Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Shaw
As the only player on the roster that can play both safety and corner, pretty sure he's too valuable to go anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 07:57 PM)motoarch Wrote: Did you know that success stat is as meaningless now as it was when you used it to defend Kirkpatrick.

Did you know that yardage stat is also meaningless if he’s only covering slot receivers across the middle on short dumpoffs and screens out of the backfield.

I’m not saying he isn’t or can’t be good.  I’m saying context for these stats matter.

We can discuss their value if you want, but they are not "meaningless".

For example a lot of people rave about Dennard, but he was targeted on shorter passes (8.1 avg dist) than Shaw (11.4) last year.  In '16 the average distance on Shaw's targets (10.1) was greater than Pac (9.7) and almost the same as Kirkpatrick (10.9).

When you look at the players at the top of these lists it is obvious that the stats are not "meaningless" the best CBs generally rank near the top.  I never claimed they were perfect, but they at least are more than just the opinion of amateurs around here.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2018, 12:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We can discuss their value if you want, but they are not "meaningless".

For example a lot of people rave about Dennard, but he was targeted on shorter passes (8.1 avg dist) than Shaw (11.4) last year.  In '16 the average distance on Shaw's targets (10.1) was greater than Pac (9.7) and almost the same as Kirkpatrick (10.9).

When you look at the players at the top of these lists it is obvious that the stats are not "meaningless" the best CBs generally rank near the top.  I never claimed they were perfect, but they at least are more than just the opinion of amateurs around here.

I’m trolling you at this point cause I think it’s funny and you’re an easy target. I’m sure these stats have value but I do believe context (like what you just provided) helps. Yards and yards per carry or tds, sacks are all stats were familiar enough with to understand. These more analytical stats need to be contextualized to be meaningful for most of us.

I like what you provide to the forum. I also like screwing with you.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 03:11 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: I don't think he nearly as good a safety or slot CB as he is an edge CB.  He plays well on the outside but seems to get lost in the middle of the field.

Part of that is just luck of the draw.  It's doubtful that he's beating out either of our boundary corners for a starting spot, but we still need to get the best athletes on the field.  I think he's doing a fine job in the middle of the field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2018, 01:09 PM)motoarch Wrote: I’m trolling you at this point cause I think it’s funny and you’re an easy target.  I’m sure these stats have value but I do believe context (like what you just provided) helps.  Yards and yards per carry or tds, sacks are all stats were familiar enough with to understand.  These more analytical stats need to be contextualized to be meaningful for most of us.

I like what you provide to the forum.  I also like screwing with you.

There is definately a lot more to it than the stats Fred provided for sure.

You need to take it down a notch though Moto, don't want to see you get banned or somethin'. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Josh Shaw looked like a NFL caliber slot corner in 2016 but at safety in 2017 he struggled mightly. As someone mentioned in this thread he took very poor angles and missed or made arm tackles allowing the ball carrier to get a few extra yards. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote