Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jussie Smollett
This says that when the court does it, then if you appear you get 90% of the 10% back. I guess like a fee or something.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/t/ten-percent-bond/
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-26-2019, 04:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: This says that when the court does it, then if you appear you get 90% of the 10% back.  I guess like a fee or something.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/t/ten-percent-bond/

Kinda reading between the lines of what #1 Cop said; It appears Smollett told city they can keep the $10G to pay for the costs of investigation (ie Smollet being magnanimous) in the settlement. Cause he and the Mayor kept referring to the fact that the $10G doesn't cover even a little bit of the cost . 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-26-2019, 04:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Kinda reading between the lines of what #1 Cop said; It appears Smollett told city they can keep the $10G to pay for the costs of investigation (ie Smollet being magnanimous) in the settlement. Cause he and the Mayor kept referring to the fact that the $10G doesn't cover even a little bit of the cost . 

Who wouldn't pay 10K to get off.

This whole situation is a disgrace. He should've served jail time.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(03-26-2019, 04:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: Who wouldn't pay 10K to get off.

[Image: robertkraft.jpg]

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-26-2019, 04:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: Who wouldn't pay 10K to get off.

So seldom we agree, but we kinda do here. I at least think it should have went to trial if a Grand Jury  indicted. 

(03-26-2019, 04:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: robertkraft.jpg]

Mellow

Not sure this applies.

One time he paid $100 to get off. That's leading to him spending wayyyyyyy more than $10k to get off. Hell, that's not going to cover the travel expenses for his legal team.
The mayor and the chief are pissed, and a prosecutor said this is not an exoneration. Really weird how this went down.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-26-2019, 07:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The mayor and the chief are pissed, and a prosecutor said this is not an exoneration. Really weird how this went down.

Weird doesn't even begin to explain it.  I have to think there's a lot more to this than is being publicly released.  Hopefully the Feds don't give Smollett the same kid gloves treatment.
(03-26-2019, 08:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Weird doesn't even begin to explain it.  I have to think there's a lot more to this than is being publicly released.  Hopefully the Feds don't give Smollett the same kid gloves treatment.

I agree this is very strange, but since I don't know what is going on I am not going to keep busting on Smollett.  Remember how critical some people were of making judgments about this case before they knew all the facts?
(03-26-2019, 09:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree this is very strange, but since I don't know what is going on I am not going to keep busting on Smollett.  Remember how critical some people were of making judgments about this case before they knew all the facts?

You don’t need to. Rahm tore him a new one. LOL

(03-26-2019, 09:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree this is very strange, but since I don't know what is going on I am not going to keep busting on Smollett.  Remember how critical some people were of making judgments about this case before they knew all the facts?

Sure, but we actually have a slew of facts now in the form of a very through police investigation with corroborating witnesses/participants.  As I said, something is off here, I'd be very interested in knowing what it is.
(03-26-2019, 10:07 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As I said, something is off here, I'd be very interested in knowing what it is.

smart money is a former President called in a favor....
--------------------------------------------------------

(03-26-2019, 10:26 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: smart money is a former President called in a favor....

Yeah, because in this climate a guy getting paid to do nothing for the rest of his life is going to go to jail on an obstruction charge to help out an actor no one heard of before this.

If you'll buy that, I'll sell you the secret knock that let's you into a sex dungeon hidden beneath a pizza parlor. 
(03-26-2019, 01:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So do they believe him now or just don't think they have evidence against him?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-smollett-emanuel-johnson-low-voter-turnout-aldermanic-race-rundown-spin-20190326-story.html

Article pretty much explains everything.  See specifically Prosecutor Statement #2.

I'm not sure how the national news, and specific nature of the hoax, should factor in....but it's not surprising that a false police report isn't all that serious, or that $10k and community service is not an appropriate punishment.  Because the other mitigating factor is his false report didn't directly harm anyone specific.

I'd take my cue from Rahm and the Police Chief.  But it does seem unusual that there's no admission of guilt and the facts & evidence are sealed.

(03-26-2019, 10:37 PM)Benton Wrote: Yeah, because in this climate a guy getting paid to do nothing for the rest of his life is going to go to jail on an obstruction charge to help out an actor no one heard of before this.

If you'll buy that, I'll sell you the secret knock that let's you into a sex dungeon hidden beneath a pizza parlor. 

It's a joke.  But were you aware the DA had to recuse herself after conversations with family and Michelle Obama's chief of staff (who called asking the matter be referred to the Feds)?

Also, Rahm made subtle reference to being connected to someone who did a favor for him.  I guess, unless, you consider a supporting actor on a tv show someone who posseses the "position of influence and power" Rahm is referring to:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-jussie-smollett-emanuel-johnson-transcript-20190326-story.html
"This is without of doubt a whitewash of justice and sends a clear message that if you’re in a position of influence and power, you’ll get treated one way, other people will be treated another way."

(03-26-2019, 10:45 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: It's a joke.  

If it's a joke, there's no need to follow up with 

Quote:But were you aware the DA had to recuse herself after conversations with family and Michelle Obama's chief of staff (who called asking the matter be referred to the Feds)?

Also, Rahm made subtle reference to being connected to someone who did a favor for him.  I guess, unless, you consider a supporting actor on a tv show someone who posseses the "position of influence and power" Rahm is referring to:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-jussie-smollett-emanuel-johnson-transcript-20190326-story.html
"This is without of doubt a whitewash of justice and sends a clear message that if you’re in a position of influence and power, you’ll get treated one way, other people will be treated another way."

It's either a joke, or a conspiracy by a president to obstruct justice. You can't wear a tinfoil hat and eat it too.
(03-26-2019, 10:45 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: It's a joke.  But were you aware the DA had to recuse herself after conversations with family and Michelle Obama's chief of staff (who called asking the matter be referred to the Feds)?

Were you aware that if she recused herself then she could not be the one who dismissed the charges?
(03-27-2019, 12:44 AM)Benton Wrote: If it's a joke, there's no need to follow up with 

It's either a joke, or a conspiracy by a president to obstruct justice. You can't wear a tinfoil hat and eat it too.

Who put you in charge of what a joke is?

Dude said it was a joke; but maybe it was nuanced. 

(03-27-2019, 01:23 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Who put you in charge of what a joke is?

Dude said it was a joke; but maybe it was nuanced. 

Common sense?

If it's a joke, great. It's a joke. 

If it's a joke, there's no need to go into detail the reasons why it's not a joke.

That's not really what a nuance is.
(03-26-2019, 10:37 PM)Benton Wrote: Yeah, because in this climate a guy getting paid to do nothing for the rest of his life is going to go to jail on an obstruction charge to help out an actor no one heard of before this.

I don't think that would be obstruction unless he exerted some sort of pressure.  "Hey could you give him a break" is just asking a favor.  

Jussie should now shut his mouth and walk away.  I understand sometimes people get favors done, but don't self-righteous afterwards.