Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 and Forward: A Hypothethical
(12-30-2015, 10:22 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah let's fire the only coach who has brought us back from the dead.     Mike Shula is a hot commodity now or so I hear ..... Maybe we can hire him.    Would fit right in with the path some want us to take I guess.  

Shula for Bengals HC!!!!!!!!!  Ninja

Imagine if Mike Brown was HALF as quick to fire Marvin as he was Sam Wyche.

Sam Wyche wins a playoff game in 1990 just two years after taking the Bengals to the Super Bowl (the last playoff game the Bengals have won). Then goes 3-13 in Mike Brown's first year as owner. Mike  Brown proceeds to fire him (despite later extending Marvin Lewis after a 4-12 season). So Mike Brown fired a Super Bowl appearing coach after 1 year in office.

Meanwhile Marvin Lewis who "brought us back from the dead" hasn't won a playoff game in 13 years at the helm and is 0-6 in those games, looking horribly unprepared... and still has a job despite his team constantly shitting their pants when the pressure is on.

Sounds WAY better than trying something new. Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I went through the 90's and remember the classic top draft picks of David Klingler, Dan Wilkenson, Ki-Jana Carter and Akili Smith. I missed Super Bowl XVI and XXIII. I was too young to remember. The first season I truly followed the Bengals was in 1990. I remember the Bengals beating up the Oilers and the Bo Jackson injury game the week after. I didn't know that would be the last playoff win I would see in my lifetime.

Marvin Lewis is an institution. He changed the Bengals organization for the better. The Bengals were the "purgatory" for NFL football players. I remember a game in the 90's that was a home game in Week 17. The Tampa Bay Bucs beat the crap out of the Bengals. After the game, I saw Carl Pickens yucking it up with Bucs' players as though they were going to a Christmas party afterwords. I will NEVER like Pickens because of that. That's where the Bengals were.

Does Marvin Lewis suck in the playoffs? Yes, the Bengals have to "out talent" Marvin's weaknesses. Do I want to win a playoff game and make a Super Bowl run? Absolutely. Do I want to get rid of Marvin Lewis? No freaking way, Marvin Lewis at least has enough influence on the roster, drafts and player development to make this team a potential winner. Do I want an upgrade at Head Coach? Absolutely, but who is willing to work with Mike Brown?

I fear that we will have to wait until Katie gets full control before we will see a true upgrade in Head Coach. Part of being a Bengals fan is to realize that they will disappoint as long as Mike Brown is around. I knew this going into being a fan. I always have hope and cheer for my Bengals, but I don't burn my jerseys if they disappoint or fail. This is the best season for Marvin Lewis, so I will keep hoping for a future playoff run.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 11:40 PM)tigerseye Wrote: ML for President.

Why would Marvin Lewis leave the Bengals' HC position for one that has term limits?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Let's turn the playoffs over to Hue Jackson and give him a shot. (The record will go under Marvin Lewis, but hey, it's worth a shot)
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 01:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Why would Marvin Lewis leave the Bengals' HC position for one that has term limits?

Favorite post ever. Well done.
Reply/Quote
Marvin isn't going anywhere no matter what happens in the next few weeks, unless he choose to leave himself.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 01:38 AM)TexasorBusted Wrote: I went through the 90's and remember the classic top draft picks of David Klingler, Dan Wilkenson, Ki-Jana Carter and Akili Smith. I missed Super Bowl XVI and XXIII. I was too young to remember. The first season I truly followed the Bengals was in 1990. I remember the Bengals beating up the Oilers and the Bo Jackson injury game the week after. I didn't know that would be the last playoff win I would see in my lifetime.

Marvin Lewis is an institution. He changed the Bengals organization for the better. The Bengals were the "purgatory" for NFL football players. I remember a game in the 90's that was a home game in Week 17. The Tampa Bay Bucs beat the crap out of the Bengals. After the game, I saw Carl Pickens yucking it up with Bucs' players as though they were going to a Christmas party afterwords. I will NEVER like Pickens because of that. That's where the Bengals were.

Does Marvin Lewis suck in the playoffs? Yes, the Bengals have to "out talent" Marvin's weaknesses. Do I want to win a playoff game and make a Super Bowl run? Absolutely. Do I want to get rid of Marvin Lewis? No freaking way, Marvin Lewis at least has enough influence on the roster, drafts and player development to make this team a potential winner. Do I want an upgrade at Head Coach? Absolutely, but who is willing to work with Mike Brown?

I fear that we will have to wait until Katie gets full control before we will see a true upgrade in Head Coach. Part of being a Bengals fan is to realize that they will disappoint as long as Mike Brown is around. I knew this going into being a fan. I always have hope and cheer for my Bengals, but I don't burn my jerseys if they disappoint or fail. This is the best season for Marvin Lewis, so I will keep hoping for a future playoff run.

I agree completely with your assessment.

The only thing that Mikey really fears is change. He tried it early in his tenure as owner, primarily IMHO, because he "knew" that he knew what he was doing because he inherited his football knowledge from his father. The succession of HCs that he hired and fired after Wyche taught him that if he found the "right person" he keep them for years. And that's exactly what he has done.

But I remain an eternal optimist. I can only hope that Mikey bumps ML "upstairs" to take over the football side of the business and promotes Hue to HC. But we all have to remember that the Bengals are a "family business" ... and promoting an "outsider" into the inner circle is a difficult pill to swallow in that context.
Reply/Quote
Let's face facts here; Marvin Lewis is head coach until HE decides it's time to leave. Also, the chances of Hue being OC next year are slim and I think Vance Joseph will be gone as well. That leaves the Bengals with a Coordinator position to fill and a position coach job to fill in the spring.

Best case: No coaching positions to fill and everyone concentrates on the draft.
Worst case: Hue, Vance and possibly another coach leave (Simmons?). Who do we get to replace?
Reply/Quote
Colts might let pagano go despite injury to luck
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote