Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Tupou...under the radar contributor ???
Among all the plays that gets lost in the Falcons game was the one play where Josh Tupou got past All Pro Alex Mack and helped Lawson I think get a sack....
I knows it one play. but I think that be a,preview of things to come from him.
at 6' 3 345 he is a,mountain.
I think hes a sleeper and could be a big asset collapsing the pocket
and stopping the run in the a or b gaps
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 12:47 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Among all the plays that gets lost in the Falcons game was the one play where Josh Tupou got past All Pro Alex Mack and helped Lawson I think get a sack....

I believe he had a stuff on a run play as well for little gain.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 12:47 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Among all the plays that gets lost in the Falcons game was the one play where Josh Tupou got past All Pro Alex Mack and helped Lawson I think get a sack....

I believe that was the play on which Lawson got the roughing the passer call.  Tupou was the guy who was knocking Ryan down and making Lawson's intended rib/shoulder hit a neck/head hit.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I go back and forth with him. There seems to be a 1 play or 2 he is involved and then there are a lot of plays where he is on his backside and can't get up. Billings looked better in Sunday's game, but there are things he needs to work, like not getting your shoulder pads turned parallel to the LOS.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 01:33 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I go back and forth with him. There seems to be a 1 play or 2 he is involved and then there are a lot of plays where he is on his backside and can't get up. Billings looked better in Sunday's game, but there are things he needs to work, like not getting your shoulder pads turned parallel to the LOS.

Yeah, both of these guys need to get more consistant but they are definatley looking much better as the season goes on. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 01:33 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I go back and forth with him. There seems to be a 1 play or 2 he is involved and then there are a lot of plays where he is on his backside and can't get up. Billings looked better in Sunday's game, but there are things he needs to work, like not getting your shoulder pads turned parallel to the LOS.

I think that you mean perpendicular.  But, I get what you're saying.

Btw, parallel is perfect form, as in alignment with the LOS.  Perpendicular means shoulders turned, allowing him to be run past.  Sorry for the impromptu geometry lesson, but I figured that you'd like understand why I was criticizing.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Tupou snap counts....

Week 1: 0%
Week 2: 0%
Week 3: 30%, and McCaffrey ran wild all over the Bengals D
Week 4: 17%

The week he played the most, the Bengals D was the most atrocious. So I am going to decline to call him an under-the-radar contributor.

On a related note. How does Tupou and others get more snaps? Less snaps for Atkins and Dunlap, who are at 71.4% and 74.3% on the year. Think about that. Nearly 30% of the time, the Bengals are taking their best DL off the field for second and third stringers. (Tupou was a third stringer.)
-Myles Garrett is playing 96.1%
-Cameron Jordan is playing 93.0%
-JJ Watt is playing 90.6%
-Aaron Donald is playing 87.8%

Meanwhile Dunlap is playing 74.3% and Atkins is playing 71.4% in order to give Glasgow/Billings/Tupou/M Johnnson more snaps. That's MADNESS.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 09:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Tupou snap counts....

The week he played the most, the Bengals D was the most atrocious. So I am going to decline to call him an under-the-radar contributor.

On a related note. How does Tupou and others get more snaps? Less snaps for Atkins and Dunlap, who are at 71.4% and 74.3% on the year. Think about that. Nearly 30% of the time, the Bengals are taking their best DL off the field for second and third stringers. (Tupou was a third stringer.)

Meanwhile Dunlap is playing 74.3% and Atkins is playing 71.4% in order to give Glasgow/Billings/Tupou/M Johnnson more snaps. That's MADNESS.
Yes, but 70% of how many snaps?  Our defense sure seems to be  playing an inordinate number of snaps.  

If your run defense is bad, it often means your NT ain't getting it done.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

These numbers displease me. Do I blame Marvin or Austin for this?

Reply/Quote

Week 3 was also his first regular season action.  Not having Brown also negatively impacted the D against Carolina's run D.

The Bengals are 25th in ToP.  More defensive snaps means more subs.  You also have to look at the depth behind those guys.  Guys who play that many snaps have to take plays off.  As a coach, you have to decide if you're backup at 100% effort is better than your starter at 70% effort.  
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 11:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: These numbers displease me. Do I blame Marvin or Austin for this?

Maybe thanks to that % they have been healthier than all the rest & playing. :andy:
Reply/Quote
Let's try him at WR!
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 10:33 PM)McC Wrote: Yes, but 70% of how many snaps?  Our defense sure seems to be  playing an inordinate number of snaps.  

If your run defense is bad, it often means your NT ain't getting it done.

This seems to be related. If your best guys are taken off the field less often, perhaps you won't be stuck on the field playing more snaps because they can get a stop.

Dunlap has 226 defensive snaps on the year.
Atkins is at 217.

Those four guys I mentioned before are at...
Garrett: 293
Jordan: 240
Watt: 260
Donald: 215

Atkins and Donald are close, but looking at Dunlap vs Watt or Garrett, that's 8.5 snaps a game less than Watt and 16.75 snaps a game less than Garrett. That's a lot of time to be having a backup on the field, and I don't think the DL backups are nearly as good as we all hope/hype them to be.

(10-04-2018, 11:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: These numbers displease me. Do I blame Marvin or Austin for this?

Probably Marvin. Last year Atkins nearly played an equal amount as Glasgow+Billings last year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
We do run a rotation here on the d line have for many years and it has paid off.
Reply/Quote

It is actually very smart.  It also shows those other teams have no capable rotation.  I am not saying that Billings and Tupou are providing the same push as Geno, but a fresher Geno is a more effective Geno.  Ditto Dunlap.  We have to develop those other guys and they only get better by playing.  Glasgow was contributing nicely before his injury.  Willis isn't getting sacks, but he is solid in rotation.  I watch him a lot and it is only a matter of time before he, Hubbard, and Lawson start racking up more sacks.  The big issue for me there is the lack of tight coverage on the back end.  

Your point about Tupou's contributions are very relevant, as he really seemed to wear down in that Carolina game.  I question the conditioning of both he and Billings.  They are great for a play or two, but seem to tire very quickly.  
Reply/Quote
Hard to believe a dude that size could fly under the radar. Ninja
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 02:18 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: We do run  a rotation here on the d line have for many years and it has paid off.

You would think people would know that by now. Playing 90+% of snaps does not keep you fresh in the 4th quarter...
Reply/Quote
Yeah, we run a rotation more so than those other teams and when our guys are on the field so many snaps we have
to do so even more often. Need to do more press man as is said in the other thread to get our players off the field on
3rd downs. It is killing everybody on the Defense right now playing soft zone on 3rd down.

Play aggressive, it is okay to get beat sometimes but not at this rate.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 09:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that you mean perpendicular.  But, I get what you're saying.

Btw, parallel is perfect form, as in alignment with the LOS.  Perpendicular means shoulders turned, allowing him to be run past.  Sorry for the impromptu geometry lesson, but I figured that you'd like understand why I was criticizing.

So much for the degree in engineering..... I worded it wrong
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 02:34 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So much for the degree in engineering..... I worded it wrong

No worries, we all make silly errors.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote