Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Josh Doctson released
Jets release Josh Doctson

I wouldn't mind him as a fourth receiver possibly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hell naw, dude was a first round pick that's been through 3 teams without sticking? Time for him to retire..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 10:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hell naw, dude was a first round pick that's been through 3 teams without sticking?  Time for him to retire..

Most guys that only catch 30ish balls for 500 yards float around the NFL. Not bringing him in to start, just adding a little depth to the WR corps. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 10:54 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Most guys that only catch 30ish balls for 500 yards float around the NFL. Not bringing him in to start, just adding a little depth to the WR corps. 

Yeah, I get that.  However, he has not done anything significant in two other opportunities.  He smells more like a John Ross type of bust, more than a likely reclamation project.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I actually forgot this dude existed.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I get that.  However, he has not done anything significant in two other opportunities.  He smells more like a John Ross type of bust, more than a likely reclamation project.

I'd take John Ross as our #4 receiver honestly
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:25 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I'd take John Ross as our #4 receiver honestly

For league minimum, absolutely!

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For league minimum, absolutely!

Oh yes I'm not saying spend big money on a veteran, but someone that has proven they can perform in the NFL. Like old Sanu
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:25 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I'd take John Ross as our #4 receiver honestly

A masochistic person is someone who finds gratification through pain and degradation or pleasure in self-denial. Masochism is popularly associated with BDSM; a sexual masochist is someone who likes pain as part of sexual activity, which can be a healthy and empowering kink. But there are also less healthy types of masochism that manifest in people's personal and professional lives. The psychological masochist is someone who looks for ways to torment themselves in their day-to-day. For how to know if someone is a masochist, here are common masochistic behaviors, traits, and tendencies.

This you?  ^^^^
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:38 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: A masochistic person is someone who finds gratification through pain and degradation or pleasure in self-denial. Masochism is popularly associated with BDSM; a sexual masochist is someone who likes pain as part of sexual activity, which can be a healthy and empowering kink. But there are also less healthy types of masochism that manifest in people's personal and professional lives. The psychological masochist is someone who looks for ways to torment themselves in their day-to-day. For how to know if someone is a masochist, here are common masochistic behaviors, traits, and tendencies.

This you?  ^^^^

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Like the idea if price is right.. if you look at 2 most productive years at Washington he averaged around 40 receptions 4 tds and 500 yards those two seasons. Those two seasons are much better than any of our backups for 2 years. Also he sat out last year so should be injury free... and nothing from what i could find in articles mentioned any character issues etc.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 09:39 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Like the idea if price is right.. if you look at 2 most productive years at Washington he averaged around 40 receptions 4 tds and 500 yards those two seasons.  Those two seasons are much better than any of our backups for 2 years.  Also he sat out last year so should be injury free... and nothing from what i could find in articles mentioned any character issues etc.

To each their own but I never like looking at it that way (simply taking stats from one situation and inputing them into another).

The fact of the matter is the numbers in Washington in those years came when he was a starter.  He was 2nd on the team in targets.  It would be one thing if he was putting up those numbers as the 4th option on another similarly stacked WR team, and carved out a role but that's not really the case.

Just to put into perspective of just how bad he was there, look at these catch %'s:

2016 - 33.3%
2017 - 44.9%
2018 - 56.4%

The 2017 number really stands out (In didn't play much in 2016).  That 44.9% on a healthy 78 targets.  That's actually lower than the disaster that was AJ Green in 2020, who stood at 45.2%.

Now look at Docston's yards per target as a result:

2017 - 6.4
2018 - 6.8

For more perspective, Drew Sample, the checkdown king, the bum of all bums, had a 6.6 YPT in 2020.

Lastly, he didn't just sit out last year.  He essentially sat out 2019.  He signed with the Vikings who brought him off IR in late October, leaving him half a season to contribute and put up some numbers.  He was active (dressed) for one single game and he only played 7 snaps.  He didn't record a single statistic.  He was released only 11 days later.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with giving him a shot to make the team, but the guy has been downright terrible.  There's a reason he hasn't had a single catch in over 2 years.  And I doubt he sit out due to Covid if he isn't making the league minimum (800k) and is probably a long shot to stick with the Jets throughout the entire season.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 10:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hell naw, dude was a first round pick that's been through 3 teams without sticking?  Time for him to retire..

I remember loving Doctson coming into the draft.
He had two really good years in college football and had the size and necessary speed to play outside WR.
He had a really good vert and broad, showing he had good explosion.
He had sufficient quickness too, though not elite.
I don't know if I'd really discount him for being with the Jets, as he opted out before ever playing a down.
As a WR4, he's been more productive than the likes of Auden Tate and Mike Thomas, so I'd definitely consider bringing him in to compete for WR4/5.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:38 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: A masochistic person is someone who finds gratification through pain and degradation or pleasure in self-denial. Masochism is popularly associated with BDSM; a sexual masochist is someone who likes pain as part of sexual activity, which can be a healthy and empowering kink. But there are also less healthy types of masochism that manifest in people's personal and professional lives. The psychological masochist is someone who looks for ways to torment themselves in their day-to-day. For how to know if someone is a masochist, here are common masochistic behaviors, traits, and tendencies.

This you?  ^^^^

Go get the Gimp
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 10:58 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: To each their own but I never like looking at it that way (simply taking stats from one situation and inputing them into another).

The fact of the matter is the numbers in Washington in those years came when he was a starter.  He was 2nd on the team in targets.  It would be one thing if he was putting up those numbers as the 4th option on another similarly stacked WR team, and carved out a role but that's not really the case.

Just to put into perspective of just how bad he was there, look at these catch %'s:

2016 - 33.3%
2017 - 44.9%
2018 - 56.4%

The 2017 number really stands out (In didn't play much in 2016).  That 44.9% on a healthy 78 targets.  That's actually lower than the disaster that was AJ Green in 2020, who stood at 45.2%.

2017 - 6.4
2018 - 6.8

For more perspective, Drew Sample, the checkdown king, the bum of all bums, had a 6.6 YPT in 2020.

Lastly, he didn't just sit out last year.  He essentially sat out 2019.  He signed with the Vikings who brought him off IR in late October, leaving him half a season to contribute and put up some numbers.  He was active (dressed) for one single game and he only played 7 snaps.  He didn't record a single statistic.  He was released only 11 days later.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with giving him a shot to make the team, but the guy has been downright terrible.  There's a reason he hasn't had a single catch in over 2 years.  And I doubt he sit out due to Covid if he isn't making the league minimum (800k) and is probably a long shot to stick with the Jets throughout the entire season.

And you sat on this information to start instead of just saying all that to begin with? Lol
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 12:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I remember loving Doctson coming into the draft.
He had two really good years in college football and had the size and necessary speed to play outside WR.
He had a really good vert and broad, showing he had good explosion.
He had sufficient quickness too, though not elite.
I don't know if I'd really discount him for being with the Jets, as he opted out before ever playing a down.
As a WR4, he's been more productive than the likes of Auden Tate and Mike Thomas, so I'd definitely consider bringing him in to compete for WR4/5.

Same, for Doctson.

He has been with terrible QB's besides Alex Smith.
Reply/Quote
So. We have plenty of more needs than a 4th wide receiver for goodness sake y’all ass backwards in here.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 03:31 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: So. We have plenty of more needs than a 4th wide receiver for goodness sake y’all ass backwards in here.

Enlighten us then. What are all these needs we have?

I’ll grant #4 wideout is not our most pressing need. But we run a lot of 11 personal. Fairly safe to say it’s our base offense. So we are a positive Covid test or concussion protocol away from not being able to run our top 3 out there. I wouldn’t mind upgrading that spot and really shouldn’t be all that hard to do.

But I’ll just sit back and listen to you whiny forward thinkers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote

I wouldn't. I think most of the time in the league, Ross has had negative value. A guy who isn't where he needs to be, gives up on routes, and doesn't catch the ball is much much worse than a less talented guy who is where he needs to be, giving his (admittedly less) all, and catching the ball.

2017-2020
Ross: 51-123 (41.5% catch rate, 16 drops), 733 yards (14.4 AVG), 10 TD
Erickson: 87-140 (62.1% catch rate, 3 drops), 1,015 yards (11.7 AVG), 1 TD

Ross has the TDs which was nice but that was mostly back in 2018. Also 41.5% makes even Tim Tebow look accurate, his hands are terrible, and that's not even counting all the routes he ran incorrectly or just gave up on that resulted in turnovers. Also if you're in the training room, you're not contributing.

You can find a 4th WR anywhere.

- - - - - - -

As for the original point, hard pass on Doctson. Guy was released by 2 teams in 2019 without a single catch and sat out 2020. It's likely that his career is done.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 10:58 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: To each their own but I never like looking at it that way (simply taking stats from one situation and inputing them into another).

2016 - 33.3%
2017 - 44.9%
2018 - 56.4%

2017 - 6.4
2018 - 6.8

You make good points though there are more variables that go into a low percentage of catch vs target than just the WR.. QB, Line etc.. Now when you look at our 4th WR.. there is no one that has done anything either that warrants use to roll with them so bringing in a ex 1st rounder to give them a shot does not really hurt use, whatever team takes him will probably be his last chance so sometimes that works out for that team...

Really very little risk on a former 1st round pick
Reply/Quote