Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JungleRock Mock Draft 1.0
I used the CBSSports current Prospect Rankings as a source for which rounds players would be available to keep the expectations of what could happen somewhat realistic. I ended up with a defensively loaded draft based on current needs prior to free agency and typically the Bengals have a more balanced draft so this thing may be entirely off but obviously it is all just in fun.

Round 1 - Darron Lee (LB) Ohio State - I think Lee is the three down type of linebacker that is becoming more and more valuable in today's NFL. He has speed and quickness to rush the passer and defend the pass while also being solid against the run. I have been wanting a Lavonte David type playmaker for a while so maybe this is the year it could finally happen. A future 3 backer lineup of Burfict, Dawson, and Lee would be fun to watch.

[Image: hi-res-9501a9ce83c85044c7e6206f4d2fb1a2_...h=420&q=75]

Round 2 - Tyler Boyd (WR) Pittsburgh - Productive player with good size but some concerns about his speed and character issues from a DUI arrest. I think this is the perfect example of a first round talent that could be had in the second round due to some issues. Obviously the staff should make sure and find the extent of his issues but hopefully he could turn into a 2nd steal similar to when we drafted Carlos Dunlap.

[Image: Tyler-Boyd-696x463.jpg]

Round 3 - Sheldon Day (DT) Notre Dame - Another highly productive player but his concerns are with his size. After watching Geno for years and seeing guys like Aaron Donald also have success I tend to think height and weight for a player at Defensive Tackle is overrated. Day is a good football player that can be disruptive and would be good value here in the 3rd.

[Image: Notre-Dame-Football-Sheldon-Day.jpg]

Round 4 - Cyrus Jones (CB) Alabama - Obviously free agency is going to play a big part in how early we look at Corner. If we decide to bring back Adam Jones (preferably) or Leon Hall then the 4th round should be about the earliest we need to add another Cornerback.

[Image: Cyrus-Jones-Domestic-Violence.jpg]

Round 5 - Tyvis Powell (S) Ohio State - I thought Powell had a bit of a down year at Ohio State this season and should have went back to school for another year. However, if we lose Iloka or Nelson then I think Powell would be a good selection here to provide depth and wouldn't be asked to start with Shawn Williams and Iloka or Nelson also back with the team.

[Image: powell-tackling-cfp.jpg]

Round 6 - Anthony Zettel (DE) Penn State - I could see Gilberry moving on so this is a pure depth pick that wouldn't make an impact immediately but could compete for a roster spot with Margus Hunt and others.

[Image: ncf_i_anthonyzettel_ms_608x342.jpg]

Round 7 - Chris Brown (WR) Notre Dame - Wide receiver that was overshadowed by players like Will Fuller at Notre Dame but was still a solid player with good size and hands. Would like compete for a spot on the roster depending on who we lose in Free Agency or more likely on the practice squad in his first season.

[Image: bcndweb22s-52y-web.jpg]
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd be happy if Lee was there - and Day - and Zettel. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I see that you don't watch very many out of market teams.. (just had to throw that out there)

Anyway, not bad mock. I would love to see the Bengals pull the trigger on a guy like Lee, in the 1st. (provided that he's still on the board, of course)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like the Lee pick.

I'd double-up on Ohio State and take Adolphus Washington, but Day wouldn't be a horrible pick.

Hopefully we get Jones signed and we don't need your second pick because I also don't like how you didn't take a center.
Reply/Quote
If I made a mock after the combine, my first two picks would be identical to yours, and the next two I'd choose the same positions.

So I'll spare everyone the redundancies and throw out a name like Javon Hargrave in the 3rd, add my seal of approval, and be done with it. Nicely done.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 07:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I see that you don't watch very many out of market teams.. (just had to throw that out there)

Anyway, not bad mock.  I would love to see the Bengals pull the trigger on a guy like Lee, in the 1st.  (provided that he's still on the board, of course)

There is a lot of talent from teams like Ohio State and Notre Dame this year. Could easily do a mock draft with just one of those schools. I did this mock before the combine when Lee was projected late 1st/early 2nd. Right now mocks are starting to put him in the top 10 and top 15 so doubt he is available similar to Shazier that I loved a couple of years ago.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 11:02 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: There is a lot of talent from teams like Ohio State and Notre Dame this year. Could easily do a mock draft with just one of those schools. I did this mock before the combine when Lee was projected late 1st/early 2nd. Right now mocks are starting to put him in the top 10 and top 15 so doubt he is available similar to Shazier that I loved a couple of years ago.

Actually, one could do an entire Buckeye mock.  Might take some creative trading, and a few unexpected falls, but the players are there.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd be happy with this draft.

You took 3 of some of my favorite players in the draft in Lee, Boyd and Cyrus Jones.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote