Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June Reds game thread
Congratulations to Hunter Greene for winning the NL Player Of The Week.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2022, 05:01 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Congratulations to Hunter Greene for winning the NL Player Of The Week.

Hadn't heard that, sweet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hey Reds won, I just can't stay up that late haha. Mahle vs. Davies tonight hopefully we get good Mahle. Drury is on fire !
Reply/Quote
Reds started a new winning streak. Hope we keep it up. India is back in the lineup tonight.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 01:44 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Reds started a new winning streak. Hope we keep it up. India is back in the lineup tonight.

Good news ! Hope he can get back up to speed soon.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 01:44 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Reds started a new winning streak. Hope we keep it up. India is back in the lineup tonight.

Winning streak over Reds bullpen blew another one.
Reply/Quote
STRANGE REDS MATH :

The Reds are 17 games under .500

However the Reds are 12 games out of 1st Place in the NL Central loss column.

Also the Last Place Reds are only 3 games out of 3rd Place and just 1 game out of 4th Place.

So MOVING UP THE LADDER is possible with 99 Games left.

I'm also hoping Max Schrock and Lodolo stay on pace to return soon. Max Schrock was Reds best hitter in Spring Training with an OPB of over .600 in many at bats for Spring before injury right before season. The Reds could use his Bat. Senzel and Aquino and Friedl have lousy OBPs. The Last Place Reds should welcome Schrock back and give him playing time at some position in hopes that he can get back to hitting. I saw enough from #1 pick Lodolo to see he has good stuff for a Lefty. I liked that he had control of his pitches and could throw strikes. The Reds have Castillo, Mahle, Greene, Ashcraft, Minor as their starting 5 now, but the return of top pick Lodolo is needed and down the road the return of Overton.

So Pete Rose would say to focus on catching the Cubs and Pirates and moving into 3rd Place and then try to move up on The Brewers and Cardinals. The Reds are only 3 games out of 3rd, so GO FOR IT. The Reds 12 games out of 1st is not impossible with 99 games and 3 and a half months to play. The teams in front of Reds are not going to win every game either. The Reds had an awful April to start season, but Reds have played over .500 since May 1st. Plus the Reds are more and more getting injured players back.

I do think the math is interesting that 17 games under .500 but only 12 games out of 1st Place. A Hot Streak by the Reds would put them in 3rd Place and maybe only 7 or 8 games out of 1st Place around the 4th of July. That should be The Goal as of June 16th.

If the Reds can get players back and be better and healthy, they can gain a lot of ground when they play Cubs, Pirates, Brewers, Cardinals, because just like Bengals in AFC North, a Division Win is not just a win for you but a loss for them, so you move up FAST with Division Wins. The good thing about the lousy April was the Reds only played one Division Series. Had they lost all April against Division, they would be 30 games out, but as luck would have it, they are only 12 games out and have been playing over .500 ball the last 45 days. They have overcome problems of April of most of the team on IL
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
It's going to be a long week or so playing the teams we are. Time to start a project. I might make another set of cornhole boards.
Reply/Quote
Reds play the Brewers this afternoon. Hope we eke out a win. We have the Dodgers coming to town and the outlook is bleak for that series.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
This is just a Lousy Weekend for the Reds. They had a chance to go from 12 games behind Brewers to 9 Games behind. Instead they are getting SWEPT and will fall to 15 games behind Brewers in NL Central.

Greene and Ashcraft served up batting practice like the rookies they are. Nothing GREAT about either of them at this point.

and Yet the Reds Announcers continue to hype Joey Votto. Everything he does is so Wonderful. I still say if The Reds are serious about cutting payroll, you Trade Votto in July. If he is playing Bad, you trade him. If he is playing well, you trade him. The Reds will finish in Last Place with or without Votto, as they are proving this weekend. Actually the team won more games when Votto was injured this season. If The Reds could dump The Votto Payroll or even Half of The Votto Payroll, that would give the Reds MONEY to rebuild for 2023.

The Mighty Votto came to the plate today in the 7th, bases loaded behind 3 runs. Somewhere there are people smiling, I'm sure without a doubt. But there is no joy in Mudville, Mighty Votto has Struck Out.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 12:47 PM)kevin Wrote:   The Reds 12 games out of 1st is not impossible with 99 games and 3 and a half months to play. 

Actually it pretty much is.

Mathamatically it is possible, but not realistic.  We would need two teams to collapse (Brewers, Cards).

Even if we played at a ridiculous .666% (108 win pace) we still end up with just 87 victories.  If the Cards just play .500 ball the rest of the season they will do better than that.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually it pretty much is.

