Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Allen Contract Extension
(08-09-2021, 04:30 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I don't understand what he has done to even come close to deserving anywhere near what Mahomes makes. I mean I understand you have to have a QB, but shit paying 250 million dollars to Josh Allen who's only just gotten half way good or the kind of money Kirk Cousins makes to be mediocre. Not to mention constantly overdrafting QB's in the draft every year because you gots to have one early and often even when there's only 1 or 2 guys worth a first round pick.

Your last sentence answered your first. Maybe I'm not getting your post though.

Having a franchise QB is way more valuable than the (5-8?) million/year on the cap that you're worried about. If Allen got 35/year everybody would say it was a great deal. Drafting well and bringing in the right FAs is more important than paying a QB market value to keep him. I do think you're lower on Allen than I am though. He was developmental coming out of Wyoming. Diggs was a savior, I definitely get that, but his game is still growing.

Mayfield is an interesting case. I think he'll continue to be very good with Stefanski. I remember saying before last season that offense was perfect for Baker. Mayfield still makes some bad, rushed decisions when the pocket collapses. Stefanski minimizes that a lot and plays to Baker's strengths.

I wish the Ravens would've signed Lamar before Allen signed.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 02:06 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Terms: #Bills and QB Josh Allen have reached agreement on a 6-year, $258M extension, locking him in through 2028. $150M guaranteed, per
@AdamSchefter
. That comes out to $43M per year. Massive. Money

Comes out to average $43 Million per season until 2028.   Bengals better win the next 2 seasons because Joey Burrows about to have a BIG pay day if he has a good year this year and next.

WIth rumors of the cap going up to something like $300 million, the % of that total that goes to the QB will be similar to the % of the current cap, and the top 10 QBs will all be making over $40 million.  It won't prevent the team from signing anyone else.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 11:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: WIth rumors of the cap going up to something like $300 million, the % of that total that goes to the QB will be similar to the % of the current cap, and the top 10 QBs will all be making over $40 million.  It won't prevent the team from signing anyone else.  

basing contracts off rumors isnt smart business

but in the end you pay for what you expect to get during that contract. If he continues his trend upward then it might be worth while and if not it will at least cause tension in other locker rooms lol
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 05:02 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: basing contracts off rumors isnt smart business

but in the end you pay for what you expect to get during that contract.   If he continues his trend upward then it might be worth while and if not it will at least cause tension in other locker rooms lol

I believe it is a pretty well-known leak to teams as they prepare to manage their caps long term, but I never give too much time to contracts and cap management.  

Truth is, what Bates said is 100% posturing likely from his agent.  The optics look bad for the Bengals....I mean, we are paying Trae Waynes a lot more money than Bates and he hasn't done a damn thing here (yet).  But that is the NFL.  There is a rookie wage scale now that was very much needed.  The second contract offer from the Bengals could very well have been top 3 money, but Bates might be projecting that next cap and saying he is worth $20 million per instead of $15 million.  Either way, I am willing to wager that Bates is eventually signed, the money is VERY fair, and the national media has no comment since it doesn't fit their narrative.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 09:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I believe it is a pretty well-known leak to teams as they prepare to manage their caps long term, but I never give too much time to contracts and cap management.  

Truth is, what Bates said is 100% posturing likely from his agent.  The optics look bad for the Bengals....I mean, we are paying Trae Waynes a lot more money than Bates and he hasn't done a damn thing here (yet).  But that is the NFL.  There is a rookie wage scale now that was very much needed.  The second contract offer from the Bengals could very well have been top 3 money, but Bates might be projecting that next cap and saying he is worth $20 million per instead of $15 million.  Either way, I am willing to wager that Bates is eventually signed, the money is VERY fair, and the national media has no comment since it doesn't fit their narrative.  

I personally think, the longer you wait to sign Bates the higher that contract could potentially be.  

I think this all comes down to how much does the Bengals front office value safeties?  

The Bengals loved having Zeitler at guard and knew he was one of the best in the NFL, but they weren't going to pay him that amount because dont believe in paying guards. 

Same could be true for saftey.  The Bengals could think Bates is a hell of a guy, but they arent going to give him $15-20M because that type of money goes to DL, OT, WR, ect.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 05:49 PM)TJ528 Wrote: I personally think, the longer you wait to sign Bates the higher that contract could potentially be.  

I think this all comes down to how much does the Bengals front office value safeties?  

The Bengals loved having Zeitler at guard and knew he was one of the best in the NFL, but they weren't going to pay him that amount because dont believe in paying guards. 

Same could be true for saftey.  The Bengals could think Bates is a hell of a guy, but they arent going to give him $15-20M because that type of money goes to DL, OT, WR, ect.  

I hear that about Zeitler in reference to the Bengals "not paying guards", but there is not a person on these boards that wanted them to pay the $12 million per year (which was top of the market at that time) for Zeitler.  He's a solid guard, but he is not a Quinten Nelson.  They did invest a 2nd round pick on a guard, and although it isn't direct dollars, it is a lot of value placed on the position.  Just like when they drafted Zeitler in Rd 1.

I think extending that belief to safety is also just Debbie Downer logic.  They pay their elite players.  Simple as that, and their marketing team has been pimping Bates as the #1 safety in the league all offseason.  Bates seems to want to be here, but he won't be taking any home town discount (nor should he) as his agent is known for one thing:  highest dollar contracts for the top tier players.

I will all but guarantee Bates is signed for his next contract here, but I just don't know when that will be.  The Bengals have all the leverage right now.  They could wait until next year, and then tag him, which is reasonable for a safety.  Then two years from now, pony up $20 million per year.  I would rather them pay him now and lock him in, as you suggest, but it isn't mandatory by any stretch.  
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 02:06 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Terms: #Bills and QB Josh Allen have reached agreement on a 6-year, $258M extension, locking him in through 2028. $150M guaranteed, per
@AdamSchefter
. That comes out to $43M per year. Massive. Money

Comes out to average $43 Million per season until 2028.   Bengals better win the next 2 seasons because Joey Burrows about to have a BIG pay day if he has a good year this year and next.

The reason for Josh Allen getting the big payday was actually  the upward progression each of his three years  and the success he has had in the playoffs.   Allen is the main reason the Bills have had the success they have had the last couple years so Burrow is going to need have similar progression and success to be looking at that type of payday.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2021, 11:33 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The reason for Josh Allen getting the big payday was actually  the upward progression each of his three years  and the success he has had in the playoffs.   Allen is the main reason the Bills have had the success they have had the last couple years so Burrow is going to need have similar progression and success to be looking at that type of payday.

Yeah, Allen has made huge steps each year and now is at a real high level. Probably ranked 5th among QBs in the NFL right now with Watson losing that spot due to being in limbo. Assuming 2021 wasn't a fluke and that's the level he'll perform at now.

Crazy to think that both Allen and Burrow are heading into their Age 25 seasons right now.

If Burrow can reach 2021 Allen levels, win 13 games, go to the AFC Championship... the Bengals would probably be more than happy to throw all the money at Burrow. At the very least, Mike Brown has never had a problem with paying his QB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2021, 05:27 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, Allen has made huge steps each year and now is at a real high level. Probably ranked 5th among QBs in the NFL right now with Watson losing that spot due to being in limbo. Assuming 2021 wasn't a fluke and that's the level he'll perform at now.

Crazy to think that both Allen and Burrow are heading into their Age 25 seasons right now.

If Burrow can reach 2021 Allen levels, win 13 games, go to the AFC Championship... the Bengals would probably be more than happy to throw all the money at Burrow. At the very least, Mike Brown has never had a problem with paying his QB.

Yep that would be great
Reply/Quote
I think it’s a bad sign in a sport when one person on a team needs to be paid that much more than every other person.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote