Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan Mathews - Vet WR
He put on 15 lbs. and had a tryout at the TE position. Bengals were one of teams at the workout. It tells me they are still looking for a TE, but I would not rule out OL, WR or LB if Mathews were signed as he should come cheap as he tries to switch positions and rejuvenate his career.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/former-eagles-wr-jordan-matthews-will-show-nfl-teams-te-weekend

Are we done in FA?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Signing a WR converting to TE makes little sense
To me when.you can sign a a free agent that is a actual
TE. I rather look.at Demetrius Harris Jesse James
Or Tyler Eifert for that matter before I even think
About Jordan Matthews.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 04:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He put on 15 lbs. and had a tryout at the TE position. Bengals were one of teams at the workout. It tells me they are still looking for a TE, but I would not rule out OL, WR or LB if Mathews were signed as he should come cheap as he tries to switch positions and rejuvenate his career.

Are we done in FA?

should actually look at TE's then
Reply/Quote
I've never quite understood what happened with this guy. He was a high 2nd round pick, who had a real nice start to his career. He also still only 29 years old.

He started out his first three years with 2,673 yards and 19 TD's. (891 yards and 6 TD average). He got traded and has made only 12 starts in the 4 years since.

You might be thinking injuries are the obvious answer but I don't think that's the case. It looks like he had his fair share of them but most of them appear to run of the mill (knee scope, thumb fracture, hamstring, anke sprain). I don't see anything major (ACL/MCL, achilies) listed.

I'll be interested to see if anyone gives him a shot at TE. I'm assuming since he's making the switch that he's slowed considerably, otherwise I'm not sure why he would make the move. I would also assume that he'll end up somewhere that won't use him much at all for blocking.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 04:42 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I've never quite understood what happened with this guy.  He was a high 2nd round pick, who had a real nice start to his career.  He also still only 29 years old.

He started out his first three years with 2,673 yards and 19 TD's. (891 yards and 6 TD average).  He got traded and has made only 12 starts in the 4 years since.

You might be thinking injuries are the obvious answer but I don't think that's the case.  It looks like he had his fair share of them but most of them appear to run of the mill (knee scope, thumb fracture, hamstring, anke sprain).  I don't see anything major (ACL/MCL, achilies) listed.

I'll be interested to see if anyone gives him a shot at TE.  I'm assuming since he's making the switch that he's slowed considerably, otherwise I'm not sure why he would make the move.  I would also assume that he'll end up somewhere that won't use him much at all for blocking.

Jordan Matthew's was never fast. He had some build up speed but he was never a guy that explosive off the line.

Matthews played very well as a big slot and was a very good blocking receiver from that spot. He would be used similarly even listed as a "TE". Mostly he has added more routes to his game and position versatility as an F-TE/H-Back.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 04:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He put on 15 lbs. and had a tryout at the TE position. Bengals were one of teams at the workout. It tells me they are still looking for a TE, but I would not rule out OL, WR or LB if Mathews were signed as he should come cheap as he tries to switch positions and rejuvenate his career.

Are we done in FA?

So he's about 230 lbs now?

I'd be down to try him at TE, but I think the Bengals could just convert Tate if they're gonna look for a bigger WR who is around 230 lbs.
Matthews is more proven as a WR than Tate is though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 04:56 PM)Synric Wrote: Jordan Matthew's was never fast. He had some build up speed but he was never a guy that explosive off the line.

Matthews played very well as a big slot and was a very good blocking receiver from that spot. He would be used similarly even listed as a "TE". Mostly he has added more routes to his game and position versatility as an F-TE/H-Back.

I would say yes and no.

He ran a 4.46 40, so he has at least decent explosiveness. He's at least around as fast as Boyd and Higgins.
He also had a 6.95 3-cone and 4.18 shuttle.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Wouldn't be a bad grab is all I can say, more proven than Tate as Ocho said. We need some depth at both WR and TE.

Even if I like some of our UDFA's and I think Thaddeus should make the team.

Matthews would be some good competition anyways.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 05:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So he's about 230 lbs now?

I'd be down to try him at TE, but I think the Bengals could just convert Tate if they're gonna look for a bigger WR who is around 230 lbs.
Matthews is more proven as a WR than Tate is though.

He is 236 LBS. so yes very light for a TE
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/former-eagles-wr-jordan-matthews-will-show-nfl-teams-te-weekend

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 04:42 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I've never quite understood what happened with this guy.  He was a high 2nd round pick, who had a real nice start to his career.  He also still only 29 years old.

He started out his first three years with 2,673 yards and 19 TD's. (891 yards and 6 TD average).  He got traded and has made only 12 starts in the 4 years since.

You might be thinking injuries are the obvious answer but I don't think that's the case.  It looks like he had his fair share of them but most of them appear to run of the mill (knee scope, thumb fracture, hamstring, anke sprain).  I don't see anything major (ACL/MCL, achilies) listed.

I'll be interested to see if anyone gives him a shot at TE.  I'm assuming since he's making the switch that he's slowed considerably, otherwise I'm not sure why he would make the move.  I would also assume that he'll end up somewhere that won't use him much at all for blocking.

I thought the same thing about him falling off the map after a decent start the 1st 3 years.

Reply/Quote
We can speculate all we want, but if this guy has heart, talent and determination, I would give him a shot. We aren't NFL caliber coaches. Let them judge.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I've said for a while now that we need to sign a vet WR in case of an injury to Boyd, Higgins or Chase. Depth.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 10:25 AM)EatonFan Wrote: I've said for a while now that we need to sign a vet WR in case of an injury to Boyd, Higgins or Chase. Depth.

I agree, although I expect Taylor to have a role on the depth chart, assuming he makes the cut, which I think will be contingent on his health & how he shows as a returner for special teams.
Reply/Quote
I liked Matthews a lot in college.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 01:45 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I liked Matthews a lot in college.

I did too. Felt he was a solid character dude, showed to have very good hands, and who maybe didn’t have a super high ceiling, but with a high floor potential wise. Of course being related to Jerry Rice was kind of cool too lol.

Albeit unlikely for him to stick somewhere, I respect him for the grind.
Reply/Quote
I don’t like the idea of bringing this guy in.Besides,the Bengals staff are content with what they have,unfortunately.I’d be surprised if they sign anyone else,except of course if someone gets injured.There have been a few free agents recently that I wish they would have moved on.But,,,the Bengals are the Bengals.And Mike Brown is Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 06:21 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I don’t like the idea of bringing this guy in.Besides,the Bengals staff are content with what they have,unfortunately.I’d be surprised if they sign anyone else,except of course if someone gets injured.There have been a few free agents recently that I wish they would have moved on.But,,,the Bengals are the Bengals.And Mike Brown is Mike Brown.

A few years ago, I would’ve vehemently agreed, but they’ve seemed to be pretty active participants over the last 2 years or so.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 11:46 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: A few years ago, I would’ve vehemently agreed, but they’ve seemed to be pretty active participants over the last 2 years or so.

At certain positions.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote