Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joseph Ossai
(12-17-2021, 11:27 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: A depth pass-rusher would be great, but we 100% DO NOT NEED a high pick in pass rushing.

We are second in the league in sacks. /story.

I didn’t realize we are that high. Gotta give some major props to Tobin for Hendrickson, BJ Hill, and Ogunjobi. That’s a LOT of sacks he added to the DL in one year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 11:27 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: A depth pass-rusher would be great, but we 100% DO NOT NEED a high pick in pass rushing.

Which is why it would be amazing to have a Von Miller type of player to make this a scary & elite defense. It would be fun to be known for having an historically great defense that carried the team throughout the playoffs. I'm thinking like Ravens of past and the year Miller and the Broncos won the Super Bowl for Manning. Manning's post game quote was basically, "Best f'ing defense ever!"
Reply/Quote

It'll be interesting to see what we do at DT this off season. I really hope we re-sign BJ Hill to a long term contract. I hope we give Ogunjobi a good deal as well, but he has been a bit inconsistent and he may end up going to another team for big money based on his sack success from the DT position. If we lose one or both of them, then we have a sizeable or gaping hole, respectively, at pass rusher.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 02:01 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It'll be interesting to see what we do at DT this off season. I really hope we re-sign BJ Hill to a long term contract. I hope we give Ogunjobi a good deal as well, but he has been a bit inconsistent and he may end up going to another team for big money based on his sack success from the DT position. If we lose one or both of them, then we have a sizeable or gaping hole, respectively, at pass rusher.

I agree on the Larry front. I like him more than Hill, but I think he'll get a larger contract elsewhere.

If neither is brought back, then we'll probably need to find a DT/UT in the first 2 days.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 04:40 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Agreed, and when I see the BALT rookie Oweh, he reminds me of Ossai and Oweh looks like a good player for BALT.
Another key to next yr pass rush is to secure our Interior DTs. Do we keep both Larry O and BJ? can we afford it? 
if only one who do we keep?  My take is Larry O seems to always start off a game early on with a couple of splash plays and then sort of dissapears (IDK, maybe its a conditioning thing ?) BJ on other hand seems to be a bit more overall consistent. Its a pick your poison sitiuation 

No doubt have to bring back at least one of Ogunjobi or BJ Hill, preferably we bring back both and let Tupou go and develop 
Shelvin as our big run stopper at DT. Keep that DT room deep, it is maybe our deepest position and our biggest reason we are
so much better at stopping the run this season and freeing up Hendrickson and Hubbard.

Ossai is very versatile too, he is good at dropping back in coverage and can stop the run. One of the best in the nation at 
getting tackles for loss in college. Really excited to see what he becomes.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 10:16 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Free agent, and your post was literally you saying "the one thing".

Even then, that's a REALLY shitty OL even if you add Spain back into it. Burrow is leading the league in sacks and sack yards last I checked, and that'd be just giving him a worse OL than now.

I understand Spain will be a FA but he isn't a top tier FA, but should get a solid check.  He's reliable and a great attitude.  And you can't say that about an unknown like Smith and Adeniji.  Or Carman for that matter.  
Reply/Quote

I will argue that a better speed pass rusher from the blind side helps the entire back seven.  I don't see any position that could have that single impact on the entire team.

They may be second in the league in sacks, but how did they do when Hendrickson went out?  The final drive?  No pass rush.  
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 05:02 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will argue that a better speed pass rusher from the blind side helps the entire back seven.  I don't see any position that could have that single impact on the entire team.

They may be second in the league in sacks, but how did they do when Hendrickson went out?  The final drive?  No pass rush.  

Center. Pressure up the middle is a killer for both the pass and the run, and they touch the ball every single play. Good shotgun snapping makes your QB's job easier and lets them get rid of the ball faster if they never have to reach down low or high for the ball. You'll win almost every QB sneak, too.

The DTs got 3 sacks after Hendrickson was out.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 05:02 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will argue that a better speed pass rusher from the blind side helps the entire back seven.  I don't see any position that could have that single impact on the entire team.

TLL said it for me, but yeah, they got all their non-Hendrickson sacks, after Hendrickson went out so...

Ossai and Hubert coming back, we only need depth on the edge, trust me Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 07:58 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: TLL said it for me, but yeah, they got all their non-Hendrickson sacks, after Hendrickson went out so...

Yeah, extend the DT's and take care of the OL should be the top priorities this Offseason. 

Would I like to add another top pass rusher? Sure but I have a lot of confidence in Hendrickson, Ossai, Hubbard, Cam and Hubert
for the future as well. Our DT room just needs to stay strong while we add to the OL, sure would be nice to get Lindenbaum the 
Center from Iowa in the first but I think he goes in the teens before we pick and I don't know much about any of the other Centers
in this class. I like Hopkins but I want an elite Center, been wanting one forever it seems.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 05:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Center. Pressure up the middle is a killer for both the pass and the run, and they touch the ball every single play. Good shotgun snapping makes your QB's job easier and lets them get rid of the ball faster if they never have to reach down low or high for the ball. You'll win almost every QB sneak, too.

The DTs got 3 sacks after Hendrickson was out.

Center is the least valuable position on the offensive line.  Rarely does someone line up over the center.  I am still a believer that you can't have four solid offensive linemen, though, and right now Center is one of the weak spots on the line.  

I understand the DTs got those three sacks, and that was great to see, but I still believe to have an elite defense you need elite outside pass rushers.  Ossai has great potential.  Hendrickson has been huge.  But I still want another pass rusher first and foremost.  

Note:  this pass rusher doesn't have to be a DE.  It would be an elite outside LB.  
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 07:58 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: TLL said it for me, but yeah, they got all their non-Hendrickson sacks, after Hendrickson went out so...

We need a LB that is a top tier pass rusher and can cover a speed option out of the backfield.  I hate to say it, but Burfict was amazing at this in his prime.  
Reply/Quote
I'm all for keeping this entire defensive line together. They work really well together, not only at getting after the passer, but in stopping the run as well. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Getting Ossai back into the mix will bring the speed rusher you desire.
Reply/Quote
Having him on those 3rd and mediums would be a god send right now
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Ossai is a beast and certainly could have helped Bengals be #1 in sacking QB's.

Will not be surprised to see a new shiny toy like a pass rusher selected and neglecting O-line in another draft.

Happens often in these parts.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 02:21 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Ossai is a beast and certainly could have helped Bengals be #1 in sacking QB's.

Will not be surprised to see a new shiny toy like a pass rusher selected and neglecting O-line in another draft.

Happens often in these parts.

Now even a pass rusher is considered a “shiny new toy?” So basically any position other than OL is. Got it.

Anyway, unless a stud DE/OLB drops and totally falls in their laps I highly doubt they’d take one high this year. Safe bet it’ll be OL or CB with our first couple picks, imo.

Reply/Quote
If there is a brightside to Ossai's injury, it is that we have been able to prove we can rush the passer with the current personnel. Getting Ossai in the mix next season will be an addition to the depth of the unit as a whole. This line should be fun to watch next year.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 02:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Now even a pass rusher is considered a “shiny new toy?” So basically any position other than OL is. Got it.

Anyway, unless a stud DE/OLB drops and totally falls in their laps I highly doubt they’d take one high this year. Safe bet it’ll be OL or CB with our first couple picks, imo.

Only when the O-line is so pressing. By the way I backed the drafting of Chase so know not why you are on some sort of witch hunt to prove otherwise. But yes players who sack QB's, catch TD's, run for TD's, or throw TD's are shiny toys in my opinion and this year I'm backing an O-line selection.

Love the shiny toys too, but we've already addressed those needs imo with Ossai and Chase. 

Would rather see a LBer who can cover a TE personally rather than be a star pass rusher which we got already with Ossai imo. Just think the Bengals are set at pass rushing with Hubbard, Hendrickson, and Ossai all signed for years to come and the DT's getting pressure too. 

Yet as of now our RT and LG contracts are up and everybody just thinks its a given they will stay put, and they're our good players. 

Think RB is the only shiny toy position needed this offseason and would not use an early pick on that.  Think a shutdown CB and a LBer that can cover are all that is needed on defensive side of ball but don't see that falling into our laps. We will not be drafting in the top 5 anymore.  

Still think O-line is only thing that can get Bengals over the hump and definitely don't want to see a QB as good as Joe taking so many hits after this season when we've all known this has been an issue for years now. 

In the first three rounds under Zac the Bengals have drafted (1) QB, (2) WR's, (1) TE, (1) LB/DE and (2) LBers, and (2) O-linemen in Carman and Jonah with those nine early round picks. Thats not enough attention given to our Achilles heel of an O-line.

Could see a CB but Awuzie and Hilton are both under contract for years to come as well. 

Plus if you load up on shiny toys ? Then when Burrow, Chase, and Higgins contracts are due to be extended they will just become salary cap casualties and released. Yes you are correct in assuming that I would like the O-line addressed heavily in this off season. 

Just out of curiosity, do you think the Bengals did the wrong thing by kicking XP and going into OT instead of going for the gusto by going for two point conversion and putting it all on the one play ?  Remember you taking Harbaugh's back and saying the analytics always says you should go for the 43% chance 2 point conversion and not go into OT.   

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 10:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Only when the O-line is so pressing. By the way I backed the drafting of Chase so know not why you are on some sort of witch hunt to prove otherwise. But yes players who sack QB's, catch TD's, run for TD's, or throw TD's are shiny toys in my opinion and this year I'm backing an O-line selection.

Love the shiny toys too, but we've already addressed those needs imo with Ossai and Chase. 

Would rather see a LBer who can cover a TE personally rather than be a star pass rusher which we got already with Ossai imo. Just think the Bengals are set at pass rushing with Hubbard, Hendrickson, and Ossai all signed for years to come and the DT's getting pressure too. 

Yet as of now our RT and LG contracts are up and everybody just thinks its a given they will stay put, and they're our good players. 

Think RB is the only shiny toy position needed this offseason and would not use an early pick on that.  Think a shutdown CB and a LBer that can cover are all that is needed on defensive side of ball but don't see that falling into our laps. We will not be drafting in the top 5 anymore.  

Still think O-line is only thing that can get Bengals over the hump and definitely don't want to see a QB as good as Joe taking so many hits after this season when we've all known this has been an issue for years now. 

In the first three rounds under Zac the Bengals have drafted (1) QB, (2) WR's, (1) TE, (1) LB/DE and (2) LBers, and (2) O-linemen in Carman and Jonah with those nine early round picks. Thats not enough attention given to our Achilles heel of an O-line.

Could see a CB but Awuzie and Hilton are both under contract for years to come as well. 

Plus if you load up on shiny toys ? Then when Burrow, Chase, and Higgins contracts are due to be extended they will just become salary cap casualties and released. Yes you are correct in assuming that I would like the O-line addressed heavily in this off season. 

Just out of curiosity, do you think the Bengals did the wrong thing by kicking XP and going into OT instead of going for the gusto by going for two point conversion and putting it all on the one play ?  Remember you taking Harbaugh's back and saying the analytics always says you should go for the 43% chance 2 point conversion and not go into OT.   

No idea why you think I’m on a “witch hunt” I just think labeling the DL as a shiny toy is bizarre. The trenches are the trenches. No matter which side of the ball.

As to kicking the FG at the end of the game? I absolutely hated the conservative play calling in OT, but I don’t blame ZT for not going for 2 in regulation. With how Burrow was slinging it I was fine going for OT. It was once we were there that I had a problem.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 10:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No idea why you think I’m on a “witch hunt” I just think labeling the DL as a shiny toy is bizarre. The trenches are the trenches. No matter which side of the ball.

As to kicking the FG at the end of the game? I absolutely hated the conservative play calling in OT, but I don’t blame ZT for not going for 2 in regulation. With how Burrow was slinging it I was fine going for OT. It was once we were there that I had a problem.

Love the trenches on both sides of the ball. Yet feel Bengals are much more set on one side as opposed to the other and the O-line needs some loving care. 

They were talking about an elite pass rusher which I consider a "shiny toy" but not necessarily a present need in my opinion. 

Plus I am way more of a defense guy than an offense guy. Have made many posts and probably even threads of how neglected the defensive side of the ball has been over the years in draft by Bengals. Anyway that side of the ball seems very close already imo and the skill players on offense are already elite too. 

Just see the O-line as a glaring weakness. Plus the Bengals have shown me many of shiny toys when trenches needed addressed throughout the years. John Ross for example, let Whit and Zeitler walk and then sign a midget WR. Took me back to when they did a similar move drafting Peter Warrick.   

Oh well I supported the drafting of Chase and I now support the drafting of O-line players once again. Maybe I'm wrong but will stand by it and hoping Joe makes it through the season until help arrives.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote