Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan Battle-Alabama round 2
With Vonn Bell and Bates III now gone, it looks like we need some depth at Safety. I think this will be the best prospect in round 2 at #60, b/c OT is still a greater need as our first pick.

Here's the scouting report on 4-Star, Jordan Battle-Alabama 6'1, 209-lbs He Hits like an LB, and he can cover the deep ball.
Per Draft Buzz

Physical safety that has the perfect size for the Strong Size position - brilliant in the box with linebacker-like skills
A natural leader of the Alabama defense and possesses a high football IQ with great instincts
Smooth hips and fluid in coverage
Scares the hell out of smaller receivers over the middle - regularly blows them up with big hits
In 2021 he was fantastic in coverage - excelling in man-to-man. Allowed only 111 yds when targetted all season
Displays the speed to stay with receivers deep and doesn't allow much of a cushion
Does a very good job of reading the eyes of the quarterback and reacting with good field awareness and ball skills.
Aware in the red zone, stays on the backline to take away fade throws. Capable of making quarterbacks pay for late throws.
Tough and scrappy with forceful nature to be physical at all levels of the field. Has good bulk on his frame to be aggressive in run support.
Has good body control and balance to redirect and break down in the open field.

Summary:
Battle has a great natural ability with an ideal size for a strong safety, is a natural leader, and has proved super smart while leading the Alabama defense. He also is surprisingly adept in coverage for such a big safety and could even be trusted as a corner in a pinch. He however isn't as good a tackler as you would expect and misses more tackles than you would hope.
We consider Battle to be an excellent pro prospect who will likely be a week one starter at the next level with the potential to be a pro bowler as long as if he works on his tackling skills.
Battle is one the best safeties in this class and will likely hear his name called during the second round of the 2023 NFL Draft.
Reply/Quote
Impressive film. I think Christopher Smith would be a better complement but we would be lucky to have either available at the end of the second.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 09:35 PM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: Impressive film. I think Christopher Smith would be a better complement but we would be lucky to have either available at the end of the second.

Smith is also a good one but I think Battle is the better pick.  Battle puts the same fear Jack Tatum did into receivers going over the middle.  Pff has both of them being there at 60.
Reply/Quote
Either would be a welcome addition, we can only hope that the team views the Safety situation as dire as some of us do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Plug in a second rounder next to our first rounder... and the new combo might quickly surpass the old combo...???
Reply/Quote
I like Sydney Brown from Illinois in the 2nd
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:27 AM)pulses Wrote: I like Sydney Brown from Illinois in the 2nd

I don't think Lou is going to be interested in a 5'9 Safety.  Brown could be a slot CB in the NFL but is too short to play Safety in this league.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:27 AM)pulses Wrote: I like Sydney Brown from Illinois in the 2nd

& grab Chase in the 3rd to replace Mixon at RB.  Hilarious

S. Brown is a decent prospect though and we now know the team needs to add to the safety position.
Reply/Quote
I like Antonio Johnson but was disappointed in his meager 8 reps at the combine.
Reply/Quote
Yes, Jordan Battle is for sure in play now. Have seen him go in the 3rd so he could make it to our 2nd or if we like
him a ton like we did CTB we could trade up a couple spots for him.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:07 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: & grab Chase in the 3rd to replace Mixon at RB.  Hilarious

S. Brown is a decent prospect though and we now know the team needs to add to the safety position.

QB Rating when they were throwing Brown's way was a 58.4 which is way better than the guys ranked ahead of him.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:03 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I don't think Lou is going to be interested in a 5'9 Safety.  Brown could be a slot CB in the NFL but is too short to play Safety in this league.

guys who are 5'10 with a 40 inch vertical and are excellent in zone with the intangibles he has can play safety in any league.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 05:57 PM)pulses Wrote: guys who are 5'10 with a 40 inch vertical and are excellent in zone with the intangibles he has can play safety in any league.

Brown is 5'9 standing in his cleats.  He'll be slot CB in the NFL.  

Jordan Battle is who we want, this guy is another Jack Tatum.  

Battle pays Strong safety replacing Bell, and Dax Free replacing Bates. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 07:53 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: With Vonn Bell and Bates III now gone, it looks like we need some depth at Safety.  I think this will be the best prospect in round 2 at #60, b/c OT is still a greater need as our first pick.  

Here's the scouting report on 4-Star, Jordan Battle-Alabama  6'1, 209-lbs He Hits like an LB, and he can cover the deep ball.
Per Draft Buzz

Physical safety that has the perfect size for the Strong Size position - brilliant in the box with linebacker-like skills
A natural leader of the Alabama defense and possesses a high football IQ with great instincts
Smooth hips and fluid in coverage
Scares the hell out of smaller receivers over the middle - regularly blows them up with big hits
In 2021 he was fantastic in coverage - excelling in man-to-man. Allowed only 111 yds when targetted all season
Displays the speed to stay with receivers deep and doesn't allow much of a cushion
Does a very good job of reading the eyes of the quarterback and reacting with good field awareness and ball skills.
Aware in the red zone, stays on the backline to take away fade throws. Capable of making quarterbacks pay for late throws.
Tough and scrappy with forceful nature to be physical at all levels of the field. Has good bulk on his frame to be aggressive in run support.
Has good body control and balance to redirect and break down in the open field.

Summary:
Battle has a great natural ability with an ideal size for a strong safety, is a natural leader, and has proved super smart while leading the Alabama defense. He also is surprisingly adept in coverage for such a big safety and could even be trusted as a corner in a pinch. He however isn't as good a tackler as you would expect and misses more tackles than you would hope.
We consider Battle to be an excellent pro prospect who will likely be a week one starter at the next level with the potential to be a pro bowler as long as if he works on his tackling skills.
Battle is one the best safeties in this class and will likely hear his name called during the second round of the 2023 NFL Draft.
LOVE to have him at 60.
Reply/Quote