Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June Reds game thread
Reds O on fire up 10-1 wow Happy
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bell showing some emotion getting ejected after a strike 3 call that was clearly outside. Been a bad zone on the borderline pitches all game for both teams.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Cubs up next perhaps they can win that series as well ?
Reply/Quote
I am hoping the Reds beat the Cubs this week. Taking my battles to specific teams at this point.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Great win. So many two out hits and Mahle was dealing.

Day off before a brutal stretch leading up to the all star break. They play 14 games in 13 days before another Monday off.

@ Cubs - The Cubs are being bitches and making the Reds play a late game before traveling back to Cincinnati to play a game where the first pitch is 22 and a half hours after the first pitch of the Cubs game.
vs Braves
vs Mets - NL best record
vs Pirates - Normally a day off but a day/night double header squeezed in due to the lockout
vs Rays - 40-32 and in a Wild Card spot
day off before heading to . . .
@ Yankees - best record in baseball
@ St Louis - 41-34 and in a WC spot
All-Star Break
vs St Louis - again . . . they play the last 6 games of the season vs the Cubs. 3 away and 3 at home.
vs Marlins - a three series reprieve before
vs Orioles
@ Marlins
@ Brewers - NL Central leader
@ Mets - they'll probably hit 75-80 losses by this point with still almost 2 months left to go
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Another great game by Castillo. The Reds have Greene and Ashcraft going the next two games and if they win one of those . . . that's three straight road series wins.

If everything stays the same for awhile, Ashcraft will definitely miss the road trip to Yankees and Greene will miss it, too, unless they skip Minor in the rotation after the day off before the Yankees series
vs Pirates - Day/Night Doubleheader. Mahle starts early game . . . TBA for late game (Lodolo? minor leaguer?) Too much of a tough schedule to make it a bullpen game when you're playing near the end of 14 games in 13 days

vs Rays - 40-32 and in a Wild Card spot - Greene and Ashcraft due to start last two games
day off before heading to . . .
@ Yankees - best record in baseball
@ St Louis - 41-34 and in a WC spot
All-Star Break

Part of me is glad Greene is due to miss the Yankees but another part of me wants them to skip Minor and let Greene get it out of the way during a lost season. If he's still a Red the next time they play there, it'll be less of a step the 2nd time.

I've also noticed that if they don't skip Mike Minor, then Tyler Mahle is due for the "All-Star break 10 day DL" as he'll be the starter that would have been due in the rotation if the All-Star break didn't happen. His 10 days missed would have most likely happened anyway.

If they do skip Minor, then Castillo would be in that position. Also, Castillo may get dealt shortly after the All-Star break because he's due for two more starts after the All-Star break before the trade deadline. Both starts due to be at home.
vs St Louis
vs Miami if he's one of the first couple of starters coming out of the break or vs Baltimore if he's not(ASB 10 day DL).

I see the Reds getting one more start from Castillo at home against St. Louis before trading him. They don't want their best chance to pick up a ding or a pull a muscle before the deadline against Miami or Baltimore. Going out at home against a hated division rival just feels right.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Castillo is pitching himself out of Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 08:50 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Castillo is pitching himself out of Cincinnati.

Yep, Castillo, Drury and probably others won't be Reds much longer. I just hope they get something for down the road in return.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 11:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, Castillo, Drury and probably others won't be Reds much longer. I just hope they get something for down the road in return.

Castillo has real value. We should get a decent return for him.

Drury and any others will just bring low level prospects.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 12:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Castillo has real value. We should get a decent return for him.

Drury and any others will just bring low level prospects.

Right but just hoping perhaps somebody desperate for something will give a bit more than they should. It happens.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 01:07 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right but just hoping perhaps somebody desperate for something will give a bit more than they should. It happens.

Sometimes you can get a decent prospect that is just really young.  With baseball it is hard to judge which teenage prospects will actually become solid MLB players.

So while Castillo may return a top prospect who is somewhat proven (AA or AAA) guys like Drury may return a player who is also a good prospect just in the A or A+ level.
Reply/Quote
WHY did Greene have to leave the game after 4 innings ?

I didn't watch it, so I do not know.

Red.com acts like it was a great outing. Greene Gets 5 K's in 4 Innings is their Hype. Yes, and he gave up 3 earned runs is 4 innings and took another loss. Plus he made the bullpen work overtime.

Was he injured, because his Pitch Count wasn't that bad. Why did Greene get pulled by Bell after 4 innings ? Was he injured ?

It was NOT a good outing, I don't care how Reds.com tries to spin it.

As for all this trade talk on Drury, he is the only Home Run hitter on this team and Reds are getting him pretty cheap. If you trade Drury the Reds will indeed lose over 100 games this year. It is sad that in Home Run Friendly park the Reds play in, only Drury is hitting Home Runs and Pham is close with 10. The High Paid Killing this team are Votto with 5 Homers and Moose with 3 Homers and both batting around .220 at mid point of season.

Pete Rose and Joe Morgan said if they had played in Great American they would have hit 30 homers each every year. So the Reds bats must be very weak in 2022 because The Reds can't even hit homers in Great American Ball Park.

As for Trade talk, getting rid of Drury or Castillo will not help this team and you know it. You Know It. You are thinking the way the game has been played for 150 years, you are not with the times. The Reds are a SMALL MARKET ball club. They do NOT have the payroll the Yankees or Dodgers have and never will. They need to do more with less. However that is impossible with the Votto Contact that runs into 2024 or 2025. The Reds are looking at 2 or 3 more seasons in Last Place as long as they are stuck with Joey Votto. A First Baseman with 5 Homers and batting around .200 and yet is The Highest Paid Red Ever. The money possibilities of players gets very exciting if the Reds didn't have The Votto or Moose Contracts holding this team back. The problem is not Drury or Castillo, The problem is Joey Votto and you know it. As long as the Reds are stuck with The Votto Contract, the Reds will be stuck in Last Place.

It is for that reason I would not trade Drury who is the only Home Run hitter on this team in 2022, nor would I trade Castillo who is one of the very few pitchers worth keeping on this team. Don't blame them because the Reds are stuck with the Votto Contact, and nobody they bring in will help as long as Reds still have The Votto Contract. Only once Votto is off this team can the Reds use his payroll to improve this team, and it's just that simple. That is why I wish The Reds were willing to pay half of Votto's contract to go play his last years for another team. Yes, they would still be paying him plenty to be with another team, but if they could get out of half his payroll, The Reds just might be able to Win More Games. Notice the Reds won games in May when Votto was injured. If they can't trade him, they should at least bench him, I don't care how much they are paying him. Same with Moose. The Reds owner should gladly pay Half of Votto's contract to play for another team Votto agrees to, because at least the Reds would be dumping Half his payroll. Votto was good when Reds had Bruce and Brandon Phillips, but that was a long time ago. He is past his prime and he is going to be just awful the next few years, and why the Reds need to find a way out of his contract. The Reds owner should consider paying even more than half his contract the next few years, because the Reds could use whatever money they would not have to pay him. Paying a big part of his contract to play for somebody else is the way to go, and some team might jump on that if they didn't have to pay all his contract. The owner should go to Votto and ask what teams he would be willing to play for, take the list Votto makes, get on the phone, and work a deal where one of those teams gets Votto at Half Price Discount. It is the quick way out, and the Reds should not ask for much of a player in the trade, just dump payroll. The Reds will not do it however, because they think Votto is Great, and that type of thinking will have the Reds in Last Place for years to come also.

Now Hunter Greene is still young and probably should have been in Minors this year. He leads the Majors in Homers and Losses. Hopefully The Reds aren't ruining a good young pitcher who could maybe be good in 2023. Greene is NOT good in 2022, he is Awful.

I do wonder why Greene had to leave after 4 innings. I guess I'll find out, maybe. His pitch count was not high. 3 runs in 4 innings but that is no reason to pull him. Hopefully he is not injured. He has had injury problems in The Minors. Hopefully he is not injured.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Reds Replay was on this morning and it was the 4th inning. So I watched and got answer. Greene threw over 30 pitches in the 4th inning and announcers said that's a lot. After commercial, in the dugout, they showed Bell talking to Greene on the bench. They pretty much said that with Reds in Last Place and Greene having injury problems early in Minors, why take a chance. So even though his Pitch Count for the game was OK, he had pitched a lot the 4th inning. So it was to avoid injury of a very young pitcher they are counting on in the years to come.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 02:32 AM)kevin Wrote: WHY did Greene have to leave the game after 4 innings ?  

I didn't watch it, so I do not know.

Red.com acts like it was a great outing.  Greene Gets 5 K's in 4 Innings is their Hype.  Yes, and he gave up 3 earned runs is 4 innings and took another loss.  Plus he made the bullpen work overtime.

Was he injured, because his Pitch Count wasn't that bad.  Why did Greene get pulled by Bell after 4 innings ?  Was he injured ?  

It was NOT a good outing, I don't care how Reds.com tries to spin it.  

As for all this trade talk on Drury, he is the only Home Run hitter on this team and Reds are getting him pretty cheap.  If you trade Drury the Reds will indeed lose over 100 games this year.  It is sad that in Home Run Friendly park the Reds play in, only Drury is hitting Home Runs and Pham is close with 10.   The High Paid Killing this team are Votto with 5 Homers and Moose with 3 Homers and both batting around .220 at mid point of season.

