Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jordan Battle to start the rest of the year
(11-22-2023, 03:25 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I believe many do not realize just how very average Battle's athleticism truly is.  Scott's game speed is so much faster, Scott just isnt very good.

Hopefully his continued understanding of the game and increased anticipation will help Battle to overcome his physical liabilities.

That's the hope for sure, and there's only one way to get that.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
So glad the coaches finally saw what we saw from at least week 2.

Our defense will not suffer at all if Scott doesn’t play one more snap all year
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 04:07 PM)Housh Wrote: So glad the coaches finally saw what we saw from at least week 2.

Our defense will not suffer at all if Scott doesn’t play one more snap all year

I didnt see it.  Early on I was shocked at how slow Battle was playing.  There was no way Lou could have thrown him in early in season.  The breakdown vids were shockingly bad.  I am extremely impressed with how Battle has picked up on things mentally and now playing at a decent game speed.  

He has always had to overcome his lack of athleticism with smarts and anticipation.  Vonn Bell was actually worse athletically and made it happen, Battle certainly can as well. 

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 07:23 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Battle has earned it and has improved weekly imho. Time to let him and Dax develop chemistry together and believe they will become a very solid Safety tandem for the Bengals for the foreseeable future.

Agree, I like the tandem of Dax Hill and Jordan Battle for the future. Dax has the athleticism and Battle has the instincts and hard 
hitting physical nature to his game.

(11-22-2023, 03:25 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I believe many do not realize just how very average Battle's athleticism truly is.  Scott's game speed is so much faster, Scott just isnt very good.

Hopefully his continued understanding of the game and increased anticipation will help Battle to overcome his physical liabilities.

Yeah, Battle has to make up for his lack of athleticism with his instincts. Thank God he has good instincts and is a good tackler.

He also can be a ballhawk as we saw in college but he is not a great athlete by any means like Dax is.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 03:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/11/22/23972673/jordan-battle-starter-strong-safety-bengals-news-lou-anarumo

Good stuff. Thanks. 
Reply/Quote
I was very happy to see Battle have a solid game.   This was Battle a few weeks ago:

His RAS score was extremely average, which showed on the play above.

That said he was still graded a better athlete than Von Bell who we all liked.  

[Image: vonn-bell-ras-13088.png?resize=806%2C522&ssl=1]

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 03:25 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I believe many do not realize just how very average Battle's athleticism truly is. Scott's game speed is so much faster, Scott just isnt very good.

There have been multiple very good NFL safeties who had average athleticism, John Lynch is one, that relied on smarts. I believe Battle will be very good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2023, 01:08 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I was very happy to see Battle have a solid game.   This was Battle a few weeks ago:

His RAS score was extremely average, which showed on the play above.

That said he was still graded a better athlete than Von Bell who we all liked.  

Jordan Battle can definitely develop into Vonn Bell and Daxton Hill has the talent to be a great center field safety... What I like about that video highlights the one issue. Daxton Hill can get down in the box and blitz the run and pass but to do that Battle has to rotate to the post and he doesn't have the range. Battle needs to make up for that by turning into a savvy blitzer of his own.

Anyone remember in 2021 when Lou brought in Ricardo Allen so they could rotate with Vonn Bell and give Jessie Bates a chance to man up on TEs on 3rd down. Allen was banged up a little plus while Bates is the best post safety in the NFL he was inconsistent in man coverage against TEs so they turned to Flowers who filled that role well. 

Edit: Here is a Video of Greg Cosell talking about Daxton Hill Jordan Battle and the Bengals defense from a few weeks back.
https://www.the33rdteam.com/bengals-dax-hill-could-become-one-of-the-nfls-better-safeties/

*Great Line about how on a weekly conference call they have every week with coaches around the league that they don't even treat Dean Blandino like a human lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote