Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Bynes is your newest Bengals
(03-25-2020, 04:01 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: He gives us a solid #3 LB and a good veteran to have in what looks to be a young group. I'm still thinking the Bengals will draft 1 in rd 2/3  and possibly another in rd 6/7 . I'm still thinking their plan is to trade down a few spots in the 2nd to acquire a 3/4 rd pick to address the LB position.

LB's

1) Germaine Pratt

2) Draft

3) Josh Bynes

4) Draft

5) Jordan Evans

I do not think that we are going to be carrying 5 or 6 LBers on the roster...It is already known that we are now running a 3-4 hybrid...We got our NT in Reader...Geno, Glasgow, Topou and the likes will now be considered DEs...Hubbard, Dunlap, Lawson and so on will become DE/OLBers....As it stands now Pratt and Bynes would be your starting ILBers....Shawn Williams would be more of a S/LBer...I see a lot of different looks coming this season.... 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 10:01 AM)Au165 Wrote: A lot of weird takes in here. He would have been the best LB on the roster last year and is currently the best one on the roster now. We weren't going to fix every hole in one free agency period, but we could have done a lot worse at LB this late in free agency than Bynes. He isn't an elite cover guy but people are acting like he is Preston Brown in coverage. QB's had a 47 passer rating when targeting him last year....that is good. The other thing is he can call the defenses as Pratt and a rookie won't be given that task so you have a veteran leader in a room that is no doubt going to be one of the youngest on the team.

Some peeps won't be happy unless they basically get a Ray Lewis that covers like Ed Reed, blitzes like Lawrence Taylor, and is Andy Dalton off the field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This player is a significant improvement over Vigil measured against Bengals needs.

Possibly the major reason for last year's performance was team's inability to stop the run whixh was directly related to poor tackling.

All D free agents signed are way better at tackling and stopping the run than players they at replacing.

Bengals management recognized a serious weakness and had a plan to address.

Very refreshing and should give us all optimism going forward.

Please, now no reaches or speculation or drafting injured players with first four draft picks. ( i.e. no Samples or Rosses)
Reply/Quote
Josh Bynes is a career back up who is not as good as Vigil.

Hope he was just signed for depth.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Josh Bynes is a career back up who is not as good as Vigil.

Bynes has played for teams that are actually good (including a SB winner). Your boy Vigil has to settle for a last place team that won 5 games last year.

Bynes is absolutely an upgrade over that rat tailed bum.

Reply/Quote
My hope with this singing is that since Bynes is a veteran who has played with a winning organization, he'll be able to support our newly selected LBs from the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Josh Bynes is a career back up who is not as good as Vigil.

Nick Vigil is a career back up that we started out of necessity.

So it's all good.
Reply/Quote

Bynes played at a high level for the Ravens in the 2nd half of 
The season. He did more than hold his own down the stretch.
Meangiful games I might add. 
There wasnt one Bengals LB last year that could be even 
A backup LB for the Ravens last year 
Just because you don't start for a team doesn't mean 
You aren't starter material 
It's all relative.
If you are a starter for a 2 and 14 team well that can taken one of a couple ways.
Yeah there teams,lined up to sign a LB that whiffed more than Nick Esasky.
I didn't exactly see teams like the Ravens or Steelers pursue Vigil. 
Heck I didn't see too many LB starved teams pursue Vigil.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 10:15 AM)Whatever Wrote: Some peeps won't be happy unless they basically get a Ray Lewis that covers like Ed Reed, blitzes like Lawrence Taylor, and is Andy Dalton off the field.

Exactly.  He's the best we have right now, so all the he's a back up and depth talk can stop.  Also, I wish people would quit  acting like a draft pick is automatic write in to start.  Only 53% of first rounders even make it with what is deemed contributing careers, so it can't be even remotely close for 2nd rounders.  I'd guess 1/2 that at best.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
Happy they got Bynes. They needed someone. It will help depth. He's largely been a rotational player during his career, but maybe he finally emerges into a quality starter with more snaps.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 11:56 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I really like what this staff has done so far. Getting smart players that are students of the game. High character guys that know how to play positionally. Great tacklers. Reliable. A lot of really smart, well thought out signings so far. Loving this off-season.

Can't wait to see how the draft shakes out too. Everyone's been harping on the last draft, but a lot of those players haven't had a chance to perform yet. Sample had 3 tight ends in front of him and wasn't ready yet to be honest. Most tight ends aren't amazing their first year. Look at the 49ers tight end Kittle for instance. He was terrible for his first couple years. Sample could still develop. Jonah Williams was injured, but you can tell he's highly intelligent--and has great potential as a left tackle. We actually came out of the draft with a decent looking linebacker for the first time in how long? It only took this staff one year to find a linebacker. MJ the guard has good potential. Overall they drafted a lot of role players. No splashy positional players like WR or RB. Which was smart, because that's what we were missing. Last draft could end up working out quite well as players develop. Now they are gifted with Burrow, and great draft position after a terrible year.

I like what I'm seeing so far from a decision-making standpoint. Letting Eifert go is probably the right decision as he's 30 years old and not the same player athletically. Moving towards versatile, young, healthy tight ends that can block and catch is smart. Letting Dennard go and signing two CBs that can tackle and cover and stay healthy is smart. Bring in a couple more linebackers in the draft, maybe another veteran FA for depth. Oh and another thing that has been missing for years is a legit NT that can be a force in the run game and free up pass rushers. I mean they couldn't have gone into FA more well-prepared. Kudos.
Finally someone gets how a team is assembled! 
Reply/Quote

Vigil sucks so glad he’s gone. All your boys seem to be on way out except for Hart.
Reply/Quote
Vigil did not suck and I hope he goes to the Pro Bowl on the Chargers. That said, his weak spot was tackling and just like with the other signees Bynes is considered good to excellent at tackling.

It is refreshing to see not only us being proactive in free agency but we obviously have a plan. And that plan is emphasizing tackling ability and run defense even where (like we did in one of our CB signings) the tight cover skills are a bit less than what is being replaced. I approve of the concept as tackling especially last season was horrendous.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 12:06 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I didn't exactly see teams like the Ravens or Steelers pursue Bynes. 
Heck I didn't see too many LB starved teams pursue Bynes.

FIFY
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 01:20 PM)Joelist Wrote: Vigil did not suck and I hope he goes to the Pro Bowl on the Chargers. That said, his weak spot was tackling and just like with the other signees Bynes is considered good to excellent at tackling.

It is refreshing to see not only us being proactive in free agency but we obviously have a plan. And that plan is emphasizing tackling ability and run defense even where (like we did in one of our CB signings) the tight cover skills are a bit less than what is being replaced. I approve of the concept as tackling especially last season was horrendous.

Being a linebacker I’m guessing sucking at tackling can’t be good.
Reply/Quote

You oughta do some research on Bynes before saying something stupid like this.

Bynes is better than Vigil in every category and is a significantly better tackler.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: FIFY

I meant Vigil 
Reply/Quote
Ravens fans are NOT happy with this...

https://youtu.be/QJ66qdcjkrw

https://youtu.be/UD40aK_nEdI
Reply/Quote
Awesome vids from the Ravens fans, at least they are somewhat classy unlike Stool pit and Stains fans...

When you see this from fans that know the player it should make every Bengal fan just love this pick up.

Damn rights, JOSH BYNES!!! Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 01:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You oughta do some research on Bynes before saying something stupid like this.

Bynes is better than Vigil in every category and is a significantly better tackler.

I don't understand the love for Bynes.  He has been bouncing around the NFL for 9 years and could never keep a job.  He has only had two multi-year deals in his entire career and got cut in the second year of both of them.   Last year at this time he got cut from a contract with the Cards that was paying him less than $2 million a year.
Reply/Quote