Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Norman just became a UFA
(04-20-2016, 10:03 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I think he should have signed it and cashed in on an extension with them or hit the market next year. I'd also be very reluctant to pay up after just one stud season. That said, $16 mil isn't that crazy. Revis signed for that with the bucs years ago and the cap has gone/will continue to go crazy. Pretty soon you'll have several CB's making that

See I feel the opposite, I think he should try and get the money now, what happens if it was a somewhat fluke year and he has an average year this year? 

Right now it worked out perfectly for him, if he can go out and get 16 mil from a team like the Jaguars he wins, if not then he has his choice of which team to play for including the Panthers who would probably still give him the deal they offered earlier.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Steelers are interested, per PFT. Of course.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 12:18 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Steelers are interested, per PFT. Of course.

Of Course they are, I can see the Browns making a move for him too. Imagine going against him and Hayden with our depleted WR's. Everyone says not to take him but none of us want to face him. If we have the money to get a guy to cover Brown and the other elite WR's we play this season then get him.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 12:18 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Steelers are interested, per PFT. Of course.

spotrac.com currently shows the steelers with about $3.5 mil in cap space. They also will have to account for their draft picks which will eat up a chunk of that. If they are going to sign him they will have to make some BIG moves. If they want to further destroy their ability to sign players in the future to make a run at someone who could very easily bust then I say go for it. Couldn't really blame them because they have maybe 3 more good years at best before they need to go into complete rebuild mode. 

I will sleep easy, if they somehow sign him it will be a huge mistake, but 99.9% chance they don't (its not in their DNA to make these kind of moves). Probably only interested in him if he will play for $2 mil this year...
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 09:30 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I know the Steelers and Ravens are both needy at CB.

Somehow I see one of them falling into Norman at a good rate and then not having to use a high pick on a CB.

You just HAD to say this?  Shocked
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 01:04 AM)EatonFan Wrote: You just HAD to say this?  Shocked

Then they'll draft a Buckeye or 2. 
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 09:30 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Somehow I see one of them falling into Norman at a good rate 

No chance in hell this happens.  He refused to return to a Super Bowl team for $14 million.  No way in hell he plays for less than that anywhere else.
Reply/Quote

(04-21-2016, 12:42 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: spotrac.com currently shows the steelers with about $3.5 mil in cap space. They also will have to account for their draft picks which will eat up a chunk of that. If they are going to sign him they will have to make some BIG moves. If they want to further destroy their ability to sign players in the future to make a run at someone who could very easily bust then I say go for it. Couldn't really blame them because they have maybe 3 more good years at best before they need to go into complete rebuild mode. 

I will sleep easy, if they somehow sign him it will be a huge mistake, but 99.9% chance they don't (its not in their DNA to make these kind of moves). Probably only interested in him if he will play for $2 mil this year...

Pretty much this. Even if they got a guy or two to restructure, they'd still be off $8-10 million or so. They could pull off some kind of down the road guaranteed money, but that's going to catch up to you and the Steelers aren't typically a team that leverages several season just for one year of free agent success.

Brown and Bryant contracts are up in 2018, Bell's in 2017 along with DeCastro and Spaeth, and a handful of others. They could sign him along with draft picks this year, but you wouldn't be re-signing most of those guys..
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 09:38 PM)Okeana Wrote: the value for production would be terrible for us. How many teams have brought in a top dollar CB only to waste money. Absolutely zero chance this happens. If it does I will chop off my own pinky toe.

Last time a top corner hit the open market and signed with a good team he helped lead the team to a Super Bowl (Darrel Revis and he patriots)

I also don't know if Talib was signed through FA or was acquired via a trade but that also paid dividends.

It typically doesn't work out when a crap team invests in a high profile FA, but when a good team brings in a good player it is typically a recipe for success.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 10:53 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: See I feel the opposite, I think he should try and get the money now, what happens if it was a somewhat fluke year and he has an average year this year? 

Right now it worked out perfectly for him, if he can go out and get 16 mil from a team like the Jaguars he wins, if not then he has his choice of which team to play for including the Panthers who would probably still give him the deal they offered earlier.

He is not gonna get revis money... he made hay in the zone last year.... Revis does it vs man coverage.
Reply/Quote
Guy didn't sign his franchise tender and then ran his mouth on NFLN and other various places. I don't blame the Panthers for bypassing this headache.
Reply/Quote
would rather pay eifert/ zeitler and kirkpatrick
Reply/Quote
1 year wonder system CB wants QB money. Playing hardball in negotiations.

Team says peace out.

Not a dumb move at all.

Too many great players on that team to not set a financial precedent like that.
Reply/Quote
$16 million is not s ridiculous amount for a CB in the current market, but I just saw the Panther GM on NFLNetwork and most of his comments were about "team chemistry" and needing 53 guys that are "all in". Apparently he felt Norman was being too selfish in the negotiations. Also said that the extra $14 million gives them a lot more flexibility. he agreed that there were not any elite free free agents out there, but they could use the money to extend other players already on the roster.
Reply/Quote

ProSteelersTalk.com
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 01:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ProSteelersTalk.com

steelers dont even have enough cap for incoming rookies at the moment
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 01:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: steelers dont even have enough cap for incoming rookies at the moment

Yeah it probably sounds nice to them, considering CB is a huge weak spot, but they'd have to do way too much work to even have a chance.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 12:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: $16 million is not s ridiculous amount for a CB in the current market, but I just saw the Panther GM on NFLNetwork and most of his comments were about "team chemistry" and needing 53 guys that are "all in".  Apparently he felt Norman was being too selfish in the negotiations.  Also said that the extra $14 million gives them a lot more flexibility.  he agreed that there were not any elite free free agents out there, but they could use the money to extend other players already on the roster.

Yes.. yes it is. He would be the highest paid CB in the league by about $2m/yr. That's $2m/yr higher than Revis, Sherman, and Peterson. As a one year producer in a zone coverage surrounded by defensive talent, and is turning 29 this year.

Janoris Jenkins is a year younger, has a better history of production, and he got $12.5m/yr this offseason.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 03:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes.. yes it is. He would be the highest paid CB in the league by about $2m/yr. That's $2m/yr higher than Revis, Sherman, and Peterson. As a one year producer in a zone coverage surrounded by defensive talent, and is turning 29 this year.

Janoris Jenkins is a year younger, has a better history of production, and he got $12.5m/yr this offseason.

Revis base salary is $17 million this year

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/darrelle-revis/

Not saying Norman deserves this amount.  Just saying CBs are making huge money
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 04:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Revis base salary is $17 million this year

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/darrelle-revis/

Not saying Norman deserves this amount.  Just saying CBs are making huge money

And it'll only go higher
Reply/Quote