Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jussie Smollett
(03-26-2019, 01:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So do they believe him now or just don't think they have evidence against him?

Like JJ I have know idea.  It's definitely weird.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Jussie has been completely exonerated of all charges.
(03-26-2019, 01:59 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Jussie has been completely exonerated of all charges.

Dropping charges isn't exonerating.  He voluntarily forfeited his $10,000 bond which is a little odd.  

Quote:The Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office tells Yahoo Entertainment, “After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case.”
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-26-2019, 02:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Dropping charges isn't exonerating.  He voluntarily forfeited his $10,000 bond which is a little odd.  

Completely exonerated. No bribed Nigerians. No staged attack. Wink
I'm thinking the prosecution overstepped. with the number of charges in their attempt to make an example out of him.

It's like when victims lawyers demand cops be charged with murder instead of manslaughter. They go for the tougher charge and they get found not guilty. Then you hear the complaints of the legal system, when their lawyers were the ones who failed them.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Interesting enough. Smollett causes Republicans to begin suspecting---and claiming--- "not indicted" and "TOTALLY EXONERATED" aren't synonymous.

THAT bogus Trump+GOP narrative lasted almost 2 days.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(03-26-2019, 02:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Dropping charges isn't exonerating.  He voluntarily forfeited his $10,000 bond which is a little odd.  

Smollet paid a bondsman $10K to get out on a $100K bond.  When you do that you don't get that money back.

**EDIT**  After reading more I don't know if he paid a bondsman.  The laws may be different in Illinois.  But when you are released after just paying 10% of your bond you usually don't get that back.
Seems Rham is not happy:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/chicago-mayor-rahm-emanuel-criticizes-decision-to-drop-charges-against-actor-jussie-smollett-as-whitewash-of-justice/ar-BBVg66i?ocid=spartanntp
Quote:Emanuel criticized the move by Cook County prosecutors, saying he stood by the police investigation.

"This is a whitewash of justice," Emanuel told a news conference. "From top to bottom, this is not on the level."

Legal question:

Does dropping charges mean he cannot be charged with the same offense at a future date?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-26-2019, 03:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems Rham is not happy:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/chicago-mayor-rahm-emanuel-criticizes-decision-to-drop-charges-against-actor-jussie-smollett-as-whitewash-of-justice/ar-BBVg66i?ocid=spartanntp

Legal question:

Does dropping charges mean he cannot be charged with the same offense at a future date?

No.  He can be charged again if charges are dismissed without a trial/hearing.
I am anxious o hear what the hell is happening with this case. It does not make any sense.

BTW is FoxNews apologizing for reporting on this before they knew all the facts? Seems like they were all up the ass of the "mainstream media" for doing that earlier.
(03-26-2019, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Smollet paid a bondsman $10K to get out on a $100K bond.  When you do that you don't get that money back.

**EDIT**  After reading more I don't know if he paid a bondsman.  The laws may be different in Illinois.  But when you are released after just paying 10% of your bond you usually don't get that back.

Off topics, but I didn't think you got it back at all in Tennessee. That's what someone told me years ago, anyway.

In Kentucky, you pay the full amount but you get it back after resolution.
(03-26-2019, 03:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am anxious o hear what the hell is happening with this case.  It does not make any sense.

BTW is FoxNews apologizing for reporting on this before they knew all the facts?  Seems like they were all up the ass of the "mainstream media" for doing that earlier.

I don't know about FOX but I damn sure know the Police Superintendent is not apologizing.

I wonder if there will be riots? 

OK, I'm not wondering that.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-26-2019, 03:18 PM)jj22 Wrote: Interesting enough. Smollett causes Republicans to begin suspecting---and claiming--- "not indicted" and "TOTALLY EXONERATED" aren't synonymous.

THAT bogus Trump+GOP narrative lasted almost 2 days.

I'm the one who said not indicted is not the same as exonerated.  As far as I can tell I'm the only one who actually said that so using basic deduction, I'm going to say that was directed at me.  So now I'm going to need to see where I said that about Trump.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-26-2019, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Smollet paid a bondsman $10K to get out on a $100K bond.  When you do that you don't get that money back.

I know bail bondsmen keep the money, but I know I've heard of the court allowing you to pay 10% obviously with the 90% due if you skip.   I'd assume you get that back.  

(03-26-2019, 04:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I know bail bondsmen keep the money, but I know I've heard of the court allowing you to pay 10% obviously with the 90% due if you skip.   I'd assume you get that back.  

I assume that in exchange for getting out on 10% you don't get that back.  What would be the point of setting a $100K bond if the person could get out for $10K?

But I honestly don't know enough about the law there to argue this point.
(03-26-2019, 04:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I assume that in exchange for getting out on 10% you don't get that back.  What would be the point of setting a $100K bond if the person could get out for $10K?

But I honestly don't know enough about the law there to argue this point.

I always figured it was because you couldn't necessarily come up with the cash, but you had the financial resources to provided the other 90% if you skipped.  

(03-26-2019, 04:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I always figured it was because you couldn't necessarily come up with the cash, but you had the financial resources to provided the other 90% if you skipped.  

But anyone who skips bond will not pay the remaining 90%.  That is the point of having a bondsman.  The court knows where they are in order to make them pay the additional 90%.  That is also the motivation to have a bondsman find and return the bailee after he has skipped
I think the way bail bonds work is if you have your bail set at $100k, you can go to a bail bondsman and pay the $10k, they put up the other $$90k and when the court thing is over, they keep your $10k. If you jump bail, the bondsman sends a bounty hunter after you.

It's how bondsmen make their money.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(03-26-2019, 04:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But anyone who skips bond will not pay the remaining 90%.  That is the point of having a bondsman.  The court knows where they are in order to make them pay the additional 90%.

They take your house or wherever your assets are.  I'm not positive or anything, but that seems like a hell of a money making scheme for the courts.  

(03-26-2019, 04:28 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I think the way bail bonds work is if you have your bail set at $100k, you can go to a bail bondsman and pay the $10k, they put up the other $$90k and when the court thing is over, they keep your $10k. If you jump bail, the bondsman sends a bounty hunter after you.

It's how bondsmen make their money.

Yeah but he didn't go through a bondsman.