Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Norman just became a UFA
(04-22-2016, 03:05 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: We didn't match the guaranteed money.

i dont know if we had much chance too i believe they had a deal on the table when the lockout happened.

Then he signed with the texans like 2 hours after the lockout ended... (i suspect tampering)
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 04:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yup. Hobson always says they offered "similar" money whenever a good FA gets away. It dates all the way back to Housh leaving for Seattle.

In truth, we usually offer less guaranteed and sometimes that's enough for a player to go elsewhere. Guaranteed money is tough to pass up for some.

I wonder what the guaranteed money was for Housh? We apparently offered him the same deal that Seattle gave him. Seattle gave him $15 million guaranteed.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 04:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yup. Hobson always says they offered "similar" money whenever a good FA gets away. It dates all the way back to Housh leaving for Seattle.

In truth, we usually offer less guaranteed and sometimes that's enough for a player to go elsewhere. Guaranteed money is tough to pass up for some.

Can't blame the guys for taking the guaranteed money in an occupation where one misstep or hit can end your career. I wouldn't bank on the future if I was a player either, gimme that guaranteed $$$$!!
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 04:52 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Can't blame the guys for taking the guaranteed money in an occupation where one misstep or hit can end your career. I wouldn't bank on the future if I was a player either, gimme that guaranteed $$$$!!

Yeah but the Bengals are known for letting guys finish out their contracts so they see every dollar. Leon Hall is a great recent example. Housh would have made more money here than he did leaving. MJ felt it as well.

Guaranteed money isn't an issue for Cincy since they let guys finish the contract. Teams that don't is where it matters.
Reply/Quote
And 5yrs 75m is way too much and I am so happy we don't have to shell that out.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 11:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: And 5yrs 75m is way too much and I am so happy we don't have to shell that out.

Wow and $50 mil guaranteed, I thought he shoulda just signed with Carolina but clearly I was wrong. $50 mil is crazy
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 11:37 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Wow and $50 mil guaranteed, I thought he shoulda just signed with Carolina but clearly I was wrong. $50 mil is crazy

Yeah I am surprised by that contract.   He is a good player but at his age there is no wag I would sink that much into him.    He might see 3 years of that deal if he is lucky.  
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 11:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah but the Bengals are known for letting healthy guys finish out their contracts so they see every dollar.   Leon Hall is a great recent example.     Housh would have made more money here than he did leaving.    MJ felt it as well.    

Guaranteed money isn't an issue for Cincy since they let guys finish the contract.    Teams that don't is where it matters.

FIFY.

Some players are still going to prefer the safety of the guaranteed money. The Bengals are loyal (often to a fault), but they're not honoring contracts on players with shredded knees and bum ankles. Injuries are part of the game and that's why some players are going to prefer more guaranteed money.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Awesome. Can't wait to see OBJ and Norman go at it again
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
i hope it works out for him and the redskins, but this stinks of failure to me. Way to much money guaranteed for a system guy who had 1 probowl year

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 11:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah but the Bengals are known for letting guys finish out their contracts so they see every dollar.   Leon Hall is a great recent example.     Housh would have made more money here than he did leaving.    MJ felt it as well.    

Guaranteed money isn't an issue for Cincy since they let guys finish the contract.    Teams that don't is where it matters.

(04-23-2016, 11:41 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: FIFY.

Some players are still going to prefer the safety of the guaranteed money. The Bengals are loyal (often to a fault), but they're not honoring contracts on players with shredded knees and bum ankles. Injuries are part of the game and that's why some players are going to prefer more guaranteed money.

This, a lot, Shake. Sure you can say "we normally let people play out their contracts".. do you want to be the exception? Because it's not an "always" it's a "normally" or whatnot.

There's been plenty of people who didn't play out their contract with the Bengals. Bryant, Allen, Coles, Harrison, Odom, Johnson got traded, Tank Johnson got cut 1 year into a 4 year deal because he didn't have any more guaranteed money. Shit, this is just off the top of my head and there's more than I thought recently-ish.

Unless it says fully guaranteed, a lot of contracts are mostly guaranteed for generally just injury. Like Norman's $75m, $50m is guaranteed, but only $36.5m fully guaranteed. That means they can cut him right this second for being a turd or not being able to cover a rock and he gets $36.5m.. if he tears both his knees by slipping on two banana peels in training camp, he still gets $50m. That's $40-45m-ish more than he would have likely gotten with the Bengals if he suffered a career ending injury.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Just because the Steelers don't have the cap room does not meant they can't move some peices to get there. I could see them move a guy like Timmons who is toward the end of his deal and is playing out of position anyway for a future draft pick thus saving 10 million and Ben restructuring his deal to save a few million and BOOM they have cap room.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 09:14 PM)I TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This, a lot, Shake. Sure you can say "we normally let people play out their contracts".. do you want to be the exception? Because it's not an "always" it's a "normally" or whatnot.

There's been plenty of people who didn't play out their contract with the Bengals. Bryant, Allen, Coles, Harrison, Odom, Johnson got traded, Tank Johnson got cut 1 year into a 4 year deal because he didn't have any more guaranteed money. Shit, this is just off the top of my head and there's more than I thought recently-ish.

Unless it says fully guaranteed, a lot of contracts are mostly guaranteed for generally just injury. Like Norman's $75m, $50m is guaranteed, but only $36.5m fully guaranteed. That means they can cut him right this second for being a turd or not being able to cover a rock and he gets $36.5m.. if he tears both his knees by slipping on two banana peels in training camp, he still gets $50m. That's $40-45m-ish more than he would have likely gotten with the Bengals if he suffered a career ending injury.

You are also mentioning outside free agents.  Who fail at a high rate league wide.  

We will see what happens.   Marvin Jones left for the same reason Housh left..... To be the #1.   
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 09:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This, a lot, Shake. Sure you can say "we normally let people play out their contracts".. do you want to be the exception? Because it's not an "always" it's a "normally" or whatnot.

In some ways I like the way the Bengals do contracts. The relatively small amount of guaranteed money gives us options when players get injured or fail to produce. The downfall is that we are destined to lose players who value more guaranteed money on these "similar" contracts.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2016, 12:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: In some ways I like the way the Bengals do contracts. The relatively small amount of guaranteed money gives us options when players get injured or fail to produce. The downfall is that we are destined to lose players who value more guaranteed money on these "similar" contracts.

The only time it's bit us was on JJo.   

Which it really shouldn't have considering they would have never cut him.   
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2016, 08:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The only time it's bit us was on JJo.   

Which it really shouldn't have considering they would have never cut him.   

And Housh (which ended up being the reason they signed Bryant, Coles, and Owens).

And potentially Marvin Jones (depending on what he does in 2016).

And Fanene (doesn't matter that he failed elsewhere, he was doing well here and because they lost him they had to draft Still, Thompson, and Hunt trying to replace him, wasting two 2nds and a 3rd round pick).

And Nelson (depending on what he does in 2016).

...just off the top of my head again.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2016, 11:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And Housh (which ended up being the reason they signed Bryant, Coles, and Owens).

And potentially Marvin Jones (depending on what he does in 2016).

And Fanene (doesn't matter that he failed elsewhere, he was doing well here and because they lost him they had to draft Still, Thompson, and Hunt trying to replace him, wasting two 2nds and a 3rd round pick).

And Nelson (depending on what he does in 2016).

...just off the top of my head again.

Housh and Marvin Jones left for the same reason.   To be the #1 WR.  

Fanene was a medical failure in NE.    Sounds like they knew when to get off that ride.   

Personally I think we wasted our time with Vets to replace Housh because our WR coach was a bum at developing.   

I don't know what to think about Nelson yet, hearing Lap's opinion on it sounds like his agent messed Reggie up.    Before I heard Lap speak I was wondering if we low balled but it doesn't sound that way at all.    
Reply/Quote
I'm about ready to chalk up the London Game as a loss.

Redskins' defense is the exact counter to our offense on paper. They have the backers and secondary to stop the big plays with Norman and a D-Line that can go head to head with our O line.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 07:38 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I'm about ready to chalk up the London Game as a loss.

Redskins' defense is the exact counter to our offense on paper. They have the backers and secondary to stop the big plays with Norman and a D-Line that can go head to head with our O line.

You can't be serious.  The Redskins were garbage last year and they have have not gotten any better.

They only made the playoffs because they play in a horrible division.  They went 9-7 and DID NOT BEAT A SINGLE TEAM WITH A WINNING RECORD.

The Redskins had the #28 defense in the league last year and they lost 3 starters (Terrence Knighton, Deshon Goldson, Jason Hatcher).  Josh Norman is not going to fix that mess.  

Their offense was ranked #17 last year and they lost their Pro Bowl RB (Alford Morris).

We will blow out the Redskins.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 07:38 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I'm about ready to chalk up the London Game as a loss.

No worried.
Reply/Quote