Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Josh Bynes
(09-15-2020, 06:46 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: That’s the only asterisk I would put next to their performance. The Chargers have a pretty bad offense I think and I’d be interested to see how we fair against teams with more capable QBs... we’ll find out over the year.

The Chargers have a bridge QB, but Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, Hunter Henry, and those 3 RBs do not a bad offense make. That defense is good too. That wasn't a garbage team we played Sunday.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 07:18 PM)jason Wrote: The Chargers have a bridge QB, but Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, Hunter Henry, and those 3 RBs do not a bad offense make. That defense is good too. That wasn't a garbage team we played Sunday.

5-11 last year, a real powerhouse.
Reply/Quote
Bynes and Pratt look solid with experience the rookies did not look bad for not having OTA or preseason games they will look better as they get more experience. We have some depth there as well not just three starters feel much better about LB compared to last year.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 07:20 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: 5-11 last year, a real powerhouse.

This isn't last year... Williams missed time. Hunter Henry missed time. Melvin Gordon is inefficient as ****, and took away carries. Rivers was awful last year. They have Chris Harris Jr now... Bosa and Ingram missed time. I know we like to wallow, but I wouldn't be shocked if that team finishes second to KC in that division... And we didn't look that bad with the wacky off-season and TC... Anybody that thought we were getting LSU Burrow was sadly mistaken. I like what I saw on the field. Still don't like what I see from the coaching staff.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 07:20 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: 5-11 last year, a real powerhouse.

The Cardinals only won 5 games last year too and they look damn good so far. Things can change quickly in the NFL. That Chargers D is legit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 10:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Cardinals only won 5 games last year too and they look damn good so far. Things can change quickly in the NFL. That Chargers D is legit.

It didn't even dawn on me until today when i saw that clip of Cowherd saying the Chargers have one of the best CB tandems in the NFL to go along with their edge rushers. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 10:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It didn't even dawn on me until today when i saw that clip of Cowherd saying the Chargers have one of the best CB tandems in the NFL to go along with their edge rushers. 

I also think Lynn is a pretty good HC. I know you can only tell so much from watching Hard Knocks, but I was impressed with him.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 10:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I also think Lynn is a pretty good HC. I know you can only tell so much from watching Hard Knocks, but I was impressed with him.

I never did get around to watching that. I heard something about reports that Justin Herbert was kind of aloof, even around his teammates and i read something about how laid back he is. I had been thinking that all they need is that type of QB, big mobile and strong armed and with the weapons they have on O they could be playoff contenders. 

It will be interesting to see how they develope over the course of the year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 10:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I never did get around to watching that. I heard something about reports that Justin Herbert was kind of aloof, even around his teammates and i read something about how laid back he is. I had been thinking that all they need is that type of QB, big mobile and strong armed and with the weapons they have on O they could be playoff contenders. 

It will be interesting to see how they develope over the course of the year. 

I get the impression that if Herbert had a little more going on between the ears he could have gone before Burrow or Tua. The physical skills are off the charts, but he doesn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed to me.

Reply/Quote
He is a lot better than Brown that is for sure.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 05:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: My nuts travel.  Cool

Those guys.... I mean those girls can kick that hard eh?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 10:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I get the impression that if Herbert had a little more going on between the ears he could have gone before Burrow or Tua. The physical skills are off the charts, but he doesn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed to me.

Seems like the standard for QBs coming out of Oregon to the NFL. Physically gifted but not the highest football IQ, which is why the excel in the Oregon style offense. Just have to count on athletic ability, but that is always probably why Oregon always seems to struggle when they play the top Big 10 or SEC or ACC schools and you have to read the defense.

Note - I realize Fouts was an Oregon QB but that was decades ago and in a different system all together...plus... after being forced to listen to Fouts, he may not be that sharp anyways.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 07:18 PM)jason Wrote:
The Chargers have a bridge QB
, but Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, Hunter Henry, and those 3 RBs do not a bad offense make. That defense is good too. That wasn't a garbage team we played Sunday.

A lot of people trash Tyrod, but he's been playing in the league for what, 10 or 11 years? You don't last that long in the NFL without being halfway decent.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 07:34 PM)jason Wrote: This isn't last year... Williams missed time. Hunter Henry missed time. Melvin Gordon is inefficient as ****, and took away carries. Rivers was awful last year. They have Chris Harris Jr now... Bosa and Ingram missed time. I know we like to wallow, but I wouldn't be shocked if that team finishes second to KC in that division... And we didn't look that bad with the wacky off-season and TC... Anybody that thought we were getting LSU Burrow was sadly mistaken. I like what I saw on the field. Still don't like what I see from the coaching staff.

Was gonna say.... Philly Rivers turned the ball over in critical situations last year quite a bit.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 08:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A lot of people trash Tyrod, but he's been playing in the league for what, 10 or 11 years? You don't last that long in the NFL without being halfway decent.

Not to mention, I remember him torching us as a rookie with Baltimore. I know that's a long time ago, but it still happened. He's mobile, and he doesn't turn it over. I think they contained him rather well.

Reply/Quote
Saw a lot of energy and better tackling from the LB crew Sunday. Hopefully they stay healthy and continue to improve. They sure look better than last year.

Reply/Quote
From the plays that caught my eye, Bynes performed better than I expected. He showed some fire and enthusiasm, as well as the same for Jermaine Pratt. A far cry better than what we rolled out there to begin last season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 05:51 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I came away impressed. His lateral speed was much faster than I anticipated. For being an old vet he chased down ekeler to the perimeter before he made much yardage. Something we have sorely needed for a long long time around here.

He did exactly what he was brought here to do:  stabilize the LB corps with a veteran presence and help stop the run.  He absolutely accomplished that task.  The young LBs were very tentative in pass coverage, but I don't know how often they had played zone before.  You need to move WITH that guy that enters your zone.  Wilson allowed something like 5/5 for 75 yards.  He will get better.  

I was happy that the rookies were out there getting snaps and up to speed.  If the offense could find some blocking, a running game, some creativity, and actually win a few games the first half of the season, the defense could be really solid by week 9.

I don't have a lot of hope that happens, though.  All my hope for the Bengals died week 1 when ZT put up 13 points.  
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 10:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He did exactly what he was brought here to do:  stabilize the LB corps with a veteran presence and help stop the run.  He absolutely accomplished that task.  The young LBs were very tentative in pass coverage, but I don't know how often they had played zone before.  You need to move WITH that guy that enters your zone.  Wilson allowed something like 5/5 for 75 yards.  He will get better.  

I was happy that the rookies were out there getting snaps and up to speed.  If the offense could find some blocking, a running game, some creativity, and actually win a few games the first half of the season, the defense could be really solid by week 9.

I don't have a lot of hope that happens, though.  All my hope for the Bengals died week 1 when ZT put up 13 points.  

Ah, c'mon Racer, if not for a ticky tack call on Green we win that game.... rookie QB and all. I, for one, am stoked to tomorrow night.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 02:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Ah, c'mon Racer, if not for a ticky tack call on Green we win that game.... rookie QB and all. I, for one, am stoked to tomorrow night.

Hey, the kid is amazing.  We all can see that...rookie mistakes notwithstanding.  But what that coach rolled out there in the first half.  I don't think you can try and be that stupid.  Last year it took 8 weeks to change the offensive line scheme and focus on running the ball.  It better take less than 5 days this year....
Reply/Quote