Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
63% of recent IRS audits directed at $200,000 or less earners?
(04-16-2024, 12:19 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Now what matters? Math? And this is funny. I’m pretty sure you support the GOP. The ones who were totally against giving more funding to the IRS, and the ones who had a budget proposal last year that would have cut IRS funding so much so that it actually increased the deficit because it would have hindered our ability to collect.

https://www.budget.senate.gov/chairman/newsroom/press/memorandum-cuts-to-irs-tax-enforcement-would-increase-the-deficit#:~:text=January%209%2C%202023%20%2D%20CBO%20estimated,%24114%20billion%20over%20ten%20years

Didn’t see anything about random audits.

37% of audits going to the top 12% sounds reasonable to me.

If it was entirely random. Sure 50/50 would be ok, maybe even more skewed toward the rich.

But from what I’ve seen this is saying 63% of total audits are households making $200,000 or less. And like I said. That is roughly 88% of the country.

I’d be fine with everybody making over idk let’s say 10 million to be automatically audited.

yea the actual numbers matter.

And no i don't support the GOP with keeping money from the IRS. The IRS is one of the few organizations where we get a positive ROI from our tax dollars. 
Now we are free to criticize how the IRS uses that money but that's a different issue. 

(04-16-2024, 10:54 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: It sounds reasonable, but the middle class is not the ones that are supposed to be targeted. Or,  so that's what we've been told. 

Yea, weird, I pointed out how the IRS re-couped $480M from 1,600 Millionaires and maybe they aren't able to comprehend how many Lower-Middle class people they would need to audit to even come close to that amount of money?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/irs-plans-audit-increase-who-will-be-targeted/

“Here's who will face an increase in audits

At the same time, the IRS is increasing its audit efforts, with Werfel noting on Thursday that the agency will focus on wealthy individuals and large corporations:

The IRS plans to triple the audit rates on large corporations with assets of more than $250 million. Audit rates for these companies will rise to 22.6% in tax year 2026 from 8.8% in 2019.
Large partnerships with assets of more than $10 million will see their audit rates increase 10-fold, rising to 1% in tax year 2026 from 0.1% in 2019.
Wealthy individuals with total positive income of more than $10 million will see their audit rates rise 50% to 16.5% from 11% in 2019.
"There is no new wave of audits coming from middle- and low-income [individuals], coming from mom and pops. That's not in our plans," Werfel said.”

Better get right wing media on this asap, we need to spin this story with some alternative facts so the base can get all worked up and get that outrage fix they have been jonesing for.
Reply/Quote
Yeah I mean given that most earners in the country fall into the category of $200k or less. Something about the 99% or some shit.

I suppose if all you're gonna do is look at the raw percentage and not the why, I imagine it'd piss you off. It's probably also why the right assumes Democratic cities are crime riddled hell holes despite the fact that red cities are significantly worse per capita.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 08:57 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I suppose if all you're gonna do is look at the raw percentage and not the why, I imagine it'd piss you off. It's probably also why the right assumes Democratic cities are crime riddled hell holes despite the fact that red cities are significantly worse per capita.

Any time someone plays the "cities are dangerous hellholes" card I point out that I lived in NYC and Chicago at various times in my life and I survived, and I must simply be one incredible badass. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 10:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Any time someone plays the "cities are dangerous hellholes" card I point out that I lived in NYC and Chicago at various times in my life and I survived, and I must simply be one incredible badass. 

Or so poor and insignificant that no one bothered with you. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 12:05 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Or so poor and insignificant that no one bothered with you. 

Pshaw, everyone knows the poor and insignificant are the best targets because they're too poor and insignificant to warrant the resources and attention of the powers that be.
Reply/Quote