Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joseph Ossai
Are we ready to close the book on him yet?

He's been an absolute ghost this year. I, like many, had high expectations for him coming into the year after he "kind of" flashed last year...but he's been a major dissapointment.

Looking back, I think the writing is on the wall from some organizational moves that he just may not be the guy. Extending Hendrickson and drafting Murphy in the first round is what I'm talking about.

Murphy has been increasing his snap count as the season goes on and Ossai has been decreasing his. He's only played in about 10% of the defensive snaps over the last few games and he didn't even record a snap in the Steelers game.

He's only 23 and Im not sure if he's been battling injury or what - but he's only got another year left on his rookie contact...time to put up.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 10:58 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Are we ready to close the book on him yet?

He's been an absolute ghost this year. I, like many, had high expectations for him coming into the year after he "kind of" flashed last year...but he's been a major dissapointment.

Looking back, I think the writing is on the wall from some organizational moves that he just may not be the guy. Extending Hendrickson and drafting Murphy in the first round is what I'm talking about.

Murphy has been increasing his snap count as the season goes on and Ossai has been decreasing his. He's only played in about 10% of the defensive snaps over the last few games and he didn't even record a snap in the Steelers game.

He's only 23 and Im not sure if he's been battling injury or what - but he's only got another year left on his rookie contact...time to put up.

Ossai injury update (thebengalsboard.com)

Looks like he had a high ankle sprain in preseason, but pretty much crickets since.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think he’s mentally shot from the afc championship. And then they drafted Murphy in the 1st which probably didn’t help his already fragile mind state.

What other explanation is there?

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 11:35 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I think he’s mentally shot from the afc championship. And then they drafted Murphy in the 1st which probably didn’t help his already fragile mind state.

sign Josh Allen in offseason....not the QB
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 11:35 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I think he’s mentally shot from the afc championship. And then they drafted Murphy in the 1st which probably didn’t help his already fragile mind state.

if he is that fragile, he will continue to do nothing in the NFL regardless where he goes
Reply/Quote
I think its less Joseph Ossai and more Myles Murphy flat out taking his snap share which is what we want to see. Sam Hubbard better watch his spot for 2024.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 12:10 PM)Synric Wrote: I think its less Joseph Ossai and more Myles Murphy flat out taking his snap share which is what we want to see. Sam Hubbard better watch his spot for 2024.

that would be a great problem to have since Hubbard is stud on run downs and very consistent and smart pass rusher
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 10:58 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Are we ready to close the book on him yet?

Ossai was basically a traits based prospect coming out of college.  Some of these guys develop.  Others don't.  On top of that, he's had a lot of injuries and that has probably negatively affected his development.

However, he's still cheap depth on a rookie contract, so there's really not much reason to push to replace him as the 5th DE.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 12:10 PM)Synric Wrote: I think its less Joseph Ossai and more Myles Murphy flat out taking his snap share which is what we want to see. Sam Hubbard better watch his spot for 2024.

I'd love to see more Murphy and less Hubbard on passing downs. 
Reply/Quote
Ossai has been pretty mediocre since he was drafted. Im not sure why people were expecting him to be this big pass rusher this year. He could certainly be a bust but maybe he gets better. Sometimes it takes guys a few years to develop
Reply/Quote
Joseph Ossai
PJ Dawson
Will Clarke
Malek Jefferson
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Dude sacked Tom Brady in pre-season and then all down hill from there....

He's young only 23... I'm not willing to give up on him yet. Not like you have to pay him he hasn't earned it so keep him and see if he can develop
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 12:43 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Dude sacked Tom Brady in pre-season and then all down hill from there....

He's young only 23... I'm not willing to give up on him yet. Not like you have to pay him he hasn't earned it so keep him and see if he can develop

It wasn’t so much that it was Brady, but that it was Wirfs he beat to do it. But at the end of the day the key word is preseason. He’s been a massive disappointment since.

Reply/Quote
Ossai was making an impact late last season and in the playoffs. Don’t just write him off as the 2022 preseason guy

Hopefully he can mentally recover and play well in 2024

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
I'd say Ossai has definitely been the biggest disappointment this season for individual players. His stock was ascending in 2022. We expected him to step up and become the next best pass rusher after Trey. Something had to have happened in the offseason because he was getting a lot of playing time in the preseason when plenty of media and fans thought he should be resting on the sidelines with a lot of other key defenders. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Ossai has disappointed, but he did seem like he was turning a corner late last season. So there was some legit reasons for fan expectations leading up to this year.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 12:25 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Joseph Ossai
PJ Dawson
Will Clarke
Malek Jefferson

Add Dontay Moch to this list, too. 
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 12:25 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Joseph Ossai
PJ Dawson
Will Clarke
Malek Jefferson

Avoid Big 12 defenders?  Isn't Big 12 defender kind of an oxymoron anyway?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 01:27 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Ossai was making an impact late last season and in the playoffs. Don’t just write him off as the 2022 preseason guy

Hopefully he can mentally recover and play well in 2024

This is my biggest thing. He was actually playing well last year at times and is just non existent this year. He was trending up. 
Reply/Quote
I suppose it comes down to the Benjamins. If he wants a nice contract, buh bye. If they want to retain him and it's on the cheap then he remain with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote