Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Josh Bynes
(09-15-2020, 10:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I get the impression that if Herbert had a little more going on between the ears he could have gone before Burrow or Tua. The physical skills are off the charts, but he doesn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed to me.

Herbert is pretty sharp. He graduated with a 4.0 in Biology from Oregon and was named first team All-American Academic for three consecutive years.

He didn’t have great receivers at Oregon and he has accuracy struggles but he is a competitor and smart, just really laid back. Quite a bit more to work on.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 03:59 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Herbert is pretty sharp. He graduated with a 4.0 in Biology from Oregon and was named first team All-American Academic for three consecutive years.

He didn’t have great receivers at Oregon and he has accuracy struggles but he is a competitor and smart, just really laid back. Quite a bit more to work on.

Some of the stuff they had to coach him on during Hard Knocks (like not telegraphing plays) certainly didn’t give me that impression.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 04:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I was waiting on a thread about how he played. Thoughts? He sure looked a lot better to me than some people said he was. I thought his play was outstanding.

Looked way better than Vigil did last year, that is for damn sure and I like his passion out there.

That was a great goal line stop by Bynes. Dude is smart and takes good angles and is good in coverage and tackles well.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 03:23 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hey, the kid is amazing.  We all can see that...rookie mistakes notwithstanding.  But what that coach rolled out there in the first half.  I don't think you can try and be that stupid.  Last year it took 8 weeks to change the offensive line scheme and focus on running the ball.  It better take less than 5 days this year....

While I don't pretend to know all the nuances of coaching, schemes, etc., I will repeat what I said in the other thread. All of the radio guys I heard on Sirius were saying ZT had the perfect game plan for Burrow's first game. Their words were something along the lines of "This is exactly what you want to do when you have a rookie QB playing his first game" I'll just have to figure they know more than I do and take their words for it.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 08:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: While I don't pretend to know all the nuances of coaching, schemes, etc., I will repeat what I said in the other thread. All of the radio guys I heard on Sirius were saying ZT had the perfect game plan for Burrow's first game. Their words were something along the lines of "This is exactly what you want to do when you have a rookie QB playing his first game" I'll just have to figure they know more than I do and take their words for it.

I’ve seen plenty of criticism by the talking heads about not running one more play with 7 seconds though...

And the lack of timeouts to work with. I don’t think the word “perfect” should be used in the same sentence as Zac Taylor. He’s 2-15.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 09:08 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve seen plenty of criticism by the talking heads about not running one more play with 7 seconds though...

And the lack of timeouts to work with. I don’t think the word “perfect” should be used in the same sentence as Zac Taylor. He’s 2-15.

A lot of things can happen with those 7 seconds, and a lot of them are bad and would cost you the chance to make the kick. 20/20 hindsight. If they had run one more play, and any of those things had happened, those same people would be saying " Why didn't they just kick it and go to overtime?"
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 10:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A lot of things can happen with those 7 seconds, and a lot of them are bad and would cost you the chance to make the kick. 20/20 hindsight. If they had run one more play, and any of those things had happened, those same people would be saying " Why didn't they just kick it and go to overtime?"

As Trent Green said, "you don't **** around in this situation; kick the field goal." (paraphrasing, of course LOL)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 10:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A lot of things can happen with those 7 seconds, and a lot of them are bad and would cost you the chance to make the kick. 20/20 hindsight. If they had run one more play, and any of those things had happened, those same people would be saying " Why didn't they just kick it and go to overtime?"

Yet we lost anyway. The kick was obviously missed. There’s also no guarantee we win in OT.

To me you don’t take the ball out of your playmaker’s hands like that with the chance to win the game. Especially when Burrow was red hot. ZT should have had a somewhat safe play in his pocket right there.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 10:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yet we lost anyway. The kick was obviously missed. There’s also no guarantee we win in OT.

To me you don’t take the ball out of your playmaker’s hands like that with the chance to win the game. Especially when Burrow was red hot. ZT should have had a somewhat safe play in his pocket right there.

I believe when asked about it in the post game, Burrow said you have to go ahead and kick it in that situation. And the fact Randy missed does not factor into the decision, because that is hindsight.
Reply/Quote