Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just A Reminder
We all know that this subforum is filled with heated arguments at times. Lots of mudslinging occurs. Politics and religion tend to be a big part of a person's identity and it is because of this that attacks on our ideology and spirituality seem more personal. But all of us are more than just our religion or our political beliefs. For one, there is the football fandom, which being that there are some competing interests with that on the board.

Anyway, I had this reminder, today, thanks to The MeatEater Podcast. They had Tucker Carlson on because he was out in Montana for a fly fishing trip. Now, Tucker was targeted by someone in a fly shop, recently, and that video made the rounds on social media. I, personally, agree with the guy who berated Tucker, although maybe not with his methods. But in hearing him talk with the folks at MeatEater, I couldn't help but feel like I could spend the day swinging wet flies for brook trout with him in the Appalachian Mountains (even if he pronounced Appalachia wrong).

I am honestly still conflicted about all of this because, let's be clear, Tucker spreads a lot of misinformation, but he and I can definitely agree on many things.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 09:08 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Anyway, I had this reminder, today, thanks to The MeatEater Podcast. They had Tucker Carlson on because he was out in Montana for a fly fishing trip. Now, Tucker was targeted by someone in a fly shop, recently, and that video made the rounds on social media. I, personally, agree with the guy who berated Tucker, although maybe not with his methods. But in hearing him talk with the folks at MeatEater, I couldn't help but feel like I could spend the day swinging wet flies for brook trout with him in the Appalachian Mountains (even if he pronounced Appalachia wrong).

I am honestly still conflicted about all of this because, let's be clear, Tucker spreads a lot of misinformation, but he and I can definitely agree on many things.

LOL I am in MT right now visiting family. Drove through Helena on Sunday. 

MT keeps going red in presidential elections, but there are a lot of anti-Trumpers here, including amongst my extended family. There seems to be an age component here, as some of my nephews and nieces worry about elders dwelling in the Fox bubble. They offer hope for the future. 

Anyway, I'm not surprised Tucker would be confronted if recognized in MT. Equally possible, though, that some bystander could intervene on his behalf.  Myself, I don't know about fishing with him. He's too aware and calculating in his disinformation. I'd have to remind him of the damage he does the nation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 09:08 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: We all know that this subforum is filled with heated arguments at times. Lots of mudslinging occurs. Politics and religion tend to be a big part of a person's identity and it is because of this that attacks on our ideology and spirituality seem more personal. But all of us are more than just our religion or our political beliefs. For one, there is the football fandom, which being that there are some competing interests with that on the board.

Anyway, I had this reminder, today, thanks to The MeatEater Podcast. They had Tucker Carlson on because he was out in Montana for a fly fishing trip. Now, Tucker was targeted by someone in a fly shop, recently, and that video made the rounds on social media. I, personally, agree with the guy who berated Tucker, although maybe not with his methods. But in hearing him talk with the folks at MeatEater, I couldn't help but feel like I could spend the day swinging wet flies for brook trout with him in the Appalachian Mountains (even if he pronounced Appalachia wrong).

Being the kind of person your posts have shown, none of this post surprises me.

(08-11-2021, 12:41 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL I am in MT right now visiting family. Drove through Helena on Sunday. 

MT keeps going red in presidential elections, but there are a lot of anti-Trumpers here, including amongst my extended family. There seems to be an age component here, as some of my nephews and nieces worry about elders dwelling in the Fox bubble. They offer hope for the future. 

Anyway, I'm not surprised Tucker would be confronted if recognized in MT. Equally possible, though, that some bystander could intervene on his behalf.  Myself, I don't know about fishing with him. He's too aware and calculating in his disinformation. I'd have to remind him of the damage he does the nation.

Reply/Quote
If wanted to hang out with someone who intentionally deceives and misleads for money I'd respond to one of those pyramid scheme facebook messages I get from former classmates.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 09:08 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Anyway, I had this reminder, today, thanks to The MeatEater Podcast. They had Tucker Carlson on because he was out in Montana for a fly fishing trip. Now, Tucker was targeted by someone in a fly shop, recently, and that video made the rounds on social media. I, personally, agree with the guy who berated Tucker, although maybe not with his methods. But in hearing him talk with the folks at MeatEater, I couldn't help but feel like I could spend the day swinging wet flies for brook trout with him in the Appalachian Mountains (even if he pronounced Appalachia wrong).

I don't know if you'll find this interesting but I stumbled upon this awhile back.  It's Tucker Carlson fishing in Central Park where he's being filmed by Joey Boots.  If you don't know who Joey Boots is, he was a pretty well known person from Howard Stern.  He was notorious for filming people and pissing them off.  Anways, Tucker is surprisingly maybe the most friendly person I've seen among people who have had interactions with Joey Boots.  What's even funnier is neither one of them know who the other one is.

Reply/Quote
It's not that absurd for people who are known for some things you'd assume would make them detestable to you are able to relate to you on a personal level. I recall reading that (hyperbole, alert) the US soldiers tasked with guarding Sadaam Hussein after his capture had to be continuously rotated because they kept becoming very fond of the guy in a close proximity situation.

This does make sense as Tucker is playing a role on television. Sure, it is presented as a news/opinion program, but it's like when people were amazed to find out Ellen is a complete monster to deal with while she's playing the role of some friendly TV personality. People who act for a living can't always be connected to the roles they play. Cue early internet memories of people saying they read that Mr. Rogers was a foul mouthed former sniper with a bunch of tattoos.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 01:39 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I don't know if you'll find this interesting but I stumbled upon this awhile back.  It's Tucker Carlson fishing in Central Park where he's being filmed by Joey Boots.  If you don't know who Joey Boots is, he was a pretty well known person from Howard Stern.  He was notorious for filming people and pissing them off.  Anways, Tucker is surprisingly maybe the most friendly person I've seen among people who have had interactions with Joey Boots.  What's even funnier is neither one of them know who the other one is.

Poor Joey, his heroin habit got the best of him.  Aside from the quality of the show going way down hill, so many wack packers have died or moved on.  How High Pitch Eric outlived any of them is beyond me.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 01:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Poor Joey, his heroin habit got the best of him.  Aside from the quality of the show going way down hill, so many wack packers have died or moved on.  How High Pitch Eric outlived any of them is beyond me.

I think I read that High Pitch Eric was the one who found Joey Boots.  I guess they had a podcast together and when he didn't show to record and episode Eric went there to check on him.

It's been a long time since I listened to Stern.  I wonder what happened to a lot of those people.  John the Stutterer, Crazy Cabbie, Angry Black, etc.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 09:08 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: We all know that this subforum is filled with heated arguments at times. Lots of mudslinging occurs. Politics and religion tend to be a big part of a person's identity and it is because of this that attacks on our ideology and spirituality seem more personal. But all of us are more than just our religion or our political beliefs. For one, there is the football fandom, which being that there are some competing interests with that on the board.

Its definitely gotten heated around here.  Totally agree.  I'm certain I'd enjoy having a beer with some of the members here I don't agree with generally and that we'd find a lot of common ground.  

Quote:Anyway, I had this reminder, today, thanks to The MeatEater Podcast. They had Tucker Carlson on because he was out in Montana for a fly fishing trip. Now, Tucker was targeted by someone in a fly shop, recently, and that video made the rounds on social media. I, personally, agree with the guy who berated Tucker, although maybe not with his methods. But in hearing him talk with the folks at MeatEater, I couldn't help but feel like I could spend the day swinging wet flies for brook trout with him in the Appalachian Mountains (even if he pronounced Appalachia wrong).

But this is too much.  Dude, his rhetoric on climate change alone should induce Anaphylactic shock given your connection to nature.  How could you put that aside?  Where is the line?  

Seriously.  **** this guy.  I would have gone to greater lengths to ruin his day and make sure his kids know what a piece of shit he is too.  He's crossed the point of no return and deserves nothing but constant and unabated public blowback.

All bets are off with him.  

(08-11-2021, 01:39 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I don't know if you'll find this interesting but I stumbled upon this awhile back.  It's Tucker Carlson fishing in Central Park where he's being filmed by Joey Boots.  If you don't know who Joey Boots is, he was a pretty well known person from Howard Stern.  He was notorious for filming people and pissing them off.  Anways, Tucker is surprisingly maybe the most friendly person I've seen among people who have had interactions with Joey Boots.  What's even funnier is neither one of them know who the other one is.

I would have accidentally bumped that smarmy POS into the water his rhetoric pollutes.

(08-11-2021, 01:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Poor Joey, his heroin habit got the best of him.  Aside from the quality of the show going way down hill, so many wack packers have died or moved on.  How High Pitch Eric outlived any of them is beyond me.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 04:34 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think I read that High Pitch Eric was the one who found Joey Boots.  I guess they had a podcast together and when he didn't show to record and episode Eric went there to check on him.

That's correct as I understand it as well.

Quote:It's been a long time since I listened to Stern.  I wonder what happened to a lot of those people.  John the Stutterer, Crazy Cabbie, Angry Black, etc.

John the stutterer (not Stuttering John for those not aware) hasn't been part of the show for around 16 years.  Crazy Cabbie completely burned the Stern bridge after he got out of prison by suing Stern over his "defaming" a diet plan company sponsoring Cabbie.  Angry Black actually called in for the first time in years a few months ago and discussed Covid and vaccines, which is ~50% of what Stern talks about daily.  I actually cancelled my Sirius subscription in June, first time without Stern since he came to LA in '91.  Definitely the end of an era, but the show has really taken a nose dive in quality, it's just Howard kvetching about Covid, masks and vaccines, severely editing old material and pontificating on politics.  He also does the show from home and is never going back into the studio IMO.  Oh well, I got close to thirty years entertainment out of the show (it got me through some rough times on the job in the morning), nothing lasts forever.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 12:53 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Being the kind of person your posts have shown, none of this post surprises me.

I'm a family guy. From Montana.

It's no secret.
Reply/Quote

One thing I've always said is that "I could live with Satan"...meaning I can overlook a lot with people and just get along.  

My college roommate sophomore year (1988) had a photo of Ronald Reagan on his desk and would play a video game that you plan presidential campaigns just to show how Reagan would beat everyone in history all the time.  Seriously.

And that probably wasn't the worst thing about him.

And I have lots of friends who we have disagreements over issues big and small.  Some of them we just agree not to talk about those issues.  Some have simply stopped talking to me.

One friend from high school and college blocked me on twitter because I said the Steelers has some issues.  That was the year before Ben got hurt.  But we still talk about other things.

So I get it.  I really do.

But a guy like Tucker?  Who so obviously only cares about his ratings and making money (which he doesn't need) is a bridge too far.

All those other people I mentioned are real people.  They speak what they believe and if they want to debate/talk/argue about it it can be done.

TC is as fake as some posters around here.  He'll say and do anything for attention.  I ain't got time for that.

So I agree with the sentiment that we can find something we like in people even when we vehemently disagree on one thing or another.  But the example of Tucker just doesn't work for me.

Also...I read a biography on Ted Williams quite a few years ago.  He was a real prick, an amazing baseball player and national hero and I assume you know what kind of fly fisherman he was!  

https://www.thesportshistorian.com/ted-williams-hall-of-fame-fly-fisherman/

I'd have had a beer with him...and I don't even like fishing.  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 05:50 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's correct as I understand it as well.

John the stutterer (not Stuttering John for those not aware) hasn't been part of the show for around 16 years.  Crazy Cabbie completely burned the Stern bridge after he got out of prison by suing Stern over his "defaming" a diet plan company sponsoring Cabbie.  Angry Black actually called in for the first time in years a few months ago and discussed Covid and vaccines, which is ~50% of what Stern talks about daily.  I actually cancelled my Sirius subscription in June, first time without Stern since he came to LA in '91.  Definitely the end of an era, but the show has really taken a nose dive in quality, it's just Howard kvetching about Covid, masks and vaccines, severely editing old material and pontificating on politics.  He also does the show from home and is never going back into the studio IMO.  Oh well, I got close to thirty years entertainment out of the show (it got me through some rough times on the job in the morning), nothing lasts forever.

We didn't get Stern here in Cincinnati until the early 2000's.  And he was off to Sirius within a few years.  So I only got bits of it on my commute (like 40 minutes) for maybe 4 or 5 years.  I probably got most of my knowledge of the show from when it aired on E.

I have to say, I've been pretty amazed at some of things I've heard him say these last few years.  It seems like he takes himself way too seriously and is trying to rewrite history.  I don't know if he thinks people forgot, or if a a lot of people did actually forget.  But hearing him rip on sites like Barstool for takes that pale in comparison to what he was doing always gets an eye roll out of me. 

He's not at all the Howard I remember.  I get times change and he has to adapt but I'm often left thinking "Who do you think you're kidding?  Everyone remembers Gary, and Wendy, and Hank, and all of the crazy shit you used to."

I loved the show for what it was then, it was right up my ally as a early 20 something kid.  I've tired following along a little bit here and there just with what gets posted to youtube but he just seems like such a douche now.  I guess close to a billion dollars will do that to a person like him.  It's not even his recent takes that bother me, it's the phoniness.  I feel like old Howard would absolute skewer new Howard for being a total fraud.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 05:50 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's correct as I understand it as well.

Agree, the show is a shell of its former self, even from ~12 years ago when I started listening.  He doesn't even have it in him to lay into any of the idiots he's surrounded himself with purely for the content they provide.  Its sad. 

If it wasn't for some of the other sports shows I enjoy listening to passively while gtd, I'd cancel that shit as well.  I'll bet they're going to see a big drop off next QTR
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 01:39 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I don't know if you'll find this interesting but I stumbled upon this awhile back.  It's Tucker Carlson fishing in Central Park where he's being filmed by Joey Boots.  If you don't know who Joey Boots is, he was a pretty well known person from Howard Stern.  He was notorious for filming people and pissing them off.  Anways, Tucker is surprisingly maybe the most friendly person I've seen among people who have had interactions with Joey Boots.  What's even funnier is neither one of them know who the other one is.

They actually talked about this incident on the podcast. He was saying how irritated he was with the guy, but he knew that with the camera on he needed to be polite about it. He also just recognized the guy's ignorance with what he was doing.

So, apparently, he does his show from his homes because he can't stand New York, but during those days he would go to the city on the weekends. He would fish in Central Park to get outside because he also fishes pretty much every day and the concrete jungle of NYC is soul sucking (which is how I would fee, too).

(08-11-2021, 05:15 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: But this is too much.  Dude, his rhetoric on climate change alone should induce Anaphylactic shock given your connection to nature.  How could you put that aside?  Where is the line?  

Seriously.  **** this guy.  I would have gone to greater lengths to ruin his day and make sure his kids know what a piece of shit he is too.  He's crossed the point of no return and deserves nothing but constant and unabated public blowback.

All bets are off with him.  

(08-11-2021, 06:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: One thing I've always said is that "I could live with Satan"...meaning I can overlook a lot with people and just get along.  

My college roommate sophomore year (1988) had a photo of Ronald Reagan on his desk and would play a video game that you plan presidential campaigns just to show how Reagan would beat everyone in history all the time.  Seriously.

And that probably wasn't the worst thing about him.

And I have lots of friends who we have disagreements over issues big and small.  Some of them we just agree not to talk about those issues.  Some have simply stopped talking to me.

One friend from high school and college blocked me on twitter because I said the Steelers has some issues.  That was the year before Ben got hurt.  But we still talk about other things.

So I get it.  I really do.

But a guy like Tucker?  Who so obviously only cares about his ratings and making money (which he doesn't need) is a bridge too far.

All those other people I mentioned are real people.  They speak what they believe and if they want to debate/talk/argue about it it can be done.

TC is as fake as some posters around here.  He'll say and do anything for attention.  I ain't got time for that.

So I agree with the sentiment that we can find something we like in people even when we vehemently disagree on one thing or another.  But the example of Tucker just doesn't work for me.

Also...I read a biography on Ted Williams quite a few years ago.  He was a real prick, an amazing baseball player and national hero and I assume you know what kind of fly fisherman he was!  

https://www.thesportshistorian.com/ted-williams-hall-of-fame-fly-fisherman/

I'd have had a beer with him...and I don't even like fishing.  Smirk

I don't think I could ever consider him a friend. And I freely admit that I'd have a hard time biting my tongue the whole time. He may not be with me on the issue of climate change, but there are many environmental issues we do agree on and we support some of the same organizations because of it. Like I said from the start, I'm conflicted on it because he has done a ton of damage with his bullshit and I know there is zero point in trying to change his mind. But that's just it, there is zero point. I would let him know my opinion of his work, but then I'd talk about the flies that work in the hole we're about to cast into. Sometimes we waste a lot of energy on things that aren't worth the effort.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 11:02 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: They actually talked about this incident on the podcast. He was saying how irritated he was with the guy, but he knew that with the camera on he needed to be polite about it. He also just recognized the guy's ignorance with what he was doing.

So, apparently, he does his show from his homes because he can't stand New York, but during those days he would go to the city on the weekends. He would fish in Central Park to get outside because he also fishes pretty much every day and the concrete jungle of NYC is soul sucking (which is how I would fee, too).

I don't think I could ever consider him a friend. And I freely admit that I'd have a hard time biting my tongue the whole time. He may not be with me on the issue of climate change, but there are many environmental issues we do agree on and we support some of the same organizations because of it. Like I said from the start, I'm conflicted on it because he has done a ton of damage with his bullshit and I know there is zero point in trying to change his mind. But that's just it, there is zero point. I would let him know my opinion of his work, but then I'd talk about the flies that work in the hole we're about to cast into. Sometimes we waste a lot of energy on things that aren't worth the effort.

I mean if the disagreement was about sports or Ginger vs Maryann...yeah.

Hitler loved dogs.  I couldn't sit and talk about our favorite breeds and just ignore the rest because I know he won't change his mind.

(Not comparing TC to Hitler level)

During the Trump error I was asked why I can't just try and find out where his supporters are coming from vs confronting them with the truth and facts.  And I honestly answered because it doesn't matter.  They either know they are being fed BS and love it or they are too ignorant to realize they are the conman's mark.  I'm still friends with most of them because that's the way I am.  I rarely try and change their minds anymore...I just post the truth and they can ignore it.  But if it were Trump himself?  Nah. So I feel the same about this:  Even if TC had some kind of redeeming quality I could identify with I could not focus on that knowing he is the epicenter of bad information and hate.

Again, I get where you are going with it, just adding my personal twist to it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 11:02 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't think I could ever consider him a friend. And I freely admit that I'd have a hard time biting my tongue the whole time. He may not be with me on the issue of climate change, but there are many environmental issues we do agree on and we support some of the same organizations because of it. Like I said from the start, I'm conflicted on it because he has done a ton of damage with his bullshit and I know there is zero point in trying to change his mind. But that's just it, there is zero point. I would let him know my opinion of his work, but then I'd talk about the flies that work in the hole we're about to cast into. Sometimes we waste a lot of energy on things that aren't worth the effort.

I'm a bit of an oddball I guess because to me I'd see trying to get along with someone I don't like who isn't related to me, doesn't work with me, and has no connection to me to be not worth the effort.  I'd rather fish alone than fish with someone I don't respect and I'd be ok with that because that guy probably doesn't want to go out of his way to get along with me, either.

It's a big world, no need to expend my finite amounts of sanity trying to get along with people I don't have to get along with, but I've also never faulted anyone who didn't want to expend energy trying to like me.  I think people are too hung up on this fragile concept of "getting along" and that is what can lead people to conflict in the end.

Plus in Tucker Carlson's case I don't trust him.  The guy deceives, so you could talk to him about environmental issues and he could be on his show that night talking about the liberal idiot who whined at him about saving the planet via freedom and job-killing regulation.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 11:02 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't think I could ever consider him a friend. And I freely admit that I'd have a hard time biting my tongue the whole time. He may not be with me on the issue of climate change, but there are many environmental issues we do agree on and we support some of the same organizations because of it. Like I said from the start, I'm conflicted on it because he has done a ton of damage with his bullshit and I know there is zero point in trying to change his mind. But that's just it, there is zero point. I would let him know my opinion of his work, but then I'd talk about the flies that work in the hole we're about to cast into. Sometimes we waste a lot of energy on things that aren't worth the effort.

Apathy in this case would seem to normalize and sanction the other side.  You want to know why he couldn't convince you of his perspective?  Because its entirely fabricated on self-interest, nothing else.  You are right.  Confronting him may only push him towards not showing his face in public.  It may not make an immediate impact as he continues to monitize corrupt, degenerate talking points to the masses.  But I refuse to submit to a nefarious actor of this magnitude.  
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 11:49 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Apathy in this case would seem to normalize and sanction the other side.  You want to know why he couldn't convince you of his perspective?  Because its entirely fabricated on self-interest, nothing else.  You are right.  Confronting him may only push him towards not showing his face in public.  It may not make an immediate impact as he continues to monitize corrupt, degenerate talking points to the masses.  But I refuse to submit to a nefarious actor of this magnitude.  

Meh, this is where I show my shrug as I say I'd neither want to fish with the guy, nor do I particularly hold it against him for just giving people the BS they want to hear.  I wouldn't talk to him, I wouldn't fish with him, and I'd wager he'd be happier never talking to me.  Win-win.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 12:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, this is where I show my shrug as I say I'd neither want to fish with the guy, nor do I particularly hold it against him for just giving people the BS they want to hear.  I wouldn't talk to him, I wouldn't fish with him, and I'd wager he'd be happier never talking to me.  Win-win.

I'm sure he'd prefer avoiding honest discussions about the motivations behind his rhetoric.  **** his preference.  
Reply/Quote