Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Josh Rosen
(03-07-2019, 09:40 PM)jason Wrote: And 3 years ago the line was terrible with those guys.

Yes, that line looked good on paper, but they failed more times than not, in short and critical yardage situations.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 01:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying we should get Rosen or get rid of Ross...it's just funny how one top 10 pick is finally going to get his chance to develop in his 3rd year and the other already needs to be "reclaimed" for a 5th round pick after a single year.

Also, the idea of Rosen fighting Driskel for a backup spot is a laugh.  Did you see how terrible the Cardinals looked with Sam Bradford and Mike Glennon starting?  I can see why people don't like Rosen, but the guy played less than one season on a lousy team with a one year HC and he's supposedly a backup QB for life now?  Ehh...I don't buy it and I'm not even sure the Cardinals are going to move on from him.

Then again, the Cardinals haven't had a good QB under the age of 30 since they drafted Neil Lomax.

Glennon had a 112 QBR.  Mind you, a lot of that is garbage time, but dramatically better than Rosen or Bradford.

Ross was tied for 16th in TD catches.  There is at least one thing that he's good at that you can use as a building block.  Rosen was bad at everything.  There's nothing you can really look at that he does really well that you can use to try and build him up in other areas.

Rosen could improve.  So could any player.  Hell, Vontaze could show up to camp in shape for once.  He could also get worse.  Based on what we've seen, he's a bad QB that can't elevate talent around him.  That's not worth a Day 1 or 2 pick.  
Reply/Quote
Rosen is no worse than Goff. And Goff at best, is an average QB.

A better line and scheme, makes him look better than he really is.

Saints and Patriots showed that he is the weakest link on that offense.

I feel that Rosen has a better arm and head than Goff.

But at this point, Dalton is a better QB than Rosen.

Would be open to a fourth rounder trade for Rosen to groom for 2021.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 10:51 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Rosen is no worse than Goff. And Goff at best, is an average QB.

A better line and scheme, makes him look better than he really is.

Saints and Patriots showed that he is the weakest link on that offense.

I feel that Rosen has a better arm and head than Goff.

But at this point, Dalton is a better QB than Rosen.

Would be open to a fourth rounder trade for Rosen to groom for 2021.

Goff looked like a bonafide scrub against the Bears as well.

I know Andy has laid some turds over the years, but I just don't get how so many of us are so eager to replace him with guys who are the same caliber or guys who are unproven or better yet guys who aren't as good. I'm all for upgrading the QB position if there is a definite upgrade available. I just don't see one.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 11:03 AM)jason Wrote: Goff looked like a bonafide scrub against the Bears as well.

I know Andy has laid some turds over the years, but I just don't get how so many of us are so eager to replace him with guys who are the same caliber or guys who are unproven or better yet guys who aren't as good. I'm all for upgrading the QB position if there is a definite upgrade available. I just don't see one.

I agree. Change for the sake of change, often leads to regrets.

With the exception of Foles, there is no available or potentially available QB out there, who would be a real upgrade to Dalton.

Keenum, Bradford, Smith and even Carr. The only QB in the draft that isn't a big gamble, is Lock.
Reply/Quote
Remember, the Bengals now have three QB coaches on the staff. I would think/hope that if Rosen could be groomed into an elite starter like he was projected to, this staff could do it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 12:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Remember, the Bengals now have three QB coaches on the staff. I would think/hope that if Rosen could be groomed into an elite starter like he was projected to, this staff could do it.

Whether or not he can be salvaged, this ain't the time to be giving up precious draft picks or devoting time to coaching him up.  We need a backup who can come in and play without a monumental coaching effort to get him ready.  There are a few of those out there.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 12:14 PM)McC Wrote: Whether or not he can be salvaged, this ain't the time to be giving up precious draft picks or devoting time to coaching him up.  We need a backup who can come in and play without a monumental coaching effort to get him ready.  There are a few of those out there.

I disagree that Rosen needs "monumental" effort to get him ready to be a backup.
Also, what do you mean this isn't the time to devote time to coaching him up?
You sound like the team is in full-on Win-now mode, which there has been no indication of that to this point.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 07:58 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: 3 years ago he had Whitworth, Boling, Zietler not to shabby.

3 years ago we were also starting Ogbuehi and Bodine. We gave up 41 sacks...2nd most in the NFL that year. 

If this is what you call "not too shabby" - the 90's must have felt like a dynasty to you.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 01:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I disagree that Rosen needs "monumental" effort to get him ready to be a backup.
Also, what do you mean this isn't the time to devote time to coaching him up?
You sound like the team is in full-on Win-now mode, which there has been no indication of that to this point.

Come on now.  They're installing a new offense.  Chances are, they might want to be concentrating on that.  Just a wild guess. 

As horrible as he was last year, and he flat out sukked, if AD went down and Rosen had to step in, I'm saying it would take a huge effort to get him ready.  We all know backups get very few reps during the season.  Why are you ignoring common sense?

Plus, the guy is a tool and who needs that?  Add to that, how many precious draft picks would it take to get him, pick(s) that we could use to be in win now mode.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 02:20 PM)McC Wrote: Come on now.  They're installing a new offense.  Chances are, they might want to be concentrating on that.  Just a wild guess. 

As horrible as he was last year, and he flat out sukked, if AD went down and Rosen had to step in, I'm saying it would take a huge effort to get him ready.  We all know backups get very few reps during the season.  Why are you ignoring common sense?

Plus, the guy is a tool and who needs that?  Add to that, how many precious draft picks would it take to get him, pick(s) that we could use to be in win now mode.

This would be the same for any new QB coming in (drafted or FA), so why is it different with Rosen?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 02:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This would be the same for any new QB coming in (drafted or FA), so why is it different with Rosen?

A FA would not cost high draft picks.  A FA probably would have managed to play at a reasonable level of competence already.  

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 10:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: Glennon had a 112 QBR.  Mind you, a lot of that is garbage time, but dramatically better than Rosen or Bradford.

Ross was tied for 16th in TD catches.  There is at least one thing that he's good at that you can use as a building block.  Rosen was bad at everything.  There's nothing you can really look at that he does really well that you can use to try and build him up in other areas.

Rosen could improve.  So could any player.  Hell, Vontaze could show up to camp in shape for once.  He could also get worse.  Based on what we've seen, he's a bad QB that can't elevate talent around him.  That's not worth a Day 1 or 2 pick.  

You should tell the Cardinals that Rosen is a bust...they actually fired their HC and OC and QB coach-turned interim OC last season for some reason.

But like I pointed out, only Bengals players can be ruined by bad coaching.
Reply/Quote