Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jussie Smollett
(02-21-2019, 10:23 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Candidates campaign based on the electoral college which makes the whole discussion on popular vote meaningless.

Then (just to play devil's' advocate) isn't it just as "bad" to have a handful of states with a lot of EC votes have control as it would be to simply have the popular vote win?

And I personally don't think the discussion is meaningless if there is a way to change/modernize it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-21-2019, 10:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: Then (just to play devil's' advocate) isn't it just as "bad" to have a handful of states with a lot of EC votes have control as it would be to simply have the popular vote win?

And I personally don't think the discussion is meaningless if there is a way to change/modernize it.

No the discussion about the past elections are meaningless in that we don't really know what would have happened if they had campaigned differently.  Hillary could have won by 5 million or Trump could have one by a couple million.  I'm not really invested in one way or the other in how we elect the President, I just think it's not as easy as saying she won the popular vote when that was not the goal.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-21-2019, 02:19 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:   In any event, back to the lying Jussie Smollett and his impending felony charges.  

Hopefully it's severe. There's a tendency for celebrities to get off easy. In this case, the added attention night help discourage future morons from doing similar.
(02-21-2019, 10:38 AM)michaelsean Wrote: No the discussion about the past elections are meaningless in that we don't really know what would have happened if they had campaigned differently.  Hillary could have won by 5 million or Trump could have one by a couple million.  I'm not really invested in one way or the other in how we elect the President, I just think it's not as easy as saying she won the popular vote when that was not the goal.

Agreed on past results...but what about going forward?
(02-21-2019, 10:47 AM)GMDino Wrote: Agreed on past results...but what about going forward?

I hate to sound like an indifferent citizen, but I don't really care.  I'll leave that discussion for others.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

What a POS. Shit like this is why people don't believe when real hate crimes happen.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-21-2019, 10:53 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: What a POS. Shit like this is why people don't believe when real hate crimes happen.

Yup.  Next time a ginger complains about a hate crime, I'm just going to say, Jussie Smollett.  Oh and that I think it's legal anyway.

(02-21-2019, 10:56 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yup.  Next time a ginger complains about a hate crime, I'm just going to say, Jussie Smollett.  Oh and that I think it's legal anyway.

***** gingers

(02-21-2019, 11:01 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: ***** gingers

Don't tell me you are one of those self-hating gingers.  You all need to care for each other because nobody else does.  

(02-21-2019, 11:04 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Don't tell me you are one of those self-hating gingers.  You all need to care for each other because nobody else does.  

Your hatred of gingers is so bad that you accuse everyone of being a ginger, even this fair haired kid. 

[Image: nOrX8Qs.jpg]

(02-21-2019, 11:53 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Your hatred of gingers is so bad that you accuse everyone of being a ginger, even this fair haired kid. 

Is that Andy Dalton?  Ninja
(02-21-2019, 11:53 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Your hatred of gingers is so bad that you accuse everyone of being a ginger, even this fair haired kid. 

You know Clayton Bigsby had an excuse.  He was blind.  What's yours?

(Full disclosure...my grandfather, three aunts, sister and daughter are all redheads.  Although regrettably my daughter has dyed her hair dark the last few years.)

(02-21-2019, 10:45 AM)Benton Wrote: Hopefully it's severe. There's a tendency for celebrities to get off easy. In this case, the added attention night help discourage future morons from doing similar.

Read that what he was charged with has a maximum of 3 years, minimum of probation.

Faking hate crimes should be a hate crime. This guy is going to end up keeping his job, and get off with probation.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(02-21-2019, 01:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Read that what he was charged with has a maximum of 3 years, minimum of probation.

Faking hate crimes should be a hate crime. This guy is going to end up keeping his job, and get off with probation.

He already got cut from the show he was on so there is that at least. 
(02-21-2019, 02:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: He already got cut from the show he was on so there is that at least. 

Nah, they just lowered the number of scenes he was in. He wasn't cut outright, but the number of scenes he was in was cut.

Though apparently they are looking at suspending him now that he's been charged.

Say something that causes outrage: Fired instantaneously.
Get accused of something that causes outrage: Fired instantaneously.
Fake your own hate crime and milk it: Consider suspension now that you're being formally charged.

F'd up society we live in today. Social media will probably be the end of it, lol.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(02-21-2019, 12:55 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: No what’s silly is that you have zero concept to why we use the electoral system.  It’s also silly to believe that a few highly populated metropolitan areas should decide on a President that represents the entire country.  This is the United States of America...not United States of New York and California.  The more heavily poplulated states have more House members and as such have more electoral votes.  If you do not like the system move somewhere else or just quit complaining about something that is not broke and works exactly as the creators of the system intended.

Why do we use it?

With regards to your last sentence, our current system does not look like the system that was first introduced.

(02-21-2019, 02:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nah, they just lowered the number of scenes he was in. He wasn't cut outright, but the number of scenes he was in was cut.

Though apparently they are looking at suspending him now that he's been charged.

Fake your own hate crime and milk it: Consider suspension now that you're being formally charged.

F'd up society we live in today. Social media will probably be the end of it, lol.

Yea, apparently the early reports weren't true. When it first came out there were reports he was being written out. Looks like now that's not the case.
(02-21-2019, 02:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nah, they just lowered the number of scenes he was in. He wasn't cut outright, but the number of scenes he was in was cut.

That's an excellent point/comparison.  I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and for him to be charged federally for sending that white powder and "hate mail" that caused a building to be evacuated via US Mail.
(02-20-2019, 11:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Formally charged;

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/entertainment/jussie-smollett-attack/index.html

Hopefully you'll be distracted from this by another story.

Correction: This story and headline have been updated to clarify that Smollett has not been officially charged. Also, the story has been updated to correct the last name of Anne Kavanagh

Just pointing that out, if already done, then move along.
Chicago PD and/or FBI now checking his phone records. !0 to 1 he was on the phone with K. Harris and or C. Booker just prior to and after everything. He didn't do this on his own.
[Image: Dz-JquXWsAEoWrn.jpg:large]
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.