Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chrisman
For an UDFA he's in a sweet position if he can stick around on the roster somehow or on the PS. He gets to learn from the best ST coach in Simmons, but also one of the best punters in the league in Huber and gets to punt to one of the best return guys in Wilson. I doubt he can bump Huber off the starting gig, but injuries happen or other things nobody can foresee..  Anyone think he has a shot?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 02:05 AM)grampahol Wrote: For an UDFA he's in a sweet position if he can stick around on the roster somehow or on the PS. He gets to learn from the best ST coach in Simmons, but also one of the best punters in the league in Huber and gets to punt to one of the best return guys in Wilson. I doubt he can bump Huber off the starting gig, but injuries happen or other things nobody can foresee..  Anyone think he has a shot?

If they stick with the expanded P.S. like they had last season I think he has a real chance to stick around on the squad.

Outside of that, can't see him making the roster.

He is another great example of why the NFL needs to update it's roster sizes or come up with a real developmental league. Lot of guys have the talent but need time to develop with better coaching. Keeping rosters locked at 53 anymore just seems out-dated and silly. Carry 60, no reason to have guys active/inactive... literally no point in the era of "player safety" to force an injured guy to play or a guy to play out of position because his back-up was a healthy scratch. After the 60, have a 15 man practice squad that can't be poached at will. Would open up more trades and allow more development of players. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 02:12 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If they stick with the expanded P.S. like they had last season I think he has a real chance to stick around on the squad.

He is another great example of why the NFL needs to update it's roster sizes or come up with a real developmental league. Lot of guys have the talent but need time to develop with better coaching. Keeping rosters locked at 53 anymore just seems out-dated and silly. Carry 60, no reason to have guys active/inactive... literally no point in the era of "player safety" to force an injured guy to play or a guy to play out of position because his back-up was a healthy scratch. After the 60, have a 15 man practice squad that can't be poached at will. Would open up more trades and allow more development of players. 

We can have a roster of 55 for practice during the week and 48 for game days as of the beginning of last season and a PS of 12 which will go up to 14 from 2022 or if Covid-19 restrictions are still in place we can have a PS of 16 just now.

This is from the CBA rule changes for the 20/21 season

Expanded rosters

New CBA rule: Starting this season, game-day active rosters, which used to be limited to 46 players per team, can include up to 48 players, provided that at least eight of those 48 are offensive linemen. (If not, the game-day roster size is limited to 47 players.)

New CBA rule: Additionally, according to the new CBA, a team can carry up to 55 players on its roster during the week -- up from 53 in past years -- by elevating one or two players from its practice squad before 4 p.m. ET on the day before that team's game. This will allow teams a larger pool from which to select their 47 or 48 game-day active players. Any player elevated from the practice squad for this purpose will immediately revert to his team's practice squad on the day after the game.
No player may be activated under this rule for more than two games per season, either regular-season or postseason games. If a player has already been elevated twice under this rule, and the team wants to add him to the roster, it must terminate his practice-squad contract and sign him to an NFL contract, as has been the case with practice-squad players in years past.

Expanded practice squads

Combination of new CBA rules and COVID-19 rules: The new CBA expanded the size of practice squads from 10 players per team to 12 for the 2020 and 2021 seasons, and to 14 players per team beginning in 2022. However, for 2020 -- and for 2021 if any COVID-19 protocols remain in place for that season) -- practice squads can include up to 16 players per team. Of those 16, as many as six can be players with more than two accrued seasons in the NFL. The new CBA allowed for two practice-squad players per team with an unlimited number of accrued seasons, but the COVID-19 amendments expanded that number to six.

I think keeping more than the 55 is probably down to money and having to sign players to contracts
Reply/Quote
I assume he'll make the PS. Huber is on a 1 year deal and could potentially retire any year now. May as well keep a punter on standby.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 02:12 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If they stick with the expanded P.S. like they had last season I think he has a real chance to stick around on the squad.

I don't know for sure but I'm guessing the rules on roster size are all about owners not wanting to spend more money.

Totally agree with your sentiment.
Reply/Quote

There's an argument to be had about not blocking players' opportunity, particularly in a drafted league where players don't get to choose where to sign. A 75 man squad is going to have lots of blocked players who'd get opportunities to play elsewhere.

But that said I don't understand why there isn't a developmental league. A rule 5 style draft where teams have to give up a draft pick to poach unprotected players off another team's development squad provides a pathway for blocked players and an incentive for teams to develop talent. They could run this league after the draft. It would provide talking points, create new stars for the league, give the league some content when there are no games on. Hard Knocks Rookie Developmental League programming.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 10:05 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I assume he'll make the PS. Huber is on a 1 year deal and could potentially retire any year now. May as well keep a punter on standby.

I see no point keeping a punter on standby.

How many other teams will have a punter on their PS?

That'll just mean when their punter gets injured they'll just snap him up as he'll be the most ready punter.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 01:29 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I see no point keeping a punter on standby.

How many other teams will have a punter on their PS?

That'll just mean when their punter gets injured they'll just snap him up as he'll be the most ready punter.

If not on PS they will have his number...

Lets him get some reps so they can see if he might be someone to call if our Punter gets hurt.  

Or he could possibly win the job.

Or at the Very least... Makes it so Huber doesnt have to make every punt in practice. (most likely scenario)
Reply/Quote
Huber did miss some time with a broken jaw.. Thanks squeelers! 
I guess the thinking is he's close to retirement so you never know.  Huber has been quite an asset for the Bengals over the years. Not many teams have been able to say they've had such a great punter play for so long with the same team..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 01:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: Huber did miss some time with a broken jaw.. Thanks squeelers! 
I guess the thinking is he's close to retirement so you never know.  Huber has been quite an asset for the Bengals over the years. Not many teams have been able to say they've had such a great punter play for so long with the same team..  

Hobson made it sound like Huber plans to play out his current contract, but I would like to see what the rookie Punter has in him.  Huber had one of his better years last year.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 08:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Hobson made it sound like Huber plans to play out his current contract, but I would like to see what the rookie Punter has in him.  Huber had one of his better years last year.  

I would say they are pretty similar. Both are pretty damn good at downing it inside the 20 and when you need a big kick, they can do that too.
Reply/Quote
I imagine Chrisman will stick on the PS for the season, unless something happens to Huber, and then become the starter next season. Huber is only on a 1 year deal and could retire at any point. It's also not just Huber on a 1 year deal. This is most likely the last season for Harris and I imagine Simmons will move to a new team next season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 01:31 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I imagine Chrisman will stick on the PS for the season, unless something happens to Huber, and then become the starter next season. Huber is only on a 1 year deal and could retire at any point. It's also not just Huber on a 1 year deal. This is most likely the last season for Harris and I imagine Simmons will move to a new team next season.

Why do you think Simmons will move to a new team?
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 02:15 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Why do you think Simmons will move to a new team?

Are his kids just finishing high school?
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 02:15 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Why do you think Simmons will move to a new team?

Well probly have a whole staff change over again
Reply/Quote