Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Josh Bynes 2019
I realize I'm new here and my opinions probably don't hold much weight. In July 2015, I had a life changing injury and have been stuck at home ever since, aside from Dr's visits and such. Since then I have studied a lot of tape and learned more about the game. I love it. There's so much to see when you watch all 22 players in unison and rewatch a play over and over again.

So I'm willing to offer up my opinions on Bynes if anyone is interested. I appreciate life much more now and consider Bengals fans part of my football family, especially all the nice people on this board. We're rivals on the field but in life we're just people who love football. I started doing videos on youtube as my speech has improved. They're Ravens related so I don't think anyone would be interested. But if you'd like me to put together some clips on Bynes, I could do that too. Or if you just have questions, I'm here. I have the time that most busy people don't so I'd be happy to share any info.
Reply/Quote
Welcome to the boards, and thanks for volunteering your opinions on Bynes. Since you've studied him in depth and I really don't know much about him, let's start with the general, before moving to the specific.

In your opinion, do you feel like he's got enough "tread left on the tires" to be a valuable contributor? How is he on the basics, things like biting on PA, not getting plowed by an unblocked Guard, etc? Does he play smart in coverage? Better defending the middle, or flowing to the edges?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 09:00 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Welcome to the boards, and thanks for volunteering your opinions on Bynes.  Since you've studied him in depth and I really don't know much about him, let's start with the general, before moving to the specific.

In your opinion, do you feel like he's got enough "tread left on the tires" to be a valuable contributor?  How is he on the basics, things like biting on PA, not getting plowed by an unblocked Guard, etc?  Does he play smart in coverage?  Better defending the middle, or flowing to the edges?
Thanks for the welcome, enjoy reading your posts!

The tread itself is a concern. He's labored in his movements and it hurts him. There are examples of him lined up directly in front of a RB, defending a screen pass. He'll read it well but can't limit the gain without support from his DBs. You can scheme away from putting him in these positions but overall his range has become very limited. He's never been fast but now speed and quickness are obvious negatives.

As far as the basics are concerned, he's very good. It's part of what stabilized our terrible LB play before we got him. He will bite from time to time but won't be over aggressive and/or badly fooled. His eyes are a definite plus. At most, it's a false step or so before he drops back into position. He won't get blown up by pulling lineman and is willing to crash a running lane. But most of the time it seems like a stalemate. He plays physical but is not extra physical himself (if that makes sense). He's not going to slip many blocks either, another spot where athleticism can hurt him. He tends to work hard getting around blocks instead of a shoulder dip and slip. Rarely will he flat out beat the lineman to the spot even with a decent read.

Bynes is very disciplined in all fazes. He's money on the back side of runs and will not allow an easy cutback lane. He can handle some zone coverage duties but that's not where you want him. The Ravens often put 6 DBs on the field and played LJ Fort or Onwuasor in those situations instead of Bynes. He's a two down backer for sure but if you want to blitz on early downs, he can hold up in coverage for a bit and is an okay blitzer, nothing special there.

With the young, athletic LBs you have, Bynes shouldn't be asked to cover or chase the sideline much. He will always be in position. Even if he can't make the tackle himself he'll allow time for help to arrive.
Reply/Quote
Sorry for the second post but here are some specific highlights/lowlights from the second Ravens/Bengals game...

Q1- 3:49- Over runs gap a bit and gets caught in block (very rare example from across the season)
Q2- 9:28- Very good coverage on Uzomah forces broken play, was Finley's first read
8:02- Run blitz is on time but loses leverage and whiffs on Mixon
3:06- Protects his outside gap but is late assisting. Great cut by Mixon, 67 blocking Bynes. Like to see a more aggressive approach here
Q3-14:23- 66 does a nice job getting on him but Bynes does a great job forcing Mixon back inside where help is
13:36- Great leadership on QB sneak. Quickly changes DL alignment after Finley audibles (vet smarts)
Q4- 15:00- Highlight for sure. Great pursuit angle for 1 yd gain. Awesome read makes up for speed.
6:12- Another nice read, decent angle but Mixon jukes him

I figured some of you may have access to this game and can skip through to see these if you wanted.
Reply/Quote
We have a guy called Fred Toast here who’s a massive Josh Bynes fan. I’m sure he’ll love your thread!

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 02:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We have a guy called Fred Toast here who’s a massive Josh Bynes fan. I’m sure he’ll love your thread!

Actally mods should move this to "Jungle Noise" since it is all about a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 03:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actally mods should move this to "Jungle Noise" since it is all about a Bengal.

Except JN is for Bengals fans only. Doubt Bmore Birds is much of one. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 09:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Except JN is for Bengals fans only. Doubt Bmore Birds is much of one. 

Yet we have a Packers fan regularly post there...

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 10:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yet we have a Packers fan regularly post there...

PB was around back on the mothership, so we allow it lol
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 11:32 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: PB was around back on the mothership, so we allow it lol

He’s a nice guy, I’ve just personally never understood why he wants to post on a Bengals MB, but I get the exception.

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 04:40 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: I realize I'm new here and my opinions probably don't hold much weight. In July 2015, I had a life changing injury and have been stuck at home ever since, aside from Dr's visits and such. Since then I have studied a lot of tape and learned more about the game. I love it. There's so much to see when you watch all 22 players in unison and rewatch a play over and over again.

So I'm willing to offer up my opinions on Bynes if anyone is interested. I appreciate life much more now and consider Bengals fans part of my football family, especially all the nice people on this board. We're rivals on the field but in life we're just people who love football. I started doing videos on youtube as my speech has improved. They're Ravens related so I don't think anyone would be interested. But if you'd like me to put together some clips on Bynes, I could do that too. Or if you just have questions, I'm here. I have the time that most busy people don't so I'd be happy to share any info.

Welcome to the boards Bmore. I am sorry for what happened to you and appreciate your post.

I have seen that quite a few Ravens fans have not liked losing Bynes and he has experience and seems to be a good vet LB.

I think he could really help our young Linebacker core that has sucked immensely for years since 2015.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 07:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Welcome to the boards Bmore. I am sorry for what happened to you and appreciate your post.

I have seen that quite a few Ravens fans have not liked losing Bynes and he has experience and seems to be a good vet LB.

I think he could really help our young Linebacker core that has sucked immensely for years since 2015.

Thanks Nate. I enjoy reading your posts in JN. It's all good, I just mentioned my injury so people would understand that my post comes from the right place. It's been a blessing spending time with family and having a more peaceful, loving perspective. Even if my job and outside interests are no more. I'm not a fan of the Ravens' board. It's just too big and all over the place for me even though I love my Ravens and O's. I like reading the opposing fans' boards especially during game weeks and out of boredom hahaha. It helps me 'know the enemy' so to speak. The people who don't understand that can work that out for themselves.

I would have liked to kept Bynes because of his leadership and mentality. It was a spot the Ravens needed to upgrade but Bynes is a nice fail safe option. He came off the street mid season and was ready to go. He'll help your young group learn to be pros and he knows the division well. It's a good fit. I don't blame him for taking a shot in Cincy. Also for the Ravens if you're not a starter you have to play special teams. I don't think Bynes can do that as well anymore even though that's how he made the team initially as a UDFA. He won't make too many game changing plays but he'll do his job. 
Reply/Quote
Tell us how Peko played for the Ravens last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 11:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Tell us how Peko played for the Ravens last year.

I honestly don't have anything too valuable to offer aside from he is still super strong and I was surprised he looked in such good shape after not playing half the season. Centers and Guards were struggling to move him. When Peko's determined to split a double team there will be movement. Both blockers will have to stick with him and not be able to combo block. 

Peko only played around 20 snaps per game for the Ravens. He shared time with Jelly Ellis behind Brandon Williams and Michael Pierce who all have the same skill set. A lot of times when he was played, the game was out of reach and offenses were throwing the ball. So I don't have much meaningful data to evaluate. The most positive notes I have on him are from the Jets game. It was a Thursday night and he was fresh and very active. Looked like classic Peko in that game, disruptive as hell.

Also, not performance related, but he seemed like a cool, down to earth guy when he spoke with the media. I can see why Bengals fans would like him. He fit right in right away and was appreciative even though he admitted it felt weird putting on a Ravens jersey. Always had a smile.
Reply/Quote