Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joseph Ossai
(05-07-2021, 09:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I tend to agree with you on Lou, and his vision of an NFL defense.  He inherited a defense with players with skill sets stronger in Man coverage, when he prefers Zone. This is year three, he's been able to get the team to move on from players that didn't agree with his philosophy, and has filled those spots with players who's skill sets better fit what he wants to run.

Now, more than ever, is do or die time for Lou Annarumo and the Bengals defense.  They still have new faces to integrate, but that process should only cause confusion for the first few games.  If we're near the bottom in Defense this year?  I would expect Lou to be gone, maybe Zac as well.
Lou has $200M invested in his side of the ball in free agency in 2 years and multiple draft picks. I'd say if his defense isn't in the 10-15 range the guy needs fired. He hasn't shown me one bit of competence as a DC yet
Reply/Quote
Ossai is my second favorite player out of this draft (Chase, of course). When we selected him I instantly felt like this was going to be a good draft. The next selection of Sample made me even more confident this would be a good draft. All in all I thought we made a lot of nice selections. I was iffy at first on trading down in the 2nd, but it worked out well.

Ossai is my second favorite player though. He’s got a great motor and feel for the game. He makes a lot of big plays throughout games. He should definitely improve our pass rush this year as the 3rd guy in the rotation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Believe the Bengals stole Ossai in this draft.

Instant fan

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 08:15 AM)PDub80 Wrote:  the WRONG players extended and kept around, 

Good thing Zac Taylor came along to give Preston Brown a two-year contract extension after the 2018 season.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 01:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good thing Zac Taylor came along to give Preston Brown a two-year contract extension after the 2018 season.

Brown was extended March 13th. Taylor was brought in Feb 4th. That's awfully soon for that to be all Taylor, especially since the DC was hired Feb 21st.

Regardless, that poor choice was rectified when Brown was cut.... which falls in line with not KEEPING those guys around.

I didn't hate Brown, but he clearly wasn't going to fit a modern NFL LB corps, as evidenced by his short stints with the Raiders & Jags... both in 2019... and then being out of football in 2020.

Rather than stick with a bad decision, the Bengals realized their mistakes and cut bait quickly.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 08:38 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on Ossai. He was a prospect I really had not watched much film on so I have been watching some since the draft. I did see that he had an INT and a sack of Joe Burrows. He has one heck of a motor and it appears from what I have seen that he does a pretty good job of getting off of blocks and while he has really good quickness and speed he uses it in a controlled manner and does not run himself out of plays.

Just wondering what you guys think of him and what impact you feel me may have as a rookie?

This guy is pro ready as a rookie. Smart and extremely talented. Versatile enough to play End or LB. Has great instincts, pass 
rushing skills and takes great angles with speed. Once he diagnoses a play it is over whether it is a tackle for loss or a sack.

Didn't expect him to be around in the 3rd round which is why I never mentioned him prior to the Draft. Complete steal.
Reply/Quote
Didn't know much about Ossai until we drafted him, but after watching multiple videos on this guy we absolutely stole him. Who was it said they hated the 3rd day of the draft again? One thing that stood out to me is that he not only gets to the QB or nails the runner in the backfield, he seems to be a beast at the strip.... which is something the Bengals lack.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 08:55 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Aside from Rousseau’s stupidly awesome physical traits that made him my favorite pass rusher Ossai was easily my 2nd favorite. I initially was on the Basham train until I saw some misdirection failures that made me have Lamar Jackson nightmares and general football IQ stuff that made me cool on him. Then I watched Ossai and was wowed. He is fun to watch 100 mph. Got f’d up by Teven Jenkins but kept coming and making plays. At one point I was thinking  of ways we could trade back in the first and get him and still get a top T prospect.

Instead we steal him in the 3rd. If it wasn’t for trading back landing a home grown massive talent at our biggest position of need and getting two 4ths that turned into a monster DT and superb small school OL project he would be my favorite draft pick.

Yeah, I saw tape from the Texas vs OK State game. Ossai was the guy who Jenkins drove into the sideline. F***ing brutal. LOL But you're right. It didn't phase Ossai at all. Too bad this nickname's been taken. It sure does fit Joseph O. [Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginal...f=1&nofb=1]
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote