Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Sitton
Bears are releasing 4x pro bowl OG Josh Sitton. Could be a nice piece to add, and not really a "big name" addition.
[Image: sig2.jpg]
Reply/Quote
perfect if hes released wont count against comp picks... Whats the word on why? are they over the cap or did he have a down year.
Reply/Quote
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-josh-sitton-option-declined-20180220-story.html

looks like hes good to go. OG isn't the biggest OL issue we have but if hes an upgrade sure. Would keep redmon and westerman on the bench though but that's what camp is for
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 11:32 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-josh-sitton-option-declined-20180220-story.html

looks like hes good to go.    OG isn't the biggest OL issue we have but if hes an upgrade sure.   Would keep redmon and westerman on the bench though but that's what camp is for

Could also give Boling more looks at LT if we did this in case Westerman or Redmond look good at the other Guard spot.

Still think we ought to get a LT in FA more than a Guard though as you said Guard is not our biggest issue.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 11:30 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: perfect if hes released wont count against comp picks... Whats the word on why?  are they over the cap or did he have a down year.

I assume a cap casualty.  All I can find is....

“We had a great conversation and we talked about how we enjoyed each other’s company and our time together, and it was a very positive conversation,” 
[Image: sig2.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 03:15 PM)WhoDeyLeisure Wrote: I assume a cap casualty.  All I can find is....

“We had a great conversation and we talked about how we enjoyed each other’s company and our time together, and it was a very positive conversation,” 

The interesting thing with Sitton is he wasn't THAT expensive for Chicago, only going to count $8 mill toward the cap. But they did save $7.9 mill in cap by not picking up the option.
However, people thinking he'll be a Bengal are drink crazy juice. Sitton was the #5 guard last year according to PFF. He's going to get more than $8 mill average in FA, just like Norwell will. The Bengals won't get into a bidding war with another team over a guard, especially when this draft has some good guards and Westerman and Redmond showed promise at the end of the year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 11:30 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: perfect if hes released wont count against comp picks... Whats the word on why?  are they over the cap or did he have a down year.

This reference above should be put up as a sticky.  If Mikey won't compromise signing street FA to jeopardize the comp plan, Marv's line about needing to sign other team's guys can still happen with cut players.  There are two ways to change the lowball tire kicking approach.  1. Cut dead weight 2. Pay the cut FA's more.  I'm also not worried about signing guys on the wrong side of 30.  The Bengals need talent and competition, no more handing a guy that looked good for a few games a starting gig without a plan B.  
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 04:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The interesting thing with Sitton is he wasn't THAT expensive for Chicago, only going to count $8 mill toward the cap. But they did save $7.9 mill in cap by not picking up the option.
However, people thinking he'll be a Bengal are drink crazy juice. Sitton was the #5 guard last year according to PFF. He's going to get more than $8 mill average in FA, just like Norwell will. The Bengals won't get into a bidding war with another team over a guard, especially when this draft has some good guards and Westerman and Redmond showed promise at the end of the year.

Disagree. He's been Injured last couple years and he's 31, which is the reason that they released him. Add in the fact there's a minimum of 5 all pro potential guards in the draft and I think his market value is Clint bolings value. I would love to get sitting for about 6 million(if we can scrape the cash together) and draft a center first 2 rounds.and suddenly our interior oline looking mights fine.
Reply/Quote
Battled injuries last couple years and word is they wanted to go younger. I assume they wanted Nelson.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 08:45 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Disagree. He's been Injured last couple years and he's 31, which is the reason that they released him. Add in the fact there's a minimum of 5 all pro potential guards in the draft and I think his market value is Clint bolings value. I would love to get sitting for about 6 million(if we can scrape the cash together) and draft a center first 2 rounds.and suddenly our interior oline looking mights fine.

I think Sitton goes $8 mill a year average at minimum. He played 13 games out of 16 the past two seasons, it's not like he's missed a ton of time. And he was a top 5 OG in 2017 in the 13 games he played according to PFF. He's going to get paid well. He'll have plenty of suitors. You are undervaluing what he'll get on the open market IMO.
Hell, Boling would probably be getting $8 mill a year average if he signed a new contract.

EDIT - Also, the Bears did not release Sitton. They declined his option. According to Rotoworld, because his option was not picked up rather than being released, he cannot sign with a team until the official start of FA in March. I also believe that means signing him would affect comp picks for 2019.
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4891/josh-sitton
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Yeah, this isn't happening with Westerman and Redmond playing serviceable the last few games.

LT or Center in FA is the way we should go. These are much more valuable positions on the OL.

Problem is there are only a handful of these guys in FA and all will command some dough and we still have to re-sign Geno, Dunlap and DD.

Need to cut Adam, MJ and not bring Bodine or Lafell back. Then grab either Solder, Jensen, Fulton or Sullivan in FA.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 06:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, this isn't happening with Westerman and Redmond playing serviceable the last few games.

LT or Center in FA is the way we should go. These are much more valuable positions on the OL.

Problem is there are only a handful of these guys in FA and all will command some dough and we still have to re-sign Geno, Dunlap and DD.

Need to cut Adam, MJ and not bring Bodine or Lafell back. Then grab either Solder, Jensen, Fulton or Sullivan in FA.

I think the most likely to be gone is Adam Jones since it's a team option. If the team declines his option, he becomes an UFA and will affect comp picks (in a good way).
LaFell is still under contract for 2018, same as MJ. I don't see the Bengals cutting them until after the draft at least.
I hope Bodine is not brought back with the only caveat being if he's not given the starter role by default and there can truly be a battle with an early-to-mid round draft pick.
Ideally, I'd love to see an outside FA brought in to solidify the C position with TJ Johnson backing up.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 12:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the most likely to be gone is Adam Jones since it's a team option. If the team declines his option, he becomes an UFA and will affect comp picks (in a good way).
LaFell is still under contract for 2018, same as MJ. I don't see the Bengals cutting them until after the draft at least.
I hope Bodine is not brought back with the only caveat being if he's not given the starter role by default and there can truly be a battle with an early-to-mid round draft pick.
Ideally, I'd love to see an outside FA brought in to solidify the C position with TJ Johnson backing up.

Sounds all plausible. Just so happy we have Pollack here. I highly doubt he will play favorites with players like PA did with Bodine.

Need to re-sign Geno, Carlos and DD. Just sign one top tier OT or Center and we are good man.

Battle it out in camp and see what to do with MJ and Lafell afterward.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 03:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds all plausible. Just so happy we have Pollack here. I highly doubt he will play favorites with players like PA did with Bodine.

Need to re-sign Geno, Carlos and DD. Just sign one top tier OT or Center and we are good man.

Battle it out in camp and see what to do with MJ and Lafell afterward.

What if in order to sign a top C or OT it meant giving up Atkins or Dunlap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Sitton is more of a Bengals signing, a guy who was once really good but clearly past his prime. Not a permanent fix, and who knows if he will actually be good. Bringing in Sitton would be par for the course with this team. Sign aging vet in hopes that a draft pick develops into a decent player, instead of just signing a younger free agent thats a proven commodity.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We need a tackle and guard.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 09:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What if in order to sign a top C or OT it meant giving up Atkins or Dunlap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well then i would probably just draft the Center and OT lol

Don't want to lose those guys, especially Geno.
Reply/Quote