Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Cancel NFL Draft Show
With the NBA shut down. The President on every TV channel last night now taking the virus serious. I remember when the NFL just drafted with no Show to it. There is no need for this big audience thing. People walking on stage hugging and shaking hands is not a good idea right now. Just cancel the show. Go back to these owners just making their picks and we hear it on TV, read about it. There really is No Reason to have a Draft Show. NFL drafted many years without one. More and more ESPN covered it until it has became a 3 ring circus. This year, all they need is for owners to phone their draft picks in or computer them in. ESPN & NFL Network could still show the picks as they come in, and isn't that all we really need to know anyway. Jets Fans that Boo the Commish, I could live without that.

They can do the Draft without the SHOW ESPN has turned it into. The NFL had the draft many decades before it became a TV Show. There is no need for a live audience this year. Common sense should prevail. Go back to audience thing in 2021 if possible, but in 2020 they can do the NFL Draft without a live audience. If TV tells me who is being drafted, that's all we really need anyway. The owners could phone or computer their picks in and we would get who has been drafted.

WE LIKE IT, is no reason to do it in 2020. If ESPN gets the news on the pick and then shows their highlight film of the player, that would work for 2020.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 09:22 AM)kevin Wrote: Wit the NBA shut down.  The President on every TV channel last night now taking the virus serious.  I remember when the NFL just drafted with no Show to it.  There is no need for this big audience thing.  People walking on stage hugging and shaking hands is not a good idea right now.  Just cancel the show.   Go back to these owners just making their picks and we hear it on TV, read about it.   There really is No Reason to have a Draft Show.  NFL drafted many years without one.  More and more ESPN covered it until it has became a 3 ring circus.  This year, all they need is for owners to phone their draft picks in or computer them in.  ESPN & NFL Network could still show the picks as they come in, and isn't that all we really need to know anyway.   Jets Fans that Boo the Commish, I could live without that.  

They can do the Draft without the SHOW ESPN has turned it into.  The NFL had the draft many decades before it became a TV Show.  There is no need for a live audience this year. Common sense should prevail.  Go back to audience thing in 2021 if possible, but in 2020 they can do the NFL Draft without a live audience.  If TV tells me who is being drafted, that's all we really need anyway. The owners could phone or computer their picks in and we would get who has been drafted.

WE LIKE IT, is no reason to do it in 2020.  If ESPN gets the news on the pick and then shows their highlight film of the player, that would work for 2020.

There's no reason to not have it televised.
Keeping the fans from attending in-person does make sense though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 11:01 AM)ochocincos Wrote: There's no reason to not have it televised.

This.
Reply/Quote
Isn't the draft 6 weeks away? A lot can change for the better in a month, let alone 6 weeks.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 02:44 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Isn't the draft 6 weeks away?   A lot can change for the better in a month, let alone 6 weeks.

I'm with you buddy.....since, I already bought my flight and have a 9am Tee time set with my brother at his Golf course in Vegas the morning of the draft! Lmao

If I have to cancel the flight, it was only $50 to and $50 back to SF Bay area where I live.

But, I wanted to be there when the Bengals called Joe Burrow's name for sure!
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 03:06 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I'm with you buddy.....since, I already bought my flight and have a 9am Tee time set with my brother at his Golf course in Vegas the morning of the draft! Lmao

If I have to cancel the flight, it was only $50 to and $50 back to SF Bay area where I live.

But, I wanted to be there when the Bengals called Joe Burrow's name for sure!

That is pretty cool Jersey. Yeah, don't panic. This is getting way blown out of proportion.

Is it serious? Of course but this country has went through arguably worse with the swine flu and other diseases.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 03:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is pretty cool Jersey. Yeah, don't panic. This is getting way blown out of proportion.

Is it serious? Of course but this country has went through arguably worse with the swine flu and other diseases.

I agree, but, I'm anxious to see what happens to Tom Hanks and his wife; and then what they say about the symptoms they had and for how long.
Reply/Quote
I think I'd be just as pumped if the draft happened without fans and draftees there. Just give me the ESPN/NFL network guys with the Commissioner at the podium. Take away the fluff. Give me more time of them showing film of the players and filling time talking about how great of an off-season the Bengals are having (a guy can dream).

I haven't been excited for the off-season in some time. I really hope they don't move back free agency. I guess they could be deciding Sunday after the CBA vote. Selfishly, I hope it's not moved back. I think it'll provide a much needed distraction for a lot of people.
Reply/Quote
They should remove the stage and handshakes and audience, but I'd still like to have analysts who show highlights of each player as they're drafted and discussing the value and fit of each pick.

You can do a stripped down show that is still worth watching without exacerbating coronavirus concerns.
Reply/Quote
As long as its televised and I can pick my little 6ml month old up to celebrate when Joe's name is called I'm fine with whatever else
Reply/Quote
I think the draft is one event they can push back another month if needed and it wouldn't affect the offseason timeline. In the big picture, is it that big of a deal if rookies are behind a little in minicamp for instance?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2020, 01:42 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: They should remove the stage and handshakes and audience, but I'd still like to have analysts who show highlights of each player as they're drafted and discussing the value and fit of each pick.

You can do a stripped down show that is still worth watching without exacerbating coronavirus concerns.

Agreed, this is how they should handle it IMO.
Reply/Quote
They will probably move it to the end of May around Memorial day.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
That would mean I'd have to try to take another vacation day. I dont think that will happen though
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 11:01 AM)ochocincos Wrote: There's no reason to not have it televised.

To a certain extent I agree. As a fan, yeah no biggie watching on TV and forgoing the dog and pony show, but for the players, it's a once in a lifetime thing. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2020, 06:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: To a certain extent I agree. As a fan, yeah no biggie watching on TV and forgoing the dog and pony show, but for the players, it's a once in a lifetime thing. 

You missed the context then.
OP said to do the draft without fans and without TV.
I get your point of the players wanting to have the draft experience they dreamed of, but it's better to at least have it on TV than to not.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Of course there is a need for the “big audience thing.” The NFL makes money from the draft. That’s why they adopted the current format and moved the time into prime time.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2020, 02:56 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Of course there is a need for the “big audience thing.”  The NFL makes money from the draft. That’s why they adopted the current format and moved the time into prime time.

The old "marathon" draft day format made for some excellent draft party weekends.  I attended one, in the mid-'90s, that was well done.  It was a nice spring day, they had TVs on the front and back porches, as well as one under a canopy out in the yard. (a tougher undertaking before flat panels were a thing), sound over the stereo system, volleyball court, horseshoe pits, they cooked a pig, had a few kegs on ice.

Too bad most of the guys were all sunburned, drunk and passed out, by the time the women showed up, later in the afternoon..   Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I agree with everybody else that they could just do away with the big event and analyze picks.

BUT, we should keep in mind, if the draft is delayed much of it has to do with the fact that pro days, campus visits, and the like are being cancelled. The NFL may be hoping that many of these can be rescheduled given enough time, and the pandemic curve begins to flatten as we all hope.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2020, 11:08 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The old "marathon" draft day format made for some excellent draft party weekends.  I attended one, in the mid-'90s, that was well done.  It was a nice spring day, they had TVs on the front and back porches, as well as one under a canopy out in the yard. (a tougher undertaking before flat panels were a thing), sound over the stereo system, volleyball court, horseshoe pits, they cooked a pig, had a few kegs on ice.

Too bad most of the guys were all sunburned, drunk and passed out, by the time the women showed up, later in the afternoon..   Cool

That is the good old days right there lol  Hilarious
Reply/Quote