Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Tupau Bright spot on a dismal defense
Yes, yes it's a Hobson piece. But, the numbers don't lie. Tupau is developing into a run stuffing, pocket pushing, blocker eating force in the middle for the Bengals. Currently ranks 30/185 eligible DTs versus the run.

https://www.bengals.com/news/matchup-of-the-game-tupou-emerges-in-middle?fbclid=IwAR3eazb6kIaVrj6E4WrsGU1jzF0H__GnA2lWip6nghdZ0kYefAZGAwe8ERg

Quote:And that’s how he’s risen to No. 30 in profootballfocus.com’s run rankings for 185 defensive tackles, ahead of such guys as the Raiders’ Jonathan Hankins, the Steelers’ injured Stephon Tuitt and his pal Billings, ranked No. 37 against the run.

“If you want to run it up against the middle those guys, it’s tough,” Eason says.

Quote:“Seven tackles. Two tackles for loss. A forced fumble,” Eason says. “The thing about Josh what people don’t understand is he’s eating up a lot of blocks. People don’t see when he doesn’t have those seven tackles the space he’s occupying.”

Despite how it may appear in the games, not all of the Bengals have "given up" trying to play hard.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 09:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, yes it's a Hobson piece.  But, the numbers don't lie.  Tupau is developing into a run stuffing, pocket pushing, blocker eating force in the middle for the Bengals.  Currently ranks 30/185 eligible DTs versus the run.

https://www.bengals.com/news/matchup-of-the-game-tupou-emerges-in-middle?fbclid=IwAR3eazb6kIaVrj6E4WrsGU1jzF0H__GnA2lWip6nghdZ0kYefAZGAwe8ERg

Despite how it may appear in the games, not all of the Bengals have "given up" trying to play hard.

We have actually gotten solid play out of the NT position. Hubbard has done pretty well as well. My issue honestly is with the older higher paid guys on the D line in Atkins and Dunlap. 
Reply/Quote
I haven't got to watch much of the last couple games. But I did get to watch first half of the Raiders game and a bit of the second. One of the things I noticed besides Mixon having some success was Tupau being disruptive and having a couple stuffs on run plays.

And like they say those interior guys don't always get the credit they deserve. He's a keeper.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 10:00 AM)Au165 Wrote: We have actually gotten solid play out of the NT position. Hubbard has done pretty well as well. My issue honestly is with the older higher paid guys on the D line in Atkins and Dunlap. 

Agreed, they look like shadows of their former selves, at times.  However, we currently have 749 threads pointing out things wrong with this Bengals team, I just thought it was nice to find something positive to latch onto, as a ray of hope for next year's team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 10:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed, they look like shadows of their former selves, at times.  However, we currently have 749 threads pointing out things wrong with this Bengals team, I just thought it was nice to find something positive to latch onto, as a ray of hope for next year's team.

Hubbard is playing well too.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 10:00 AM)Au165 Wrote: We have actually gotten solid play out of the NT position. Hubbard has done pretty well as well. My issue honestly is with the older higher paid guys on the D line in Atkins and Dunlap. 

Agreed.  They should be sold to the highest bidder (of draft picks).  There is no point hanging on to them, and although I never thought I would say it, do the same with Dalton and Green.  

My biggest hopes for this franchise moving foward:

A mobile QB that can create things on his own and force a defense to account for him as a runner.

An aggressive defensive coach that will not sit back and get picked apart underneath.

Strength in the trenches:  Invest heavily on the offensive line and defensive line (specifically the DEs).  
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 10:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed, they look like shadows of their former selves, at times.  However, we currently have 749 threads pointing out things wrong with this Bengals team, I just thought it was nice to find something positive to latch onto, as a ray of hope for next year's team.

I keep trying to equate the disappearance of those two, to teams running the ball for 250 yards a game on us and rarely playing with a lead. And to be fair that probably is some of it. But I don't thinks it anywhere near all of it.

I think as always it's not just one thing it's a dozen ! And one of the bigger "things" that kinda gets overlooked in the big picture, in a way is:

You have one guy on whatever side of the ball that's not up to snuff you can get away with masking it a lot. You have two guys that ain't getting it, it becomes very, very tough ! You have three guys playing subpar and it's just impossible.

And everything effects everything. Hopefully Tupau will be a bit of a good piece to build around next season.
Reply/Quote
He has been playing well recently. As a NT, he's on the field less than 50% of the defensive snaps, however, and unfortunately is an RFA next year ... Would love to re-sign him to a reasonable contract, but I hope Hobson's article isn't a prelude to our giving him a Geno-level deal.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 10:41 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hubbard is playing well too.

He is indeed.

(11-22-2019, 10:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed.  They should be sold to the highest bidder (of draft picks).  There is no point hanging on to them, and although I never thought I would say it, do the same with Dalton and Green.  

A mobile QB that can create things on his own and force a defense to account for him as a runner.

An aggressive defensive coach that will not sit back and get picked apart underneath.

Strength in the trenches:  Invest heavily on the offensive line and defensive line (specifically the DEs).  

In the words of meatloaf - you took the words right out of my mouth. We ain't kissing though, haha

In my mind, what's left of it, a defense has to mix in some aggression at times and try and not be just reacting constantly. 
Reply/Quote
Tupau flashed last year I think in the middle of the season.maybe it was the Falcons game. Then either he got hurt it or was inactive
For whatever reason.
He gets a consistant lower pad level and doesn't get driven backwards a whole lot
Reply/Quote
There were some of us who touted Tupou as a late round draft steal back in 2015, as there was thought he may declare for the 2016 draft. Glad to see he is finally coming into his own.

I like both Tupou and Billings. I'd like to see both return to the team, but if only one does, that's ok too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Him & Billings have been very good for us at the NT position. With that being said both Geno & Dunlap have been our best players according to PFF and shouldn't be tossed out of the equation for this team. Honestly the D line is doing its job but the rest of the unit is struggling.
The real issue is LB play on this defense but we really can't address that until the off season anyways.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I agree that topou has been a real bright spot and has been playing well along with Billings. But if they are eating up blocks then that just makes it more Obvious our linebackers are absolutely atrocious. Just saying lol
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 09:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, yes it's a Hobson piece.  But, the numbers don't lie.  Tupau is developing into a run stuffing, pocket pushing, blocker eating force in the middle for the Bengals.  Currently ranks 30/185 eligible DTs versus the run.

gotta do better at sealing the edges... and LBers gotta tackle...

Very telling when our Safties are our leading tacklers.

But we have some bright spots on the line and the secondary just gotta fix the middle. so those guys can do their thing.
Reply/Quote

Well this is great news, sounds like we are good at NT now with Tupou and Billings. Need to have something to hang your 
hat on in such a dismal season. Think we will win at least a couple games coming up, hope so, not good on the players 
psyche to go 0-16. But you have to stop the run to win and with these guys we can do this.

Eason may be a coach to keep.
Reply/Quote

And for some reason opposing RBs are getting past our LBers to the safeties, who routinely lead the team in tackles.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well this is great news, sounds like we are good at NT now with Tupou and Billings. Need to have something to hang your 
hat on in such a dismal season. Think we will win at least a couple games coming up, hope so, not good on the players 
psyche to go 0-16. But you have to stop the run to win and with these guys we can do this.

Billings is an unrestricted free agent.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well this is great news, sounds like we are good at NT now with Tupou and Billings. Need to have something to hang your 

With Pouncey out it would be nice to see Billings have a break out game, and Tupau. Turn Rudolph into the red faced deer in the headlights.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 10:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed.  They should be sold to the highest bidder (of draft picks).  There is no point hanging on to them, and although I never thought I would say it, do the same with Dalton and Green.  

Both are at least worth a second round pick each. I'm tempted to say more (perhaps a late pick added). I think both have at least 2-3 elite caliber seasons left. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Offensively, Hopkins is still playing well also. I saw a stat saying he had won 93.3% of his pass blocks.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote