Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Tupou and Isaiah Prince Opt-out
Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that Bengals DT Josh Tupou has informed the team he plans to opt-out of the 2020 season. Pelissero says no roster move is official yet, but it’s expected.

Cincinnati announced that OT Isaiah Prince has been placed on the reserve/opt-out list.

https://nfltraderumors.co/bengals-dt-josh-tupou-opting-out-of-2020-season/

Edit: Article was updated shortly after I posted to add Prince.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 11:23 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that Bengals DT Josh Tupou has informed the team he plans to opt-out of the 2020 season.

https://nfltraderumors.co/bengals-dt-josh-tupou-opting-out-of-2020-season/

That's too bad...

Oh well, at least we are in good shape at DT, for the most part.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Isiah Prince also opts out!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 11:34 AM)J24 Wrote: Isiah Prince also opts out!

Yeah looks like they updated the article I linked with that info just a few minutes after I posted. I updated the thread title and post to reflect the update.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I like Tupou he played well last year and is a good backup NT. Time for Wren to step up. The Bengals will likely need to sign a guy for some depth , wouldn’t mind giving Timmy Jernigan a look. I know some people will mention Peko he’s too old for me, far as Prince opting out not a huge deal always viewed him as a practice squad level player.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 11:46 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I like Tupou he played well last year and is a good backup NT. Time for Wren to step up. The Bengals will likely  need to sign a guy for some depth , wouldn’t mind giving Timmy Jernigan a look. I know some people will mention Peko he’s too old for me, far as Prince opting out not a huge deal always viewed him as a practice squad level player.

Jernigan has produced wherever he's landed. You could get him for the minimum 
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 11:53 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Jernigan has produced wherever he's landed. You could get him for the minimum 

Agree his biggest issue is staying healthy but It’s worth the risk considering he should be pretty cheap.
Reply/Quote
Tyler Dragon said there are several more Bengals still undecided.
Reply/Quote
Tupou and Glasgow were 2 of the 3 main back ups at DT. That postion has no real depth now. Freedom Akinmoladun and Wren are the only 2 with experience on the roster and neither has that much. The other 2 are UDFA

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 12:25 PM)pally Wrote: Tupou and Glasgow were 2 of the 3 main back ups at DT.  That postion has no real depth now.  Freedom Akinmoladun and Wren are the only 2 with experience on the roster and neither has that much.  The other 2 are UDFA

This.

Neither Glasgow nor Tupou were great players, but they were good depth.

We need to sign another DT.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 12:25 PM)pally Wrote: Tupou and Glasgow were 2 of the 3 main back ups at DT. That postion has no real depth now. Freedom Akinmoladun and Wren are the only 2 with experience on the roster and neither has that much. The other 2 are UDFA

Top 3 Geno, Reader, Wren. Throw in Andrew Brown on occasion and having the 4th or 5th guys being inexperienced is fine by me. If the team feels like they need more experience, they still have the top waiver claim until week 2 and can add a potential cut vet.
Reply/Quote
Well Tyler Clark was probably my favorite UDfA and playing with fellow Bulldog Geno may motivate him a little more. I didn’t think there was any chance he would make the team before. Now he definitely has an opening.
Reply/Quote
That surprises me, since Tupou always seems to be on the bubble to make the 53. Wonder if he has underlying issues. And, I wonder if he told the club prior to them letting Glasgow go. Depending on why Ryan failed his physical, I could see them bringing him back now, maybe, if there is no one out there on the wire better.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 11:46 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I like Tupou he played well last year and is a good backup NT. Time for Wren to step up. The Bengals will likely  need to sign a guy for some depth , wouldn’t mind giving Timmy Jernigan a look. I know some people will mention Peko he’s too old for me, far as Prince opting out not a huge deal always viewed him as a practice squad level player.

Good point about Wren, and at least he got his feet wet a little last year.  I am really bummed about Tupou.  Aside from being the guy with the most misspelled name on here since Houshmanzadeh, I thought he had taken a big step last year and was looking forward to seeing more of him.  Damn.  Odd it happened a day after they release Glasgow.  
Reply/Quote
And just like that DT goes from being a deep position group to a weak position group.

If they wanna go with a cheaper option I think Sylvester Williams is still available.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
[quote='SHRacerX' pid='887330' dateline='1596211925']

Good point about Wren, and at least he got his feet wet a little last year.  I am really bummed about Tupou.  Aside from being the guy with the most misspelled name on here since Houshmanzadeh, I thought he had taken a big step last year and was looking forward to seeing more of him.  Damn.  Odd it happened a day after they release Glasgow.  
[/

Agree felt that Tupou was only going to get better. For an undrafted guy he’s already played above expectations. Tupou has great size at 6’3 345 and moves well. I still remember the play where he ran down Lamar Jackson. Hopefully Wren steps up , feel like he was more of a project pick when we drafted him. Wren also had a significant hip injury that ended his season last year hopefully it won’t bother him this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 01:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That surprises me, since Tupou always seems to be on the bubble to make the 53. Wonder if he has underlying issues. And, I wonder if he told the club prior to them letting Glasgow go. Depending on why Ryan failed his physical, I could see them bringing him back now, maybe, if there is no one out there on the wire better.

It has been thrown around that bubble type players may decide to opt out because they will get a guaranteed $150k from the league vs fighting for a roster spot to earn their salary.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 01:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: It has been thrown around that bubble type players may decide to opt out because they will get a guaranteed $150k from the league vs fighting for a roster spot to earn their salary.

I don't think that would work out.  $150K is about what a player would earn on the practice squad.  With expanded practice squads this year anyone who is already under contract should be able to make a practice squad.

If a player opts out then he will be behind everyone trying to make roster next year.

Seems like the worst think a marginal player could do is take a year off.
Reply/Quote
I think this is a huge mistake and I understand everyone is socially sensitive about everything these days, but he had a positive year then signs a new contract with a team then decides that its in his best interest to sit out. If I were in his position and this was a career that I felt strongly about I would put myself in isolation and focus on the season not opting out. That being said I'm aware I don't know the reasoning behind this and he may very well have a valid resason for making this decision, but ultimately decisions like this leave lasting impressions to those who pay his salary.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 02:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think that would work out.  $150K is about what a player would earn on the practice squad.  With expanded practice squads this year anyone who is already under contract should be able to make a practice squad.

If a player opts out then he will be behind everyone trying to make roster next year.

Seems like the worst think a marginal player could do is take a year off.

I agree, what he is doing is letting another lineman in this year or next years class come in and take his slot.
Reply/Quote