Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Johnson still in the NFL?
The Broncos just signed Josh Johnson. Am I the only one that is just baffled as to how this guy has stuck around for so long? How many teams has he played for? Can any of you think of anyone else that has done so little in the NFL yet has stayed for a decade plus?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 10:30 AM)Mer Wrote: The Broncos just signed Josh Johnson. Am I the only one that is just baffled as to how this guy has stuck around for so long? How many teams has he played for? Can any of you think of anyone else that has done so little in the NFL yet has stayed for a decade plus?

Blake bortles
Chad henne
Chase daniel
Shaun hill
Josh mcown
Matt Moore
Blaine gabbert

This could be an infinite list.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 10:35 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Blake bortles
Chad henne
Chase daniel
Shaun hill
Josh mcown
Matt Moore
Blaine gabbert

This could be an infinite list

All those mentioned were drafted to be starters though, weren't they? I'm not a stat guru like Fred, but I believe Josh was only a starter due to injury wasn't he? And not a good one at that, yet he just keeps on surviving. 

I don't want to turn this into a bashing of Josh. I was just curious if I'm the only one that finds it interesting.
Reply/Quote
It's pretty fascinating. He has been around for a long, long time. Shaun Hill is a great example - he was an UDFA in 2002 and played until 2016.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 10:40 AM)Mer Wrote: All those mentioned were drafted to be starters though, weren't they? I'm not a stat guru like Fred, but I believe Josh was only a starter due to injury wasn't he? And not a good one at that, yet he just keeps on surviving. 

I don't want to turn this into a bashing of Josh. I was just curious if I'm the only one that finds it interesting.

Every qb drafted has the potential to become a starter, most don’t become that. Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian hoyer are also qbs that could fit this conversation.
Reply/Quote
I was unaware Shaun Hill was undrafted. He would most likely fall into the same category if he's still around.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 11:32 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Every qb drafted has the potential to become a starter, most don’t become that.  Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian hoyer are also qbs that could fit this conversation.
I don't think I'd include Fitzpatrick in that category. Unlike Johnson, Ryan has had a lot of success in the NFL and was signed to be the starter in Buffalo at one time. Hoyer possibly, but wasn't he signed to be Cleveland's starter at one time? I'm just amazed by how little success Johnson has had yet teams keep giving him contracts. 
Reply/Quote
where there's a will theres a way
Reply/Quote
Yet Dalton can't get a gig.... I thought Dalton at least could ride the backup role to line his pockets until 40 with his experience, high character, and he's always been a good leader).

Even for those who think he sucks, he isn't worse then these QB's and has far more starting experience (and success).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 01:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: Yet Dalton can't get a gig.... I thought Dalton at least could ride the backup role to line his pockets until 40 with his experience, high character, and he's always been a good leader).

Even for those who think he sucks, he isn't worse then these QB's and has far more starting experience (and success).

I'd like to see Dalton come back as our backup. If Burrow went down for any reason I wouldn't feel like the games he misses were automatic loses if we had Dalton.
Reply/Quote
Didn't he come in for the Jets for a series last year?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Settle in boys, in about 8 years we can make a thread like this about our own backup QB B. Allen. 10+ seasons backing up Burrow. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Johnson is a rare exception.

In 2018 he played for the San Diego Fleet in the Alliance of American Football, and in 2019 he played for Los Angeles Wildcats of the XFL.

Once guys head down that road it is very rare for them to make it back to the NFL
Reply/Quote