Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June Reds game thread
I still watch the Reds for entertainment and any win feels great. I'm expecting a 100 loss season anyway. Boy, do I miss the Big Red Machine days. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2022, 10:39 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I still watch the Reds for entertainment and any win feels great. I'm expecting a 100 loss season anyway. Boy, do I miss the Big Red Machine days. lol

Me too X 1,000

Baseball in general just isn't what it used to be. I'm going to watch the young pitchers here and there but that's about it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, that 70s team was amazing. I just found out a few days ago that Cesar Geronimo came in the Joe Morgan trade along with Jack Billingham and Ed Armbrister for Tommy Helms, Lee May and J-J-Jimmy Stewart. What a deal.

That was in the off-season between 1971-72. The George Foster for Frank Duffy and Vern Geisart steal . . . um, I mean . . . trade came in early in the 1971 season so in a six month period, they picked up three of their eight starters in big trades. The other five all came from the Reds farm system including Concepcion and Bench who played their entire careers within the Reds system.

Saw an AWESOME shirt on a fan a few games ago. It simply said . . .
Pete &
Ken &
Joe &
George &
Tony &
Johnny &
Davey &
Cesar

I kind of felt it should have had Sparky on there somewhere but I want that shirt.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I saw that shirt too and it is awesome. Reds probably get rained out tonight as storms are coming.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 04:00 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Yeah, that 70s team was amazing. I just found out a few days ago that Cesar Geronimo came in the Joe Morgan trade along with Jack Billingham and Ed Armbrister for Tommy Helms, Lee May and J-J-Jimmy Stewart. What a deal.

That was in the off-season between 1971-72. The George Foster for Frank Duffy and Vern Geisart steal . . . um, I mean . . . trade came in early in the 1971 season so in a six month period, they picked up three of their eight starters in big trades. The other five all came from the Reds farm system including Concepcion and Bench who played their entire careers within the Reds system.

Saw an AWESOME shirt on a fan a few games ago. It simply said . . .
Pete &
Ken &
Joe &
George &
Tony &
Johnny &
Davey &
Cesar

I kind of felt it should have had Sparky on there somewhere but I want that shirt.

I'd love to have that shirt as well. 
Reply/Quote
For that matter gawd what I wouldn't give to go back in time and keep all my Reds jerseys and T shirts, and pennants, and baseball cards from the 70's. They've all disappeared over time. Bengals stuff as well.
Reply/Quote
Would not be surprised to see someone get ejected tonight. Only the first and Bumgarner already had a back and forth with the home plate ump on a pitch called a ball. Votto looked unhappy with a high inside pitch called a strike that looked too up and in. Oh yeah and we got Angel Hernandez for this series. Need i say more.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Greene has put down 19 in a row, looking real good.
Reply/Quote
The home plate umpire in this game needs his glasses checked.
Reply/Quote
Good thing this is an official game.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 10:13 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Good thing this is an official game.

Yep this game will be called here shortly.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 10:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep this game will be called here shortly.

And it has been called.
Reply/Quote
Only hit was a leadoff bunt single. When he did it, I laughed and said "You can't break up a no hitter with a bunt." . . . little did I know . . .
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 12:04 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Only hit was a leadoff bunt single. When he did it, I laughed and said "You can't break up a no hitter with a bunt." . . . little did I know . . .

Yep great game by Greene. Like 5 of his last 6 starts he's been good. It's just the first 4 or 5 games that's killing his ERA. With Ashcraft and hopefully Lodolo they might be forming the nucleus of a decent staff. I'd say the Castellini's will screw it up though. 
Reply/Quote
Greene is for real. His outing yesterday was complete dominance. I'm getting to like our pitching rotation. Unfortunately, some may be traded at the deadline to contenders. I don't blame them. I would like to get a World Series ring as a player.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Ashcraft pitching tonight, good reason to watch.
Reply/Quote
Barry Larkin with a great point during the 7 inning game with Hunter Greene dominating more or less stating that the arrival of Graham Ashcraft has lit a competitive fire under Greene.

High profiled rookie
Comes in with 100 plus mph fastball
Struggles at first until . . .

Low profiled rookie
Dominates while throwing strikes

Hunter's only problem that I saw was straight fastballs getting crushed. You can get away with high fastballs IF there is movement on the pitches. No movement? 6 plus ERA.

Watching the post-game tonight after Ashcraft's dominance, they showed a 4 pitch strikeout by Ashcraft.
High - drop to middle, outer part of the plate - CUTTER
Low, inside part of the plate - SINKER
High - drop to middle, outside - CUTTER
Low, outside corner - SLIDER

Not one straight fastball.

Hunter now has three more days to think about what he's been doing right and also how Ashcraft goes about his business.

Now if they can just teach Mahle to not nibble so damn much.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 01:41 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Barry Larkin with a great point during the 7 inning game with Hunter Greene dominating more or less stating that the arrival of Graham Ashcraft has lit a competitive fire under Greene.

High profiled rookie
Struggles at first until . . .

Low profiled rookie
Dominates while throwing strikes

Hunter's only problem that I saw was straight fastballs getting crushed. You can get away with high fastballs IF there is movement on the pitches. No movement? 6 plus ERA.

Watching the post-game tonight after Ashcraft's dominance, they showed a 4 pitch strikeout by Ashcraft.
High - drop to middle, outer part of the plate - CUTTER
Low, inside part of the plate - SINKER
High - drop to middle, outside - CUTTER
Low, outside corner - SLIDER

Not one straight fastball.

Hunter now has three more days to think about what he's been doing right and also how Ashcraft goes about his business.

Now if they can just teach Mahle to not nibble so damn much.

And Castillo, I believe he tries to get to cute outside the zone as well.
Reply/Quote
Let's play ball. The rain is gone. Hope the Reds can sweep this series as I am going to the Thursday afternoon game.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Four of the starters are hitting under .200.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote