to seek him out over the WRs".

I agree I just think it'd be an overspend.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 05:39 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: A high rookie investment is still an opportunity cost… Noah Fant plus a RT at 18, would be cheaper than say a FA OL, CB, DL and a TE rookie at 18.

Idk, I think Fant is likely as good if not better than any rookie with Brock being exception.  He at least helps them win in 2024 more than historically most rookie TE.

It doesn't even need to be a "high" rookie investment.  There are at least 4-6 TEs worth drafting this season, and most of them will likely be going rounds 3-5.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

If it were 2023? Agreed. But in 2024 Boyd is almost certainly going to be gone and his 90+ targets need to go somewhere. Also Bengals TEs got 115 targets last year too and I believe we currently have none under contract.

Even if we assume Tee gets +30 targets over last year to bring him back to his norm due to hopefully better health, that's still 175 targets up for grabs.

Fant would be preferred over Iosivas or Jones.

Reply/Quote