Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan Evans......
(12-04-2017, 01:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes, because that's exactly what I said. Good reading comprehension, broheim.   :andy:

I mean you saw where I started my post with the words "Not that it's the end-all measurement of if a player is any good..." and later said "It's not a huge sample side..." (Obviously a typo where I meant sample size.) and cut right to the heart of my message by not ignoring both of those bits, but actually saying the exact opposite. Well done.

I'm with you and I was going to post something similar.

Evans isn't great...but he isn't Vigil level bad either. Vigil is our worst starter on the team by far. His absence makes our defense better.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 02:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm with you and I was going to post something similar.

Evans isn't great...but he isn't Vigil level bad either. Vigil is our worst starter on the team by far. His absence makes our defense better.

Yeah, Evans could end up being good, but right now I think expectations should be realistic and you shouldn't bank on it. That said, even if Evans ends up being a "meh" player that's still an improvement over Vigil.

Basically an Andre Smith situation. Andre Smith isn't good, but his not good is still better than Jake Fisher's really not good. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 02:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, Evans could end up being good, but right now I think expectations should be realistic and you shouldn't bank on it. That said, even if Evans ends up being a "meh" player that's still an improvement over Vigil.

Basically an Andre Smith situation. Andre Smith isn't good, but his not good is still better than Jake Fisher's really not good. Lol

That's a great way to put it! And I agree.

People thought Vigil was good for the longest time because he recorded Tackle statistics.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 01:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes, because that's exactly what I said. Good reading comprehension, broheim.   :andy:

I mean you saw where I started my post with the words "Not that it's the end-all measurement of if a player is any good..." and later said "It's not a huge sample side..." (Obviously a typo where I meant sample size.) and cut right to the heart of my message by not ignoring both of those bits, but actually saying the exact opposite. Well done.

I know that’s not what you said. I was just using hyperbole.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 04:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not that it's the end-all measurement of if a player is any good, but PFF has Jordan Evans with a 44.1 Overall grade, which is better than Nick Vigil's 35.1, but to give a bit of perspective, Russell Bodine is graded at 43.9 Overall.

So according to PFF (once again, not that it's a concrete thing) Evans has been about on par with Bodine this season as far as how well they've played. That's pretty awful.

It's not a huge sample side as he's only played 10.6% of the defensive snaps this year, but it's not like he's been good. There's a reason why he was a 6th round pick. Don't go Ryan Whalen-ing this kid into some imaginary talent just because he's a Bengal and the player in front of him sucks.

I like to use the eye test on players rather than put any stock in PFF.

Seen numerous games this season where a player plays good and has a low rating and a player plays terrible and has a high rating.

There is a reason why Burfict went undrafted and Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, the draft is a crapshoot.

You never know where you will find that diamond in the rough.

Evans could be one, he is extremely fast and has great range and can cover.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 06:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like to use the eye test on players rather than put any stock in PFF.

Seen numerous games this season where a player plays good and has a low rating and a player plays terrible and has a high rating.

There is a reason why Burfict went undrafted and Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, the draft is a crapshoot.

You never know where you will find that diamond in the rough.

Evans could be one, he is extremely fast and has great range and can cover.

I couldn't agree more.

Some hack writer comes up with a grading system and people are just expected to accept it as fact.

Long before PFF you simply watched the games, if a guy could play, you could tell. PFF's grade are about as useful as used single ply toilet paper. Maybe you can bury it for fertilizer but I wouldn't use it for much else.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 02:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's a great way to put it! And I agree.

People thought Vigil was good for the longest time because he recorded Tackle statistics.

To be fair when he was making alot of tackles as the WILL linebacker (after Burfict came back and before Minter was injured) Vigil looked good. Then Minter gets hurt they move Burfict inside V.Rey to WILL and Vigil to SAM he didn't look as good. 

That's why I'm interested in where Evans will play tonight. He played mostly WILL linebacker in the preseason.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's our fastest LB by far. Put the kid out there and let him learn on the job. What's he gonna do, miss a tackle or not cover a TE?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Soooooo... Evans sucks too, and is clearly not the answer to the Vigil problem. His best hit was against his own team and he patti-caked Bell thinking it would shove him out of bounds.

The Bengals also couldn't stop anyone or cover the middle of the field once Burfict got dirtily taken out. LBs not named Burfict on this team are a really really weak group.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 02:36 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Soooooo... Evans sucks too, and is clearly not the answer to the Vigil problem. His best hit was against his own team and he patti-caked Bell thinking it would shove him out of bounds.

The Bengals also couldn't stop anyone or cover the middle of the field once Burfict got dirtily taken out. LBs not named Burfict on this team are a really really weak group.

Jackson just standing there didn't help on the Bell play either.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 02:41 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Jackson just standing there didn't help on the Bell play either.

I'm quite a bit on record that Jackson has a ton of talent, but just may be the stupidest player on the defense for the Bengals. Dude is like Kirkpatrick in year 3-4 out there, good for 2 stupid penalties/plays a game... but at least Jackson has the really good CB play to somewhat offset it, that Kirkpatrick doesn't have.

Hopefully the next head coach can keep his head from his ass so we can just enjoy the good talent he has.

Reply/Quote