Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN Says Temper FA Expectattions
(03-06-2019, 02:08 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Are there even any FA LBers over 35 available?

Yes. Thomas Davis.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 11:04 AM)ochocincos Wrote: To be fair, the person who provided info about Bengals' planned activity (or lack thereof) is Kat Terrell, the ESPN reporter who has been with the Bengals all season. They didn't just have some national media person comment about every team. Because of her experience to the team more directly, I believe her.

EDIT - After fully reading her comments, it's pure speculation based on past trends at this point. No indication that she's heard how the Bengals will actually be this year.

I've been following her on twitter since she got here to cover the team. I think she and this article has it right, because until someone like Tobin says any different, just have to go with how they have typically done things in regards to free agency. It doesn't mean they won't be aggressive in free agency, it just means there is nothing to go on to indicate they actually will.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 09:46 PM)McC Wrote: It's hard to say exactly how active the Bengals will be with an entirely new coaching staff,

If that is the very first sentence of the blurb, is that really ESPN saying temper expectations?   Call me crazy but that reads like nobody really knows. What I see is a speculator speculating.  I guess there are other ways to interpret that?

To think that a rookie coach with rookie coordinators will persuade MB more than a tenured Marvin Lewis is pure folly. The only way to persuade him is through his wallet. When free agency starts we will see if anything is going to change or is this MB's ploy to dupe the fans. People should put off buying season tickets until the team starts trying to put a winner on the field before enriching the Brown family's coffers.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 02:24 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I've been following her on twitter since she got here to cover the team. I think she and this article has it right, because until someone like Tobin says any different, just have to go with how they have typically done things in regards to free agency. It doesn't mean they won't be aggressive in free agency, it just means there is nothing to go on to indicate they actually will.

Actually, Duke has said says any different.  He has said on more than one occasion that he intends to give the new coach everything he can to help him succeed. 

Maybe that doesn't include starter quality FA(s), though I'm not sure what else it could mean.  And it's not like there aren't multiple signs saying it isn't just business as usual 'round here these days. 

I'm just guessing but that's what the entire article is, so what the hell.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 05:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not sure How it will go but hope they blow our minds. As long as Mike is still alive, the general opinion of the media will stay the same until we prove differently.

I thought last year was a pretty strong year in FA.  Preston Brown and Cordy Glenn were pretty big moves at OT and LB.  The only problem is they had two holes at each position and only addressed one. (Bobby Hart was also a FA addition, but he didn't contribute nearly as much....especially in pass protection).
Reply/Quote
The way I look at it is they almost have to spend on a quality free agent linebacker. Glenn is the only tackle on the roster and has been injury prone the last 3 seasons. I think they have to draft an OT at 11 even if White is there and go linebacker in round 2 to pair with a young free agent LB in his prime. The free agent tackle class is bad I don’t wanna spend money on Ja’waun James who is just ok and I definitely know the Bengals won’t. If we don’t spend on a linebacker the Bengals will have to crush the draft in the first two rounds to find a staring impact tackle and linebacker. Even if that happens they still would need another starting linebacker, a right guard, multiple tight ends and a nickel cb if Dennard leaves. Way too many holes in the roster to just fill them in the draft don’t care how many 6th round comp picks we have it won’t get it done.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 06:05 PM)lone bengal Wrote: The way I look at it is they almost have to spend on a quality free agent linebacker. Glenn is the only tackle on the roster and has been injury prone the last 3 seasons. I think they have to draft an OT at 11 even if White is there  and go linebacker in round 2 to pair with a young free agent LB in his prime. The free agent tackle class is bad I don’t wanna spend money on Ja’waun James who is just ok and I definitely know the Bengals won’t. If we don’t spend on a linebacker the Bengals will have to crush the draft in the first two rounds to find a staring impact tackle and linebacker.  Even if that happens they still would need another  starting linebacker, a right guard,  multiple tight ends and a nickel cb if Dennard leaves. Way too many holes in the roster to just fill them in the draft don’t care how many 6th round comp picks we have it won’t get it done.

This is the main thing. 

The last thing the Bengals want is Zac Taylor to fail in his first season. Add in that the problem areas on the team are so completely obvious (OL and LB) and that there is no way to add sufficient starters in those areas via the draft and Free Agency / Trades becomes almost the only option they have. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 06:14 PM)Joelist Wrote: This is the main thing. 

The last thing the Bengals want is Zac Taylor to fail in his first season. Add in that the problem areas on the team are so completely obvious (OL and LB) and that there is no way to add sufficient starters in those areas via the draft and Free Agency / Trades becomes almost the only option they have. 

The best way is to use the draft as your main tool to build the team and then use free agency to supplement holes you couldn’t address in the draft. Not saying the Bengals have to sign first day free agents to 100 million dollar crazy contracts, but just have too add quality players and not old washed up bums. They took a step in the right direction last year with the Glenn trade. The Brown signing was ok. Player for player trades rarely ever happen in the NFL and who would we trade ? If we trade a quality player for picks then we have just created another hole to fill in the draft.
Reply/Quote
The problem with that is Free Agency comes before the draft. So they have to fill gaps with Free Agency first then work their draft board to attack the remaining issues.
Reply/Quote
Pretty sure Bengals fans have tempered expectations every year about everything related to this team, especially their willingness to spend in free agency.

Either way, she's guessing just like any of us could guess. Obviously knowing our history, you're not going way out on a limb to suggest the Bengals won't be active. She even uses the yearly Hobson drivel about having our own players to sign (as if that's a problem exclusive to Cincinnati).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 07:56 PM)Joelist Wrote: The problem with that is Free Agency comes before the draft. So they have to fill gaps with Free Agency first then work their draft board to attack the remaining issues.

Yes. You are supposed to (in general) try to fill holes via free agency. 

That way you're drafting based on talent, not on dire need. 

That's why when you sign someone that fills a need, people always say "well, that opens up the draft".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 08:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yes. You are supposed to (in general) try to fill holes via free agency. 

That way you're drafting based on talent, not on dire need. 

That's why when you sign someone that fills a need, people always say "well, that opens up the draft".

Yeah, pretty much. Not usually our case tho. I’ll agree with racer tho, last year was surprisingly good.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 08:35 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yeah, pretty much. Not usually our case tho. I’ll agree with racer tho, last year was surprisingly good.

Last year was a step in the right direction. Hopefully it continues.

Good franchises aren't always active in free agency/trades, but when they are, it's usually because they're coming off a poor season with a lot of cap space. Or they're contending and just need that one player that will help put them over the top.
Reply/Quote