Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Shaw

The above tweet says it all. I know a lot of people were clamoring for the Bengals to resign Leon Hall, but Shaw has been a bright spot in the secondary. Now if we could get Shawn Williams on the same page...
Reply/Quote
Our secondary has done a Hell of a job so far this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 10:32 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Our secondary has done a Hell of a job so far this year.

Besides the fact that they've given up the third most passing touchdowns (10) in the league so far, with four of those surrendered to a first year starter making his first career road start...
Reply/Quote
Shaw doesn't make me miss Hall, but what I understand Hall isn't doing bad in NY
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 10:50 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Shaw doesn't make me miss Hall, but what I understand Hall isn't doing bad in NY

He actually has more sacks (1) than int's (0).

He will be playing a lot more this week due to the injuries in their secondary.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 10:47 AM)JumboTron Wrote: Besides the fact that they've given up the third most passing touchdowns (10) in the league so far, with four of those surrendered to a first year starter making his first career road start...

That's because team's can't get TDs on the ground against us. We have allowed 0 TDs on the ground this year. Our secondary is playing great epecially when you consider the receivers we have been going against.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 11:11 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: That's because team's can't get TDs on the ground against us. We have allowed 0 TDs on the ground this year. Our secondary is playing great epecially when you consider the receivers we have been going against.

Why would an opposing team be worried about rushing TD's when they can be much more effective targeting a weak secondary?  Thank God we have the likes of Geno and Dunlap because without pressure it can get ugly back there.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 11:21 AM)JumboTron Wrote: Why would an opposing team be worried about rushing TD's when they can be much more effective targeting a weak secondary?  Thank God we have the likes of Geno and Dunlap because without pressure it can get ugly back there.

A weak secondary? 

Lol, when hunt is your best DL of the first quarter (geno and Dunlap finally came to life this last week) then the bengals clearly are not getting pressure. A DB can only cover so long.  There have been 3 mistakes by Shawn Williams but other than that the secondary is actually playing better. Once the DL plays to its potential the dbs will as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 11:24 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: A weak secondary? 

Lol, when hunt is your best DL of the first quarter (geno and Dunlap finally came to life this last week) then the bengals clearly are not getting pressure. A DB can only cover so long.  There have been 3 mistakes by Shawn Williams but other than that the secondary is actually playing better. Once the DL plays to its potential the dbs will as well.

Yes a weak secondary.  We really need the group up front to get it going and sustain it because the guys in the back end have their issues.  I agree with the OP, Shaw is a boss back there, but the group as a whole needs to step it up because the first quarter of the season has not been pretty.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 11:21 AM)JumboTron Wrote: Why would an opposing team be worried about rushing TD's when they can be much more effective targeting a weak secondary?  Thank God we have the likes of Geno and Dunlap because without pressure it can get ugly back there.

Our secondary is playing like one of the best in the league right now. We have stopped some of the best receivers in the league and limited them to almost no yards. We have played 6 receivers so far this year that had over 1000 yards last year, and we still are in the top 10 in passing yards allowed. Yeah, I guess our secondary is garbage LOL!
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 11:33 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Our secondary is playing like one of the best in the league right now. We have stopped some of the best receivers in the league and limited them to almost no yards. We have played 6 receivers so far this year that had over 1000 yards last year, and we still are in the top 10 in passing yards allowed. Yeah, I guess our secondary is garbage LOL!

Never said it was garabge, I said it was weak, which it is has been through the first quarter of the season.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 11:36 AM)JumboTron Wrote: Never said it was garabge, I said it was weak, which it is has been through the first quarter of the season.

Not at all. Its actually has been one of the best in the league.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 11:33 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Our secondary is playing like one of the best in the league right now. We have stopped some of the best receivers in the league and limited them to almost no yards. We have played 6 receivers so far this year that had over 1000 yards last year, and we still are in the top 10 in passing yards allowed. Yeah, I guess our secondary is garbage LOL!

What does yardage matter? You don't win or lose games based on yardage accumulated or given up. It's points and only points. Secondary and defense as a whole is giving up too many points, but did look pretty good against Miami, so maybe starting to gel.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 11:39 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: What does yardage matter? You don't win or lose games based on yardage accumulated or given up. It's points and only points. Secondary and defense as a whole is giving up too many points, but did look pretty good against Miami, so maybe starting to gel.

Nah dude, don't you know that giving up 10 TD's through the air in four games means we have one of the best secondaries in the league?? C'mon bruh... 
Reply/Quote
People should be careful of picking one stat on either side of the argument and holding it up as proof of something. We have allowed 0 rushing TD's, are we the best rushing defense in the NFL? Stats can be used to make whatever point you want, thats why things have to be looked at globally. I would say our passing defense isn't as bad as some believe and our run d isn't nearly as good as the 0 TD's allowed would say.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 11:39 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: What does yardage matter? You don't win or lose games based on yardage accumulated or given up. It's points and only points. Secondary and defense as a whole is giving up too many points, but did look pretty good against Miami, so maybe starting to gel.

Because passing TDs aren't all on the secondary. If you have no pass rush (like we have been lacking) then it's easier for receivers to get open and get TDs. The fact that we haven't given up much yardage means that the secondary has been locking down the other team. Football 101 guys.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 11:48 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Because passing TDs aren't all on the secondary. If you have no pass rush (like we have been lacking) then it's easier for receivers to get open and get TDs. The fact that we haven't given up much yardage means that the secondary has been locking down the other team. Football 101 guys.

But most of it is.  Thank goodness Tennehill is hot garbage or those per-game passing stats would be worse.  I mean, Jesus, Simien had 312 yards, 4 TD with two WR's (Thomas and Sanders) going over 100 yards with both having at least 1 TD, also both had at least one catch of over 40 yards with Thomas having two of 55.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 11:55 AM)JumboTron Wrote: But most of it is.  Thank goodness Tennehill is hot garbage or those per-game passing stats would be worse.  I mean, Jesus, Simien had 312 yards, 4 TD with two WR's (Thomas and Sanders) going over 100 yards with both having at least 1 TD, also both had at least one catch of over 40 yards with Thomas having two of 55.

And penalties are the reason why that happened. We would have had them off the field every single time they had a deep pass but penalties and the lack of pass rush let it happen. You have to look at everything that happened and not just the score board. 
Reply/Quote
Our secondary has done a good job this year other than giving up big plays, something that they rarely did last year.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 11:55 AM)JumboTron Wrote: But most of it is.  Thank goodness Tennehill is hot garbage or those per-game passing stats would be worse.  I mean, Jesus, Simien had 312 yards, 4 TD with two WR's (Thomas and Sanders) going over 100 yards with both having at least 1 TD, also both had at least one catch of over 40 yards with Thomas having two of 55.

You mean the same Tannehill who threw for 387 and 2 TD's while rushing for 25 yards against NE? Now remember NE has given much of the credit for their success this season to their defense. I'm not saying Tannehill is good, but for some reason the one bad game against Denver has some how trumped keeping the Steelers in check and shutting down a pretty good Dolphins offense.

Cherry picking stats and games to prove points is never a good way to go. Anyone can do it to prove whatever their point is. Fact is defense as a whole has played well enough to win every game we have played in so far, the offense (in different phases it seems based on the opponent) has not.
Reply/Quote