Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Hit on the round 1 pick Baby !
(04-08-2024, 09:33 PM)depthchart Wrote: This is part of what concerns me with an OT pick in round 1.

At some point the Team will Start him and may keep starting him to try to make the pick work. 

(like other 1st round O-lineman that never really panned out)

Personally, I would hope that JC Latham gets close enough for a 3 to 5 pick Trade up and go get him. 

(Others like Fuaga more who may also require a Trade up)

Staying put at pick #18 for an OT likely means riskier options (although many smart Posters like some of those options & could be right)

I think that JC Latham would Lock the RT position down for a Decade.

Latham may go too early for a 4 to 5 pick Trade up to be able to happen (Fuaga could also)

*Once the better OT's go off the Board the other positions start looking better but Bowers & Mitchell could also be taken before pick #18.

Byron Murphy II would be nice to have but Brian Thomas JR sure helps with the TEE situation. 

Personally, I think Latham will be there at 18 with him not doing the workouts and coming off of injury.

We will see, but I don't think we should trade up for him, if he is taken someone else will fall.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 12:31 PM)depthchart Wrote: To me, Hitting on a round 1 pick is what matters. (more than what specific position it is)

If they take an OT and miss, then they will be chasing after a Tackle next offseason AND they missed the chance to hit at another position.

*If say they HIT on a WR in round one, then they don't have to spend Money on that spot next offseason. (or re-Draft that 1 Roster spot)

That in turn frees up Money for a Free Agent OT or whatever next offseason.

Same with Hitting on a DT or Corner or Interior O-line etc in round 1.

Hitting fills a spot and Frees up Money that can be used in the next Offseason by not having to fill that spot.

This is why I am more open to Drafting other positions in round 1 besides OT.

I don't mind if they take OT in round 1 but they just Flat out need to get it right.

Just hit Baby !

Guess im confused, can't you miss on all those positions you just mentioned?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 12:22 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Guess im confused, can't you miss on all those positions you just mentioned?

Yes.

The idea is geared towards the desire by many to get an OT in round 1 and focus on a RT in round 1.

By pick #18 the options for an OT may become more risky than options at other positions like say WR or DT etc.

The Bengals track record in recent years to select the right Offensive Lineman and have them pan out isn't the best.

I don't mind if they take an OT in round 1 but they need to get it right this time.

Would a Mims or Guyton at OT be more likely to bust than Brian Thomas JR at WR or DT Byron Murphy II for example.

Any of them can bust but some may be more likely to bust.

Stay open minded about all position options before pulling the trigger & don't get Tunnel Vision on the OT's to the point of reaching

is the point. 
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 10:47 AM)depthchart Wrote: Yes.

The idea is geared towards the desire by many to get an OT in round 1 and focus on a RT in round 1.

By pick #18 the options for an OT may become more risky than options at other positions like say WR or DT etc.

The Bengals track record in recent years to select the right Offensive Lineman and have them pan out isn't the best.

I don't mind if they take an OT in round 1 but they need to get it right this time.

Would a Mims or Guyton at OT be more likely to bust than Brian Thomas JR at WR or DT Byron Murphy II for example.

Stay open minded about all position options before pulling the trigger & don't get Tunnel Vision on the OT's to the point of reaching

is the point. 

Our track record not been great in the 20s, but not good lower at RT in our history.. I say go with what their board says, no way am i going with the losing mentality of we missed before so lets not pick this position... I would debate that Murphy is pushed up because DT is weak more than a can't miss thinking.. RT is very deep i believe deeper than WR in top 20 picks, so to me the can't miss is RT mentality
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 10:47 AM)depthchart Wrote: Yes.

is the point. 

The more I watch of Mims and the more I learn about the man the less likely I think he is to be a bust honestly. He can play all over the line
with his athleticism, so if he outplays Volson which I find likely we have another starter instantly while Brown mans RT until Mims is ready to 
play there. Very rare player I am finding in Amarius Mims, I think he will be a hit.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 05:51 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Our track record not been great in the 20s, but not good lower at RT in our history.. I say go with what their board says, no way am i going with the losing mentality of we missed before so lets not pick this position... I would debate that Murphy is pushed up because DT is weak more than a can't miss thinking.. RT is very deep i believe deeper than WR in top 20 picks, so to me the can't miss is RT mentality

Fair enough.

I'm not saying to avoid OT's in round 1. Just want the Bengals to be right if they do take one.

Easier to get WR & DT's later in the Draft than OT's which is likely why people feel the need to get an OT in round 1.

I understand that and the OT Class offers the chance to get it right at pick #18 or even Trade up for an OT as I've suggested

as an option to possibly better assure that it is one that really does well.

Who is the player or 2 that you would want at RT ?
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 05:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The more I watch of Mims and the more I learn about the man the less likely I think he is to be a bust honestly. He can play all over the line
with his athleticism, so if he outplays Volson which I find likely we have another starter instantly while Brown mans RT until Mims is ready to 
play there. Very rare player I am finding in Amarius Mims, I think he will be a hit.

Mims & Guyon intrigue me as options.

I tend to lean towards Mims over Guyton due in part to his shear size & weight.

Mims 6 foot 7 & 3/4 inches tall  340 pounds at the Combine   36 & 1/8 arm length   9.58 RAS score

Guyton 6 foot 7 & 3/4 inches tall   322 pounds at the Combine  34 & 1/8 arm length   9.71 RAS score

Mims appears to have nice balance when he blocks, moves well with the defender and makes it hard for them to get to

either side of him. 

I think that Mims handles defenders trying to go around him better than Guyton does and whoever the Bengals get has to deal with 

TJ Watt & Myles Garrett. 

Either one or both might do just fine and it is up to the Bengals to get it right.

*I wonder if Burrow would have trouble seeing over them if either played at Guard for a while as you suggested. - LOL  They are TALL.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 06:36 PM)depthchart Wrote: Mims & Guyon intrigue me as options.

I tend to lean towards Mims over Guyton due in part to his shear size & weight.

Mims 6 foot 7 & 3/4 inches tall  340 pounds at the Combine   36 & 1/8 arm length   9.58 RAS score

Guyton 6 foot 7 & 3/4 inches tall   322 pounds at the Combine  34 & 1/8 arm length   9.71 RAS score

Mims appears to have nice balance when he blocks, moves well with the defender and makes it hard for them to get to

either side of him. 

I think that Mims handles defenders trying to go around him better than Guyton does and whoever the Bengals get has to deal with 

TJ Watt & Myles Garrett. 

Either one or both might do just fine and it is up to the Bengals to get it right.

*I wonder if Burrow would have trouble seeing over them if either played at Guard for a while as you suggested. - LOL  They are TALL.

I keep forgetting that Mims is 340 pounds. He looks so fit it is hard to see that much weight too him. Must be all muscle.

I guess muscle DOES weigh more than fat. The great balance is what stands out the most to me when watching Mims, something you 
cannot teach, he moves really well as you say. Guyton is the guy I am scared of, even if he is a big guy, namely tall he just does not 
impress me in his film like Mims does. Latham is big and fits, but I think we need more athleticism on the OL and that is Amarius Mims.

They are tall, but remember Joe is 6'4", not like he is a midget or something lol
Reply/Quote
You have to hit on your 1st round picks regardless of position, but this Bengals team’s biggest weaknesses are in the trenches on both sides of the ball due to losing players and not hitting on draft picks.

One of the biggest assessments too, is if you are not drafting studs at a position what is the player acquisition costs of getting FA in those positions. This offseason showed us unequivocally that the highest cost FA’s were DT so if you draft one or two DT’s on a rookie contract for 4 to 5 seasons they could set you up for massive cost savings and solidify a key position if they hit. Look at how much they paid Rankins, and how much the other big dog DT’s got paid which was way more than the OT free agents got.

OT is important, the Bengals have missed a lot at that position and do not seem to be developing the position group well either. So you have to either change your approach, coaches, or rely on already proven commodities in the FA market.

At the end of the day, you have a team that has an all-time franchise QB that has had two season ending injuries and been sacked/hit way too much. You also have a d-line with no depth and you lost your best player while getting absolutely dominated last season because you couldn’t stop the run or get any pressure so the young secondary got absolutely abused.

Again, this team’s needs are in the trenches, the coaches say it, everyone recognizes it, the game is won in the trenches so for a team that has championship aspirations with Joe Burrow you have to fix the trenches and I would do so by doubling up at both position groups in this draft with the amount of picks they have. If one of the top 3 OT are not there at 18 then I would take Murphy or Newton at DT. If you don’t take trenches in the first then you have to hit on those picks later which is much tougher to do.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2024, 01:12 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: You have to hit on your 1st round picks regardless of position, but this Bengals team’s biggest weaknesses are in the trenches on both sides of the ball due to losing players and not hitting on draft picks.

One of the biggest assessments too, is if you are not drafting studs at a position what is the player acquisition costs of getting FA in those positions. This offseason showed us unequivocally that the highest cost FA’s were DT so if you draft one or two DT’s on a rookie contract for 4 to 5 seasons they could set you up for massive cost savings and solidify a key position if they hit. Look at how much they paid Rankins, and how much the other big dog DT’s got paid which was way more than the OT free agents got.

OT is important, the Bengals have missed a lot at that position and do not seem to be developing the position group well either. So you have to either change your approach, coaches, or rely on already proven commodities in the FA market.

At the end of the day, you have a team that has an all-time franchise QB that has had two season ending injuries and been sacked/hit way too much. You also have a d-line with no depth and you lost your best player while getting absolutely dominated last season because you couldn’t stop the run or get any pressure so the young secondary got absolutely abused.

Again, this team’s needs are in the trenches, the coaches say it, everyone recognizes it, the game is won in the trenches so for a team that has championship aspirations with Joe Burrow you have to fix the trenches and I would do so by doubling up at both position groups in this draft with the amount of picks they have. If one of the top 3 OT are not there at 18 then I would take Murphy or Newton at DT. If you don’t take trenches in the first then you have to hit on those picks later which is much tougher to do.

Nice post Show. Love Murphy or Newton at 18, but Amarius Mims is so talented with so much upside and has a head on his shoulders that I 
would be all for him coming in and learning behind Trent Brown while also playing LG next to Orlando while Volson becomes good depth.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2024, 01:12 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: You have to hit on your 1st round picks regardless of position, but this Bengals team’s biggest weaknesses are in the trenches on both sides of the ball due to losing players and not hitting on draft picks.

If thinking mainly about Trench Building, getting the OT is the dilemma because the options may Thin out by pick #18 which is 

why I consider a small 3 to 4 pick Trade up as an option for an OT.  Mims at #18 could work but is risky.

As for DT, the Bengals could Flat Out Stack that Group if they got Murphy or Newton in round 1, then say Mckinnley Jackson

and Sweat if Sweat falls enough after his DWI issue. (The DT & NT Group would be Stacked)

Interior O-line is likely easier to get after round 1 than an OT option.

I wouldn't mind a Trench Focused early & often Draft as long as they get it right.
Reply/Quote