Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joseph Ossai Possible Break Out 2024? Other Bengal Breakout candidates?
(03-28-2024, 02:05 PM)jason Wrote: I'd even take it all the way back to Shipley... There was definitely something there, but injury robbed him of it.

Yeah, that one set them back. He was Dalton's 'veteran' escape outlet for about a game and a half and that was it. Andre Caldwell and Jerome Simpson were the other two veterans left after the TO/Ochocinco debacle.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 02:18 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Devon still went to penn state

That makes it weirder. 

As to the UT thing:

Jordan Shipley had a GREAT rookie year and then it all came crashing down.

Perhaps our best UT alum was a dude we picked up off the street (Ced Benson RIP)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ossai can definitely breakout but he has to be given a fair opportunity as well. I question Lou and Hobby's line Rotation and how they use both Sample and Ossai. To me both guys roles should be reversed and if that happens both will flourish.

As for other breakouts I would look at Dax Hill. If he gets a chance at NB in training camp I think he wins the position battle and starts week 1.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
At this point, I would rather trade him and get anything we can out of him.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 08:18 PM)J24 Wrote: Ossai can definitely breakout but he has to be given a fair opportunity as well. I question Lou and Hobby's line Rotation and how they use both Sample and Ossai. To me both guys roles should be reversed and if that happens both will flourish.

As for other breakouts I would look at Dax Hill. If he gets a chance at NB in training camp I think he wins the position  battle and starts week 1.

Ossai was hurt, that is why he wasn't used as much. If he can finally get healthy I am sure the coaches will give him a lot more snaps
than Cam Sample as he is a better pass rusher. BTW, you think Dax beats out Hilton one of the best Slot Corners in the league eh?

I have as high of expectations for Dax as anyone but I don't know about him beating out Hilton. Dax will get his though in different 
ways.

(03-28-2024, 08:19 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: At this point, I would rather trade him and get anything we can out of him.

You wouldn't get anything for him, better to keep him and hope he finally lives up to his potential IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 04:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ossai was hurt, that is why he wasn't used as much. If he can finally get healthy I am sure the coaches will give him a lot more snaps
than Cam Sample as he is a better pass rusher. BTW, you think Dax beats out Hilton one of the best Slot Corners in the league eh?

I have as high of expectations for Dax as anyone but I don't know about him beating out Hilton. Dax will get his though in different 
ways.

You wouldn't get anything for him, better to keep him and hope he finally lives up to his potential IMO.

I'm saying that they should use Ossai as an Edge and Sample as a DT when they use their Nascar packages.

I stand by the Dax Comment! He is way more athletic, just as physical, and can cover man to man better than Hilton.
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 08:53 PM)J24 Wrote: I'm saying that they should use Ossai as an Edge and Sample as a DT when they use their Nascar packages.

I stand by the Dax Comment! He is way more athletic, just as physical, and can cover man to man better than Hilton.

Yoshi is more athletic than just about every receiver in the league, has all the size and can run faster than most…. So he might beat out Jamar.

These takes on unproven players is getting a bit out of control. Mike Hilton is one of the most consistent players, every game, and we think Dax has a shot to beat him out? I hope he contributes in a meaningful way, but cmon… this is getting ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2024, 01:23 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Yoshi is more athletic than just about every receiver in the league, has all the size and can run faster than most…. So he might beat out Jamar.

These takes on unproven players is getting a bit out of control.  Mike Hilton is one of the most consistent players, every game, and we think Dax has a shot to beat him out?  I hope he contributes in a meaningful way, but cmon… this is getting ridiculous.

Dax Hill was a first RD pick and was one of the best NB in the draft the year he  was drafted. Also he excells in man coverage, excellent Blitzer, and is an excellent run stopper.  

Mike Hilton is 30 years old and struggles in man coverage as is. Putting Dax at Nickle gives the Bengals more scheme versatility.
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2024, 10:24 AM)J24 Wrote: Dax Hill was a first RD pick and was one of the best NB in the draft the year he  was drafted. Also he excells in man coverage, excellent Blitzer, and is an excellent run stopper.  

Mike Hilton is 30 years old and struggles in man coverage as is. Putting Dax at Nickle gives the Bengals more scheme versatility.

Citing a round someone was picked is so silly. Billy price, John Ross, Cedric O, we can keep going.

If Dax hill excelled, as you say, in those categories he wouldn’t be going on his third position in 3 years. Mike Hilton is one of our most consistent players. Putting Dax at nickel might give them more versatility, but it gives the team much more volatility.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2024, 11:00 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Citing a round someone was picked is so silly.  Billy price, John Ross, Cedric O, we can keep going.  

If Dax hill excelled, as you say, in those categories he wouldn’t be going on his third position in 3 years.  Mike Hilton is one of our most consistent players.  Putting Dax at nickel might give them more versatility, but it gives the team much more volatility.

Dax should have been a NB from the beginning of his career. Expecting him to excel at a position(FS) that he never really played at was a dumb plan from the beginning. 

https://twitter.com/zimwhodey/status/1769167496605577426?t=beQm7hZ0ezUN0M_14Sp0AQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Russell7/status/1768107410969825709?t=6GZH4pAv2bNeo-dNlDnp0A&s=19

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Russell7/status/1768109149949194620?t=GYfK-WvwUVuBU97JrGDbag&s=19

Also it's not like the guy didn't produce some solid numbers. 110 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 TFLs, 2 INT, and 11 PD.
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2024, 11:10 AM)J24 Wrote: Dax should have been a NB from the beginning of his career. Expecting him to excel at a position(FS) that he never really played at was a dumb plan from the beginning. 

https://twitter.com/zimwhodey/status/1769167496605577426?t=beQm7hZ0ezUN0M_14Sp0AQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Russell7/status/1768107410969825709?t=6GZH4pAv2bNeo-dNlDnp0A&s=19

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Russell7/status/1768109149949194620?t=GYfK-WvwUVuBU97JrGDbag&s=19

Also it's not like the guy didn't produce some solid numbers. 110 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 TFLs, 2 INT, and 11 PD.

In what world has Dax hill proven he is better than Mike Hilton? He might develop into more than Hilton. But factually as of today, what has he proven?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2024, 11:38 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: In what world has Dax hill proven he is better than Mike Hilton?  He might develop into more than Hilton.  But factually as of today, what has he proven?

You're right he hasn't yet but that doesn't mean he won't. The NFL is a cold world where older players are replaced!
J24

Reply/Quote
If he does break out this season doubt the Bengals will be able to re-sign him and it will be his last year in stripes.

Yet still it would be a nice boon for the team if he does play well. Thought he was going to be a Tasmanian Devil from the cartoons type of player when drafted.

Hoping that comes to fruition this season but like I said before, he has to show me now.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 12:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It just seems like none of our UT picks ever work out. Hopefully that changes if they end up drafting Sweat or Murphy.

Oh, I've posted in the draft section that seems the only good players that come out of UT are RB's. The rest just never seem to live up to the hype. Which of course makes me leary of Murphy and Sweat. Which is why i kinda like Kris Jenkins over both of them. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2024, 02:22 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Oh, I've posted in the draft section that seems the only good players that come out of UT are RB's. The rest just never seem to live up to the hype. Which of course makes me leary of Murphy and Sweat. Which is why i kinda like Kris Jenkins over both of them. 

The weight problems and attitude make me leery of Sweat... Folding that guy in half at the senior bowl aside. He just doesn't seem like a guy that Zac and the boys claim they want to be a part of the team.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 12:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It just seems like none of our UT picks ever work out. Hopefully that changes if they end up drafting Sweat or Murphy.

(03-28-2024, 01:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which is weird, going as far back as Devon Still who was a 2nd round pick, just flop after flop.

Aha, I think that I see the misunderstanding.  When I saw UT picks not working out, I read it as Under Tackles, rather than University of Toledo.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

I forget the UDFA from UT the Bengals signed many years back, it the life of the previous board. Crazy measurables... I want to day his last name was Person.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2024, 11:38 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: In what world has Dax hill proven he is better than Mike Hilton?  He might develop into more than Hilton.  But factually as of today, what has he proven?

I think Lou let Hill and Hilton battle it out in camp. May the best man win, if it is Dax, we could trade Hilton and save almost 6.5 million in cap space. I like Hilton, but will he start losing a step at age 30? 

If they are both great, it is a nice problem to have using them both in passing situations, both can blitz and QB and OL would have to account for at least 1 of them. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 08:53 PM)J24 Wrote: I'm saying that they should use Ossai as an Edge and Sample as a DT when they use their Nascar packages.

Agree on using Ossai on the edge and Sample as the DT in the Nascar packages. 

I think Dax is most definitely the future replacement for Hilton and may even be an upgrade, but I don't see him taking his spot this year.

Hilton is still really good.
Reply/Quote
Still gonna stay with Yoshi as our breakout player
Reply/Quote