Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jose Iglesias
I fully realize that we're only 2 months into the season, but I feel like a conversation about Iglesias's future with the Reds would be interesting.

When they signed him to a minor league deal, it was thought that he'd be a quality backup to strengthen the bench. Then Scooter went down. Then Peraza proceeded to be awful.

Now we have Iglesias, who was always a much better fielder that Peraza (and honestly just about anyone) at short starting regularly. His weakness was thought to be his bat, but at the moment he's the only guy on the team hitting over 300.

I realize that there's no need to jump the gun in June, but I think it's worth considering to lock him up for a few years. There really isn't an overly impressive shortstop prospect near the big-league level in the farm system right now. The Reds should also be in a decent position budget-wise to make a deal when all of the guys from the LA deal drop of of the books.

Maybe his average returns to what the back of his baseball card reads. Maybe not. Maybe he's a Scooter-caliber find who can actually get it done in the field.

If he continues his current pace at the plater through mid-August, I'd try to keep him here. Guys that can field like him and be an asset at the plate don't grow on trees.
Reply/Quote
I’d be 100% in for a 3 year deal. Even if he had a down year at the plate, the dude is a legit GG contender up the middle.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 12:46 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’d be 100% in for a 3 year deal. Even if he had a down year at the plate, the dude is a legit GG contender up the middle.

Same.  Freddie Rodriguez and the other Iglesias are the Reds pair of SS prospects with the most promise in the minors, but both are still at least 2 years out.  Nobody is on the roster now.  The best free agent will be Grigorius, and I don't think they'd pursue/be able to afford him.  Even if he regressed, I think he'd be worth a 3 year deal to lock down the SS spot until a younger option becomes viable.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 01:02 AM)samhain Wrote: Same.  Freddie Rodriguez and the other Iglesias are the Reds pair of SS prospects with the most promise in the minors, but both are still at least 2 years out.  Nobody is on the roster now.  The best free agent will be Grigorius, and I don't think they'd pursue/be able to afford him.  Even if he regressed, I think he'd be worth a 3 year deal to lock down the SS spot until a younger option becomes viable.

Good call on the prospects! I don’t think that Peraza will ever be anything more than a backup. He’s too inconsistent at getting on base with the way he fields at that position.
Reply/Quote
I'm all for offering Iggy a 2 or 3 year deal. He's hitting well and his fielding has been superb. Imagine him at SS and Scooter at 2B. The middle infield would be awesome.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I say a 3 year deal. The dude is a gold glover. Use Peraza in outfield.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Even if his BA drops 40 points he's still very worth keeping for his D.
Reply/Quote
You're all aware Iglesias hired a new agency to represent him? He's going to want the big bucks if he keeps playing at the level he is now. Unless his BA drops way off the rest of the way I think we'll see the last of him possibly even before the trade deadline, but by the time his current contract expires...he's gone if he keeps hitting anywhere near .300.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 06:27 PM)grampahol Wrote: You're all aware Iglesias hired a new agency to represent him? He's going to want the big bucks if he keeps playing at the level he is now. Unless his BA drops way off the rest of the way I think we'll see the last of him possibly even before the trade deadline, but by the time his current contract expires...he's gone if he keeps hitting anywhere near .300.. 

I never understood how we got picked up so easily, he was a lifetime.270 hitter before this year. He probably will regress a bit before seasons end. I don’t think that he will break the bank, he will obviously get a nice raise though. Playing Peraza there is punting the season. The Reds should be able to pay players fairly or sell the team. They can’t make the stupid Votto and Baily type signings anymore. The Reds will probably be able to sign him reasonably unless a team gets stupid. The Reds can’t get stupid but they have to have a legitimate SS if they really want to win. Sticking a second baseman there is a bad plan.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 07:59 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Playing Peraza there is punting the season. 
I disagree.

Peraza has had one full season as the starting SS.

Barry Larkin had ONE season(1990 185 hits) where he had more hits than Peraza had last year (182) and he had 18 other seasons that didn't reach that level.
Concepcion never had that many hits in a season.
Cozart never had that many hits in a season.
Iglesias has never had more hits(125 career best) than Peraza's second best season(126 in 2017), Larkin had 13 seasons that didn't pass 126 hits

Peraza can play, he started off slow last year then took off big time. He needs to play everyday, not be moved around like a utility player. 

Is he as good as Iglesias? No, but moving an asset along that doesn't intend to re-sign might be OK if somebody offers to give up something big. Our fallback plan is pretty good.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Iglesias and Peraza's career numbers are almost identical

……….….….AVG.......SLG%....OB%
Iglesias..... .272 ...  .316 ...  .369
Peraza.....  .274 ...  .313 ...  .375

Peraza is 4 years younger and steals more bases (1 per 21 AB to 1 per 51 AB), but Iglesias's defense is better.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 11:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Iglesias and Peraza's career numbers are almost identical

……….….….AVG.......SLG%....OB%
Iglesias..... .272 ...  .316 ...  .369
Peraza.....  .274 ...  .313 ...  .375

Peraza is 4 years younger and steals more bases (1 per 21 AB to 1 per 51 AB), but Iglesias's defense is better.

And Iglesias is a defensive wizard while Peraza is a below average defensive SS. Peraza has streaks where he hits great and long streaks that he is worse than a pitcher at the plate. Iglesias is the better player.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:27 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: And Iglesias is a defensive wizard while Peraza is a below average defensive SS. Peraza has streaks where he hits great and long streaks that he is worse than a pitcher at the plate. Iglesias is the better player.

Defense is not that important at some positions, but at SS it is the reason I would also take Iglesias over Peraza.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Defense is not that important at some positions, but at SS it is the reason I would also take Iglesias over Peraza.

Me, too. However, what are they going to gain from him being SS for 25-30 games in September and he signs elsewhere? If they are in the hunt, keep him, but if it doesn't look like he's going to re-sign and teams are offering something for him then trade him.

I was just disagreeing with the punting the season comment. I wasn't trying to get into a Peraza vs Iglesias debate. I was just mentioning that the dropoff isn't that steep.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 09:56 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote:  I was just mentioning that the dropoff isn't that steep.

I was agreeing with you.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Defense is not that important at some positions, but at SS it is the reason I would also take Iglesias over Peraza.

For some reason, I didn’t think that you would agree with me on this. The offensive numbers are too similar with as much difference with the glove that there is. There’s a lot of interesting choices to be made this year. There are many different directions to go in.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 09:56 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Me, too. However, what are they going to gain from him being SS for 25-30 games in September and he signs elsewhere? If they are in the hunt, keep him, but if it doesn't look like he's going to re-sign and teams are offering something for him then trade him.

I was just disagreeing with the punting the season comment. I wasn't trying to get into a Peraza vs Iglesias debate. I was just mentioning that the dropoff isn't that steep.

The drop off offensively isn’t big. I said punting because of the weak glove coupled with very long periods of nothing from his bat. He has went on hot streaks in the past to get his numbers up but there are long periods when he’s non existent. It feels like he has a 2B glove and a SS bat, if he could only flip that.
Reply/Quote