Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jordan Battle to start the rest of the year
Seems some of us are getting our wish as the Bengals look to move forward at safety with Battle. Scott got the 12th man on the field penalty against the Ravens and didn't play another snap.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/film-breakdown-what-does-jordan-battle-bring-bengals-defense

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice!
Reply/Quote
Cutting Scott next year saves about 3 million in cap space. That will be nice. That was a big whiff in FA.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 10:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: Seems some of us are getting our wish as the Bengals look to move forward at safety with Battle. Scott got the 12th man on the field penalty against the Ravens and didn't play another snap.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/film-breakdown-what-does-jordan-battle-bring-bengals-defense

For those interested in knowing some stats/ratings on Battle:

61 run defense snaps
82 coverage snaps
24 combined tackles
1 missed tackle
113 passer rating allowed (PFR), 100 passer rating allowed (PFF)
11 Yards per completion (PFR), 9.6 YPC (PFF)
2 passes deflected
0 INTs
77.4 overall PFF rating (77.4 run defense, 63.3 pass rush, 70.5 coverage)

Overall, he's been good against the run, but he's not been good in coverage. With that said, I view Dax Hill having the skill set more of what a coverage safety has, whereas Battle has a more typical SS skill set. I would like to see him get better in coverage though, which will probably come over time.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 11:03 AM)ochocincos Wrote: For those interested in knowing some stats/ratings on Battle:

61 run defense snaps
82 coverage snaps
24 combined tackles
1 missed tackle
113 passer rating allowed (PFR), 100 passer rating allowed (PFF)
11 Yards per completion (PFR), 9.6 YPC (PFF)
2 passes deflected
0 INTs
77.4 overall PFF rating (77.4 run defense, 63.3 pass rush, 70.5 coverage)

Overall, he's been good against the run, but he's not been good in coverage. With that said, I view Dax Hill having the skill set more of what a coverage safety has, whereas Battle has a more typical SS skill set. I would like to see him get better in coverage though, which will probably come over time.

The more him and Dax get reps together, the better they will be. It's nice they can use the rest of the season to continue to gel and get better. 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 11:05 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The more him and Dax get reps together, the better they will be. It's nice they can use the rest of the season to continue to gel and get better. 

Yep I'm sure that has played a role as well.

With Burrow out, I'm game for trying anything.

Not to derail the thread with being a fanboy, but we also may as well see what Hudson's potential can be as the starting TE given all 4 TEs are in a contract year.
If Hudson does well through the rest of the year (maintain a 25+ yards per game average, currently at 35.0), I'd love to re-sign him and have him compete for TE1/2 duties next year.
The one drawback with Hudson though is he'll turn 30 next November, and the Bengals don't typically sign players 30+ years old. They might though just on a 1-2 year deal, as Hudson has very little mileage and should come pretty cheap.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 11:00 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Cutting Scott next year saves about 3 million in cap space. That will be nice. That was a big whiff in FA.

You answered the question lingering in my thoughts. Cutting Scott also seems like a logical decision. Duke shouldn't have to put much thought into it.
Reply/Quote
Not to be that guy but... is this official? I don't see any mention of the depth chart at the SI link. Just an expectation that they'll "lean on" him. But I might have missed it.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 11:00 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Cutting Scott next year saves about 3 million in cap space. That will be nice. That was a big whiff in FA.

That and Irv Smith too
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 11:19 AM)tms Wrote: Not to be that guy but... is this official? I don't see any mention of the depth chart at the SI link. Just an expectation that they'll "lean on" him. But I might have missed it.

Embrace being that guy:

[Image: i-am-that-guy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I wonder who will take over as the guy that mans up on the TE on 3rd and long DJ Ivey maybe?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 11:22 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Embrace being that guy:

[Image: i-am-that-guy.gif]
That guy's not a bad guy to be.
Reply/Quote
Congrats to Battle, he's earned it. He and Hill are going to make for a fine Safety combo going forward.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 11:28 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Congrats to Battle, he's earned it.  He and Hill are going to make for a fine Safety combo going forward.

I also hope Battle performs well so the Bengals can enter the draft without worrying about picking a Safety.
Reply/Quote
Here’s hoping Jordan Battle gets his first interception against Kenny Pickett this week!
Reply/Quote
I will say this if Jordan Battle is taking Daxton Hill's blitzing reps then he needs to step it up because Daxton Hill is probably the best blitzer on the roster right now. Hill can't play the post and blitz at the same time and Battle is not a post safety.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 11:29 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I also hope Battle performs well so the Bengals can enter the draft without worrying about picking a Safety.

That’s the truth. From the looks of things the Bengals need to pick offensive linemen in rounds 1 through 7!
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 11:22 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That and Irv Smith too

I don't think people realize how much cap room the Bengals have next year. They are currently 5th in cap room with around 70 million. That's without cutting anyone as well. You can open up another 10 million if you decide to cut Mixon and Scott alone. 

They are going to have a butt load of money to spend on players to upgrade the team. 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 11:29 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I also hope Battle performs well so the Bengals can enter the draft without worrying about picking a Safety.

I'm not so sure about that.  They'll still need quality depth as the next man up is always just one fluke injury play away from being in there.  Case in point, Tycen Anderson was really making a name for himself as Special Teams gunner, as well as pushing for reps on the back end of the defense.  Losing his speed and athleticism has cost the team valuable field position during his absence.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote