Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jordan Evans
(09-01-2017, 01:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Willis is shaping up to look like a 3 down player.  And I'm not trying to discount what Mixon and Lawson have shown, by saying that.  I really see Mixon being the future at RB, and Lawson will be a strong role player.  

I find it interesting where Lawson had been lining up when playing base Linebacker. Everyone was thinking SAM but the Bengals have been playing him inside which actually fits with how they use their MIKEs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Didn't get to watch the game but i loved the Evans pick from the moment we made it.

He is rangy, is extremely fast, takes great angles and tackles well. Definately should be in the Nickel snaps.

Don't know if i would start him over Vinny cause Vinny is a smart dude and we will need smart while Taze is out.

Maybe slide Vinny to MIKE, Evans to WILL and keep Vigil at SAM. Not been impressed with Minter so far but he may just
need time in the system. Need to start the best players regardless and it is looking like it was a good move to sign Minter
for just a year. Evans has all the talent to become that other Linebacker on our team besides Burfict to be a star.

Watch out when he grows into his body.

BTW, heard Willis got another sack. Dude is a beast and should be the starter opposite Dunlap. Use MJ as a DT on 3rd
and longs. I am with the poster that said MJ should not take another DE snap unless it is sorely needed.

Willis, Smith, Lawson, Clarke can hold down the rotation at End behind Dunlap.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 01:13 PM)Synric Wrote: I find it interesting where Lawson had been lining up when playing base Linebacker. Everyone was thinking SAM but the Bengals have been playing him inside which actually fits with how they use their MIKEs.

Mike is an interesting spot to place a guy with shoulder problems.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Evans looked really good and loved him in coverage.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:12 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You sure you want to? 57.1%

That aside, we go through this song-and-dance at the end of every preseason about how great of a draft class it'll be. Then regular season hits and your Michael Johnsons, Domata Pekos, and Rey Maualugas will be playing, and most of your rookies will be sitting and eventually fade into obscurity.

Maybe fans have gone overboard in the past. But I have never seen great play during the preseason from this many guys ever.

Willis has been a beast
Lawson has shown signs of being solid
Jordan Evans was unlike no other LB as a rookie I have seen in preseason, he surpassed Burfict results and we all knew immediately Burfict was a stud.

Mixon flashed as has Malone.

I have seen hype in the past based on untapped potential, this group displayed results like no other class.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 01:12 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Michael Johnson n vinney rey will be starting for us which is really really sad. Especially when Willis n Evans are a million times better.  But what do i know, n how dare i question our coaches.  After all its 26 years without a playoffs win.  Fml

Depending on who would be making the defensive calls with Burfict out, the Bengals might need to start VRey. He's not a bad player, he's just solid.
Willis should be starting over MJ though, no question. At least on third down.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 01:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Maybe fans have gone overboard in the past. But I have never seen great play during the preseason from this many guys ever.

Willis has been a beast
Lawson has shown signs of being solid
Jordan Evans was unlike no other LB as a rookie I have seen in preseason, he surpassed Burfict results and we all knew immediately Burfict was a stud.

Mixon flashed as has Malone.

I have seen hype in the past based on untapped potential, this group displayed results like no other class.

Lovin' it Luvnit. Cool

Yeah, this isn't all hype like in the past. Some people say it is the same song, same dance but lots of rookies will be seeing
tons of snaps this year and Peko and Maualuga are gone. BTW, how did Billings look this game anybody?
Reply/Quote
Paul Dehner tweeted that he thinks Evans will be active on Sundays, let alone because of the suspensions. Plus mentioned how Marvin raved about him last night, details below.

Paul Dehner Jr.‏Verified account @pauldehnerjr  1h1 hour ago

His (Jordan Evans) preseason highlights aren't bad, either. Marvin Lewis raving about him last night. He'll be active on Sundays this year.
https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status/903639876318453764

------------------------------------------------------------
last night's presser-

Q: Jordan Willis with one sack, so he had a sack in each preseason game. He has flashed a bit. I know you want to look at film, but those guys in open space were pretty fast.

Marvin: “I could see Jordan Evans because he was in open space. He demonstrated what we’ve seen from him the entire time. I can’t be more excited about a young player than I am about him, both those guys and Carl Lawson had a good showing tonight so those guys are ready to go. And that’s what we need to have. They’re going to be a part of the football team and part of the 46-man roster on Sundays and they earned an opportunity to be there.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-at-Colts-Postgame-Quotes/3bfd5dfc-37e9-4833-a73a-5062c4e3015b
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:12 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You sure you want to? 57.1%

That aside, we go through this song-and-dance at the end of every preseason about how great of a draft class it'll be. Then regular season hits and your Michael Johnsons, Domata Pekos, and Rey Maualugas will be playing, and most of your rookies will be sitting and eventually fade into obscurity.

Yeah, but he almost hit one from 60.  I may still be in the minority, but I want him as our kicker....people forget how nice it is having touchbacks.  He kicks bombs, and he's young and will only get stronger. 

I don't think MJ, Peko, or Maualuga will be taking snaps from the rookies, since only MJ is still here and by a thread.  The Bengals already tipped their hand showing him taking snaps at NT on pass rushing downs.  His time at RDE is probably relegated to first down only.

Willis had four sacks playing roughly two complete games (four halves).  That is unreal.  We will see Billings, WJIII, Willis, Lawson, and maybe Evans playing a LOT this season, and they will be better for it.  
Reply/Quote
Early returns look good for
Evans
Willis
Lawson

And Chris Smith* (I know hes not a rookie but hes a new face)
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know, it was preseason game #4 and a lot of those guys will not make NFL rosters, but did everyone see what Jordan Evans was doing yesterday?  

Defended screen passes for a loss.  Stuffed the run at the LOS.  Made six tackles in essentially one quarter.

The guy can flat-out ball.  I think he should start over Vinny Rey.  With Burfict out for three games, I think the defense needs more speed out there and he has shown great instincts.  

Vigil and Evans in the nickel?  Base with Minter as MIKE, Vigil as SAM, and Evans at WILL?  

I think Evans deserves the shot in these three games.  Thoughts?

He will get some snaps, but Rey deserves to be the starter,, he has been very consistent and knows the defense well.. Evans will get playing time no doubt
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 05:54 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, but he almost hit one from 60.  I may still be in the minority, but I want him as our kicker....people forget how nice it is having touchbacks.  He kicks bombs, and he's young and will only get stronger. 

I don't think MJ, Peko, or Maualuga will be taking snaps from the rookies, since only MJ is still here and by a thread.  The Bengals already tipped their hand showing him taking snaps at NT on pass rushing downs.  His time at RDE is probably relegated to first down only.

Willis had four sacks playing roughly two complete games (four halves).  That is unreal.  We will see Billings, WJIII, Willis, Lawson, and maybe Evans playing a LOT this season, and they will be better for it.  

Touchbacks aren't so nice now that it comes out to the 25.

MJ, Peko, and Maualuga weren't actual people in that example, more representations of people. I could have also said Robert Geathers, Chris Crocker, Cedric Benson, Benjarvus Green-Ellis, etc. Guys who are veterans and you know what you'll get at that point in their career, sub-average play, but they get playing time over people with better (if unproven) potential because Mediocre Marv loves him some reliable mediocrity.

I'm not so sure you'll see much of Will Jack. The guy is 5th on the depth chart at highest. Billings will get his playing time cut into by Pat Sims. Willis/Lawson/Evans will have playing time cut into by Michael Johnson/Kevin Minter/Vinny Rey. It's the way.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 07:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Touchbacks aren't so nice now that it comes out to the 25.

MJ, Peko, and Maualuga weren't actual people in that example, more representations of people. I could have also said Robert Geathers, Chris Crocker, Cedric Benson, Benjarvus Green-Ellis, etc. Guys who are veterans and you know what you'll get at that point in their career, sub-average play, but they get playing time over people with better (if unproven) potential because Mediocre Marv loves him some reliable mediocrity.

I'm not so sure you'll see much of Will Jack. The guy is 5th on the depth chart at highest. Billings will get his playing time cut into by Pat Sims. Willis/Lawson/Evans will have playing time cut into by Michael Johnson/Kevin Minter/Vinny Rey. It's the way.

Actually you seem to have a backwards it's the veterans that will be getting their  time cut as the young ones will play also actually that's the way
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 12:46 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Don't forget Brandon Wilson. I'm hoping he makes the team. I know he hasn't shown anything yet due to injury but he can be our Peppers. The guy is a Swiss knife who I think we can use on offense/ Defense and ST. He could be our st ace with Peerman out.

On a side note, I know they didn't want McCarron to get hurt which is why they went full Williams ball, but man give the line some pass blocking reps, and receivers trying to make a case. Just thought it was a little shady. But my question is, is Carson hurt? He's pretty entertaining to watch. Would have been ok with him getting those reps over Williams ( even though it was shady) just curious why he didn't play. Is he our ST ace already.

Carson was nicked at the Redskins game, but should be ok for week 1, assuming he makes the team.  

I loved Bradon Wilson as a late round pick.  Tremendous athlete, but I have seen so many freaks never contribute on the field (Moch, Hunt) that I am a little more reserved when I see a guy like Wilson.  I hope he takes to the coaching, because if he has any instincts at all and understands the game, he would be all-world...but those are pretty big ifs.  
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 07:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Touchbacks aren't so nice now that it comes out to the 25.

WJIII is starting week 1 at outside corner???

And touchbacks also prevent injuries...which is a good thing, and it prevents certain big-play guys from scoring.  It is still pretty nice.  

I think your opinion of Marv's desire to play vets over rookies is well-deserved, but give credit where it is due...Marv is giving the young guys more chances.  

I said before the draft that this year's class will either make or break this team for a long time....with 9 picks, thus far, I would say they have knocked it out of the park.  

And look at guys like Fej, last year's 7th rounder...he got some time last year.  Sure, it was due to injuries but he played in some games and showed it wasn't too big for him.  Vigil started towards the end of last year, and proved he could handle it and is now the starter.  Cody Core got a start last year, and now looks to be in the mix at X receiver.  

The way has changed. 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 12:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The San Diego playoff game broke my optimism switch. The Pittsburgh playoff game poured gas on the switch, burned it to ashes, and proceeded to pee all over those ashes.   :andy:

Maybe I will get around to ordering a new one when it's actually shown to be needed.

It pains me to hear this, but I completely understand.  Your narrative was hilarious, BTW. 

Don't worry, my friend, there will be LOTS of room on the bandwagon when you want to jump back on...I'm driving it, so I get to say who boards.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Man, I didn't even mention Malone, Glasgow, and Elliott.  

I can't remember a draft class, ever, where one draft has had so many players contribute in their rookie season.  

Ross (please be ok Pray)
Mixon
Willis
Lawson
Malone
Glasgow
Elliott
Evans (he deserves to be starting over Vinny Rey at WILL during Burfict's suspension)

That is downright amazing.  

What the...

Is it December already?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 01:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Willis is shaping up to look like a 3 down player.  And I'm not trying to discount what Mixon and Lawson have shown, by saying that.  I really see Mixon being the future at RB, and Lawson will be a strong role player.  

Not to toot my own horn (OK, maybe just a little) but if we look back at those draft threads, I wanted Willis BAD and I wanted him in the 2nd round.  Still can't believe he was there in the third.  Had the EXACT same feeling a year ago when we passed on Billings and then got him a round later.  
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 09:16 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not to toot my own horn (OK, maybe just a little) but if we look back at those draft threads, I wanted Willis BAD and I wanted him in the 2nd round.  Still can't believe he was there in the third.  Had the EXACT same feeling a year ago when we passed on Billings and then got him a round later.  

You got me on that wagon and i wanted him over Derek Barnett (who lots wanted at 9) after i studied up.

I got on that wagon and bought me a new one to ride around in.

The best call of the Draft so far. Hope he keeps it up against the Birds in the opener and terrorizes that O-line.

I almost truly believe Willis will if given enough snaps. Hard working, physical sumbitch with all the moves.

3 down End for damn sure, look out NFL! Cool
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 09:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You got me on that wagon and i wanted him over Derek Barnett (who lots wanted at 9) after i studied up.

I got on that wagon and bought me a new one to ride around in.

The best call of the Draft so far. Hope he keeps it up against the Birds in the opener and terrorizes that O-line.

I almost truly believe Willis will if given enough snaps. Hard working, physical sumbitch with all the moves.

3 down End for damn sure, look out NFL! Cool

I still can't believe we went in to the offseason looking for an edge rusher, and potentially gained THREE impact players at the position (Willis, Lawson, Smith)...better yet, one plays just as well from the left side!
Reply/Quote