Pete Rose and Joe Morgan said if they had played in Great American they would have hit 30 homers each every year. So the Reds bats must be very weak in 2022 because The Reds can't even hit homers in Great American Ball Park.  

As for Trade talk, getting rid of Drury or Castillo will not help this team and you know it.  You Know It.  You are thinking the way the game has been played for 150 years, you are not with the times.  The Reds are a SMALL MARKET ball club.  They do NOT have the payroll the Yankees or Dodgers have and never will.  They need to do more with less.  However that is impossible with the Votto Contact that runs into 2024 or 2025.  The Reds are looking at 2 or 3 more seasons in Last Place as long as they are stuck with Joey Votto.  A First Baseman with 5 Homers and batting around .200 and yet is The Highest Paid Red Ever.  The money possibilities of players gets very exciting if the Reds didn't have The Votto or Moose Contracts holding this team back.  The problem is not Drury or Castillo, The problem is Joey Votto and you know it.  As long as the Reds are stuck with The Votto Contract, the Reds will be stuck in Last Place.  

It is for that reason I would not trade Drury who is the only Home Run hitter on this team in 2022, nor would I trade Castillo who is one of the very few pitchers worth keeping on this team.  Don't blame them because the Reds are stuck with the Votto Contact, and nobody they bring in will help as long as Reds still have The Votto Contract.  Only once Votto is off this team can the Reds use his payroll to improve this team, and it's just that simple.  That is why I wish The Reds were willing to pay half of Votto's contract to go play his last years for another team.  Yes, they would still be paying him plenty to be with another team, but if they could get out of half his payroll, The Reds just might be able to Win More Games.  Notice the Reds won games in May when Votto was injured.  If they can't trade him, they should at least bench him, I don't care how much they are paying him. Same with Moose. The Reds owner should gladly pay Half of Votto's contract to play for another team Votto agrees to, because at least the Reds would be dumping Half his payroll.  Votto was good when Reds had Bruce and Brandon Phillips, but that was a long time ago.  He is past his prime and he is going to be just awful the next few years, and why the Reds need to find a way out of his contract.  The Reds owner should consider paying even more than half his contract the next few years, because the Reds could use whatever money they would not have to pay him.  Paying a big part of his contract to play for somebody else is the way to go, and some team might jump on that if they didn't have to pay all his contract.  The owner should go to Votto and ask what teams he would be willing to play for, take the list Votto makes, get on the phone, and work a deal where one of those teams gets Votto at Half Price Discount.  It is the quick way out, and the Reds should not ask for much of a player in the trade, just dump payroll.  The Reds will not do it however, because they think Votto is Great, and that type of thinking will have the Reds in Last Place for years to come also.

Now Hunter Greene is still young and probably should have been in Minors this year.  He leads the Majors in Homers and Losses. Hopefully The Reds aren't ruining a good young pitcher who could maybe be good in 2023.  Greene is NOT good in 2022, he is Awful.  

I do wonder why Greene had to leave after 4 innings.  I guess I'll find out, maybe.   His pitch count was not high.  3 runs in 4 innings but that is no reason to pull him. Hopefully he is not injured.  He has had injury problems in The Minors. Hopefully he is not injured.

Kevin, your obsession with the contracts of Votto and Moose is getting a little creepy.  But we can't just shut down the entire operation and not make any moves unless we can move those two.  That just is not realistic.  At this point I don't see any team that would take either of them with us paying most of the salary.  

What is realistic is that we are going to lose 100 games this year even if we keep Castillo and Drury.  I actually like Castillo a lot, but he will be 30 next year.  I don't want to give him a big long term deal at this age.  So get a prospect for him.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 08:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Kevin, your obsession with the contracts of Votto and Moose is getting a little creepy.  But we can't just shut down the entire operation and not make any moves unless we can move those two.  That just is not realistic.  At this point I don't see any team that would take either of them with us paying most of the salary.  

What is realistic is that we are going to lose 100 games this year even if we keep Castillo and Drury.  I actually like Castillo a lot, but he will be 30 next year.  I don't want to give him a big long term deal at this age.  So get a prospect for him.

Greene went 4 innings and the next game Ashcraft went 2.1 innings.  The Reds better keep Castillo for now because the Reds are not allowed to carry the 100 Relievers that would be needed without Castillo.  The Reds rookie pitchers are lately having problems, which is often the case with rookie pitchers. They have never gone The Long Season of The Majors.   I hate to say it, but Greene and Ashcraft may have many more rocky games ahead this season.  Somebody has to help the relievers with innings on this lousy team, and it looks like that is Castillo. 

Also if they trade Drury, the Reds will not have one single power hitter on this years team.

Not that I care that much anymore. I am ready for Bengals Football.  The 2022 Reds stink.  

I will predict this. When the Bengals dumped the contracts of AJ Green and Dalton and some 1st Round Picks that never cut the mustard, only then did they get better.  The year will come Votto and Moose will be gone, and hopefully Reds then spend that money as wise as Bengals did.  There are no trades that will help Reds until the days of Votto and Moose are over.  I would not trade my only good pitcher and my only home run hitter at this time, because they are kind of needed just to finish this season, and the fact that no trade will help the Reds until Votto and Moose are gone. 

4 innings by Green and 2.1 innings by Ashcraft.  No, I do not think MLB will let the Reds carry 100 relief pitchers, so they better keep Castillo. 

This is not to say there isn't Help coming. Keep your eyes on the July MLB Draft. The Reds have extra early picks and they should be able to stock up The Futures in The Minors that way without trading Castillo and Drury who they will need just to finish the season. Like it or not, they still have 3 months to play, and Reds will need their only good pitcher and only home run hitter just to complete the 3 months of games that must be played out.

THE DRAFT. That is where to seek the help needed for The Minors now and The Reds maybe around 2025, which is when Votto and Moose should be History. Still, it may be creepy to you, but I would do The Moneyball Movie and pay some team half of Votto's Contract to dump him now, and instantly as GM this would dump at least half of Votto's contract. It is all based on Moneyball Movie, but Reds could use half of Votto contract now. Get Votto to give them a list of teams he would play for, and offer those teams that Reds are willing to pay half his contract to play for them. That is how much I would want Votto off the team now instead of waiting until 2025 when his contract runs out. The Moose is another who I would pay half his salary to play for another team. Not looking for anything in return for them, just dumping half their payrolls, which would give Reds Moneyball Money to try to field a better team in 2023. It is all MoneyBall because it has to be. What to you is " Creepy ", is just the Facts that the Reds are a Small Market Franchise saddled with some huge contracts that are killing them. Like the Oakland A's GM in that movie, you go against 150 years of baseball and change with the times or die. Tampa Rays are a great example of how to win playing Moneyball. In Votto the Reds have the highest paid Red ever as a First Baseman with only 5 homers and batting around .220, so I would gladly pay a team half his salary to dump him and get back half his salary. Same for Moose batting around .200 with not many homers. It's not about Trading For Players, it's about dumping these 2 guys. Reds can get Minor League Players in The Draft in July, they don't need to Trade for them.

I think it " creepy " not to address the real problem with this team, and that is Votto and Moose shouldn't even be on this team. Because the Reds are Small Market, they hurt the team even more. It is just basic Money, Now I know Fans look at the spirit of the game and such, but Money is a major issue in Pro Sports. The Reds simply are spending way too much money on bad players. I would be willing to pay another team Half of Vottos salary to play for them, just to get rid of him Now, and start saving money Now. That is how bad Votto is, and Moose is even worse. The Reds are spending way too much money on bad ballplayers. The Bengals just came out of the same situation. The reason The Bengals won was because they finally dumped bad player payroll. The Reds will not win until they do likewise.

I would keep Castillo and Drury who are earning their paychecks. It's the players not earning their paychecks that have to go, just like the players The Bengals got rid of after Marvin left and Zac took over. Which brings us to Bell and the Reds GM, and they are not showing they should retain their jobs. Like Marvin fired, maybe Reds need some major Coaching changes as well going forward.

We will agree to disagree and the awful 2022 Reds are not worth arguing about. I say look to the MLB Draft in July for the Future Reds. Whatever Reds get in trades would probably be some other teams garbage of no help to Reds. Teams would want Castillo and Drury, they just won't offer much in return. It would be more bad trades on Reds part. The Reds need to look to the year 2025, unless they can dump Votto before then. Please don't hang on to him just to have Joey Votto Day around year 2025.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Kevin, we get it.

We got it the first couple dozen times you posted it.

Answer this question which has been asked to you over and over.

What team is going to trade for either one of them? Only 29 teams to choose from and, even then, Votto is still off of the table.

Seriously, dude. You come across as the idiot in the 90s constantly screaming that the problem with the Bengals is Mike Brown.

We know. Everyone knows. You're not telling us ANYTHING that we don't already know. Nobody can do anything about it. We accept it, find something else to think about and move on.

Anyway, end of Month. The Reds are the 2nd worst team in MLB and the worst team in the NL. THE SEASON IS OVER
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Again i ask why is Cessa still here? He really gives me that same feeling i got when JJ Hoover came in. He always gives up runs.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
I was confident in my choice to anoint Kuhnel as the closer until after I said it. He has been crushed in every outing since I made that statement.

Minor should be packaged in a deal before the deadline. He's got nothing.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote