Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jordan Battle's Coverage Technique
I really wish that I could find a still image of the exact moment in the play, but on defending a deep ball last night Jordan Battle used his massive hand like a blindfold over the facemask of the receiver and used his left hand to swat the ball down. I watched it in real time and said 'hey, I think he just turned out the lights on that guy'. Then on the replay it showed that he did, plain as day. I about spit my beer out from cracking up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 04:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really wish that I could find a still image of the exact moment in the play, but on defending a deep ball last night Jordan Battle used his massive hand like a blindfold over the facemask of the receiver and used his left hand to swat the ball down. I watched it in real time and said 'hey, I think he just turned out the lights on that guy'. Then on the replay it showed that he did, plain as day. I about spit my beer out from cracking up.

Can’t catch what you can’t see. lol

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 04:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really wish that I could find a still image of the exact moment in the play, but on defending a deep ball last night Jordan Battle used his massive hand like a blindfold over the facemask of the receiver and used his left hand to swat the ball down.  I watched it in real time and said 'hey, I think he just turned out the lights on that guy'.  Then on the replay it showed that he did, plain as day.  I about spit my beer out from cracking up.

Jaguars Reddit was not pleased, but they provided the image:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Jaguars/comments/18b417r/not_a_penalty/
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 04:16 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Can’t catch what you can’t see. lol

That is hilarious!!!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Jordan Battle, Cam Taylor-Britt, Dax Hill, DJ Turner....we've got ourselves some young ones that will be very very good next season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 04:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Jaguars Reddit was not pleased, but they provided the image:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Jaguars/comments/18b417r/not_a_penalty/

The comments on that Reddit thread were quite humanity-affirming. The image was put up to blame the refs. But so many of the comments were along these lines:

"Defense lost the game, not the Refs. This probably should have been called and you can most likely find plays where we should have been called for things that refs missed. Goes both ways. Players and coaches win/lose the games at the end of the day."

"Calls get missed. Bad calls get made. We were out-schemed and outplayed. We got beat by the Bengals tonight, not the refs."

"Remember when we sh** on the Texans for bitching non-stop about the refs?" "We don't want to turn into Texans fans."

"We were outcoached and outexecuted in every phase tonight. never felt like we deserved to win after our second TD and even then it was dicey."

"Refs are ass but they didn't give up 34 points to some backup named jake."
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 04:49 PM)Nepa Wrote: The comments on that Reddit thread were quite humanity-affirming. The image was put up to blame the refs. But so many of the comments were along these lines:

"Defense lost the game, not the Refs. This probably should have been called and you can most likely find plays where we should have been called for things that refs missed. Goes both ways. Players and coaches win/lose the games at the end of the day."

"Calls get missed. Bad calls get made. We were out-schemed and outplayed. We got beat by the Bengals tonight, not the refs."

"Remember when we sh** on the Texans for bitching non-stop about the refs?" "We don't want to turn into Texans fans."

"We were outcoached and outexecuted in every phase tonight. never felt like we deserved to win after our second TD and even then it was dicey."

Yea, Jags fans seem like good people. This may be a generalization, but I feel like that's how you know they haven't become bandwagoned yet.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 04:39 PM)pally Wrote: Jordan Battle, Cam Taylor-Britt, Dax Hill, DJ Turner....we've got ourselves some young ones that will be very very good next season

Those guys give up the 6th most passing yards in the NFL. While they are exciting young players..it's not like they've proven to be good as a unit this year. 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 05:11 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: Those guys give up the 6th most passing yards in the NFL. While they are exciting young players..it's not like they've proven to be good as a unit this year. 

Jordan Battle, Cam Taylor-Britt, Dax Hill, DJ Turner.

Rookie, sophomore, red shirt rookie, rookie.

lol… I have seen moments from each of them. They will come together as a unit. Secondary is the second hardest position in the nfl, just behind qb.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 05:11 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: Those guys give up the 6th most passing yards in the NFL. While they are exciting young players..it's not like they've proven to be good as a unit this year. 

yeah young guys are going to make some mistakes but they are rapidly improving.

And there is plenty of blame to spread around for those passing stats.  Including a lack of pass rush from anyone other than Trey Hendrickson and underperforming veteran DBs like Awuzie and Scott. Scott as you should know lost his starting job to Turner just a couple of weeks ago

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 05:11 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: Those guys give up the 6th most passing yards in the NFL. While they are exciting young players..it's not like they've proven to be good as a unit this year. 

We've seen enough of what they are physically capable of to believe that with a season of continuity under their belt that they will perform like a well orchestrated unit going forward.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 05:30 PM)pally Wrote: yeah young guys are going to make some mistakes but they are rapidly improving.

And there is plenty of blame to spread around for those passing stats.  Including a lack of pass rush from anyone other than Trey Hendrickson and underperforming veteran DBs like Awuzie and Scott. Scott as you should know lost his starting job to Turner just a couple of weeks ago

Are they rapidly improving? The texans threw for 356, Lamar threw for 256 (which is above his average), Pickett had his best passing day of this season, maybe his career last week, and 300 yards to the Jags...

The pass rush has an impact for sure, I've just seen too many examples of getting excited by young players and being overly confident in their improvement going into the next season (Ossai this past offseason). I'd be much more optimistic if we were actually seeing improvement from them this season. At a certain point, by the end of your 2nd or rookie season, you've played a lot of ball and the improvement of play from the end of rookie year to 2nd year isn't as drastic as many folks think. It just feels like it is because they play at that improved level for the entirety of their 2nd (or 3rd) season. 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 04:49 PM)Nepa Wrote: The comments on that Reddit thread were quite humanity-affirming. The image was put up to blame the refs. But so many of the comments were along these lines:

They sound like good fans Jaguar fans.

(12-05-2023, 05:30 PM)pally Wrote: yeah young guys are going to make some mistakes but they are rapidly improving.

You mean Scott lost his job to Jordan Battle Pally...
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 05:50 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: Are they rapidly improving? 

Yes.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 05:50 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: Are they rapidly improving? The texans threw for 356, Lamar threw for 256 (which is above his average), Pickett had his best passing day of this season, maybe his career last week, and 300 yards to the Jags...

The pass rush has an impact for sure, I've just seen too many examples of getting excited by young players and being overly confident in their improvement going into the next season (Ossai this past offseason). I'd be much more optimistic if we were actually seeing improvement from them this season. At a certain point, by the end of your 2nd or rookie season, you've played a lot of ball and the improvement of play from the end of rookie year to 2nd year isn't as drastic as many folks think. It just feels like it is because they play at that improved level for the entirety of their 2nd (or 3rd) season. 

I don't know that they are rapidly improving if your looking at the stat lines. But CTB is out and that should be noted. The corners haven't been the best in run support and Turner came charging in a couple times last night Battle has been flashing consistently. I'm really liking our defense but my expectations were a little lower this year than some others. Ossai is probably the biggest disappointment to me personally I was hyped for him this season. Another thing that I think people forget is Awuzie tore his ACL last year and sometimes players take a couple years to get completely back. He already was I thought just a good coverage guy he doesn't get alot of picks and he's not an overly great tackler.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 06:13 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I don't know that they are rapidly improving if your looking at the stat lines. But CTB is out and that should be noted. The corners haven't been the best in run support and Turner came charging in a couple times last night Battle has been flashing consistently. I'm really liking our defense but my expectations were a little lower this year than some others. Ossai is probably the biggest disappointment to me personally I was hyped for him this season. Another thing that I think people forget is Awuzie tore his ACL last year and sometimes players take a couple years to get completely back. He already was I thought just a good coverage guy he doesn't get alot of picks and he's not an overly great tackler.

Right there with you in loving what I have seen of Battle and really disappointed in Ossai this year.

So true on Chido and coming back from injury. Maybe that is the case with Ossai as well, I don't know....
Reply/Quote