Mathamatically it is possible, but not realistic.  We would need two teams to collapse (Brewers, Cards).

Even if we played at a ridiculous .666% (108 win pace) we still end up with just 87 victories.  If the Cards just play .500 ball the rest of the season they will do better than that.

HEY, HEY....HOLD ON THERE......Read what I JUST POSTED, not what I posted days ago. 

The Reds had a chance to gain ground on The Brewers this weekend and move from 12 games to 9 games out with over 3 months to play.  However The Reds played like THE LAST PLACE TEAM that they are and GOT SWEPT and are now 15 games out from Brewers.  

So with the Reds losing ground, not gaining ground, I would trade Votto in July no matter how great Jim Day and others paid Reds Flunkies rave about him.  This was a Lousy Weekend for Reds and the team is on pace to lose 100 games, with or without Votto, so Trade Votto and try to dump some of his Payroll to help rebuild this team for 2023.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 06:19 PM)kevin Wrote:  I would trade Votto in July no matter how great Jim Day and others paid Reds Flunkies rave about him.  

1.  No one is raving about how Votto is playing this year.

2.  He has zero value in trade.  We can't even dump payroll because we would have to pay his salary to get some other team to take him.
Reply/Quote
Votto also has a no trade clause in his contract.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 06:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  No one is raving about how Votto is playing this year.

2.  He has zero value in trade.  We can't even dump payroll because we would have to pay his salary to get some other team to take him.

Not to mention the fact that Votto has a full no trade clause in his contract. The Reds can't just trade Votto. He has to agree to being traded.

And as you say nobody is chomping at the bit to add a past his prime, slow, 200 hitter who's defense isn't that good either.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 06:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  No one is raving about how Votto is playing this year.

Then you must not get Reds TV of Jim Day and others who all they talk about is THE WONDERFUL JOEY VOTTO :  THE FACE OF THE REDS.  ...I mean, I get it.  The Reds pay Votto a ton, and so these Reds stooge announcers have to hype Votto every moment of every game to keep their Reds announcer jobs.  I get that part.  

If I was Reds owner, I would pay half of Votto's remaining contract if a team Votto agrees to would pay the other half.  I would not see it as millions lost, I would see it as millions saved.  I would pay half his contract from now to 2025 to go play for another team.  

The Reds hopefully learn and NEVER make another 10 year, high paid, No Trade contract to anybody ever again.  The Votto Contract really shackles The Reds and holds this team back, so I can not agree with Reds Announcers on how WONDERFUL Votto is. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 08:32 PM)kevin Wrote: Then you must not get Reds TV of Jim Day and others who all they talk about is THE WONDERFUL JOEY VOTTO :  THE FACE OF THE REDS.  ...I mean, I get it.  The Reds pay Votto a ton, and so these Reds stooge announcers have to hype Votto every moment of every game to keep their Reds announcer jobs.  I get that part.  

If I was Reds owner, I would pay half of Votto's remaining contract if a team Votto agrees to would pay the other half.  I would not see it as millions lost, I would see it as millions saved.  I would pay half his contract from now to 2025 to go play for another team.  

The Reds hopefully learn and NEVER make another 10 year, high paid, No Trade contract to anybody ever again.  The Votto Contract really shackles The Reds and holds this team back, so I can not agree with Reds Announcers on how WONDERFUL Votto is. 

Kevin I agree with you. Votto isn't that good and his contract is killing them. However, Votto's contract this season IIRC is like 23 million dollars. No sane Mgr./GM/Owners are going to pay like 12 million dollars for a past this prime .200 hitter with little to no pop left in his bat and is slower than wet gunpowder. Votto has never been great at defense, today he's just standing by 1st base until he gets to the dugout again.

His tiktoking isn't going to sway any teams to want him.

As far as the announcers go, what do you want them to say ? Votto sucks, the pitching sucks ? the manager sucks ? ahh screw it the whole team sucks ?

The only way they have any chance to trade Votto is if the Reds are willing to pay like 90% of his contract AND Votto is willing to go to whomever ? The chances of that happening are about like me going out in the yard and pushing a rope.
Reply/Quote
I personally thought the Reds learned their lesson with the Griffey Jr. contract. Then, they signed Votto and I knew it was not good.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Votto isn't going anywhere. No contending teams needs a poor hitting 1B/DH.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 12:39 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I personally thought the Reds learned their lesson with the Griffey Jr. contract. Then, they signed Votto and I knew it was not good.

The Reds were just following the market.  They were not the only team to give their biggest start a long term contract.
Reply/Quote