Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Just How Bad Was Finley's Arm Strength...
The reason he succeeded in college is because of the difference in passing windows you've already alluded to, and the kid is pretty damn smart.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 10:53 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Shows how HUGE a difference there is between college football and the NFL. I always crack up at those people who think the best college team would even remotely be competitive against the worst NFL team. 

I'll day this much about Finley... He made AJ McCarron look like the guy that many people wanted him to be.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 10:41 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Interestingly enough, it was Ryan himself who decided to take on my avatar challenge. Ha!

I am guessing he changed your mind lol
Reply/Quote
People always give Andy a hard time about his arm. He zips a pass in their from time to time. He just doesn't always do it consistently
Reply/Quote
Ryan Finley is yet another in line of failed draft picks.
If the Bengals had good OC, they might be able to mask this deficiency with creative playcalling that utilizes RBs and TEs in the passing game a ton but they don't have that.
Zac Taylor has no idea how to turn his vision into reality.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
How in the world does the NFL not have analytics or something that measures arm strength of QBs? There should be something that measures the velocity of the ball thrown.

If a QB doesnt have the right standardized threshold of velocity on a 30 yard pass downfield then he shouldnt even be looked at or drafted.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 11:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: The reason he succeeded in college is because of the difference in passing windows you've already alluded to, and the kid is pretty damn smart.

Interestingly, his numbers were bad against the Clemson's of the world. Probably because their defenders were good enough to cover tighter.
Reply/Quote
I know for sure this franchise can't really afford
To be reaching for 4th RD picks like Findkey
And completely missing .Duke Tobin and his scouts
From the Hellen Keller school of scouting have really missed
On the last 3 4 years of drafting
Very few if none at all elite players and alot of guys that are jus
Ok.
Then you have guys like Price who are regressing
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 01:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: And we were averaging 3.2 ypc under Dalton. The run game has been averaging 5.0 ypc in Finley's 3 starts. Meaning Andy was dragging that figure up, kicking and screaming, while Finley was dragging that run game down.

Was about to post this exact thing before I saw you already covered it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 01:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interestingly, his numbers were bad against the Clemson's of the world. Probably because their defenders were good enough to cover tighter.

Probably a lot of truth in that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 10:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: While not great, our passing game was ranked somewhere in the middle with Dalton.

The run game was on pace for a historic low in yardage.

Then, bye week and the coaches adjusted somewhat.

It's funny...Marvin supposedly didn't make halftime adjustments. These coaches took half a season to make adjustments. Seriously, IF you're Turner and you've been a coach for some 25 years...how does it take you this long to make an adjustment?

The same thing happened with Marvin a couple years ago. Remember when the run game stunk all season, then suddenly Paul Alexander switched our run blocking scheme like 10 games into the season? We had a lot of success after that, then PA was fired after the season. Nevermind how long we took to fire guys like Zampese and Teryl Austin.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 07:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The same thing happened with Marvin a couple years ago. Remember when the run game stunk all season, then suddenly Paul Alexander switched our run blocking scheme like 10 games into the season? We had a lot of success after that, then PA was fired after the season. Nevermind how long we took to fire guys like Zampese and Teryl Austin.

Didn't Lazor have a hand in that ?
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 07:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Didn't Lazor have a hand in that ?

Yeah he did. Lazor pushed that change, which led to improvement. Then he watched as Zac Taylor took his job. Again.

I bet Lazor has to be laughing somewhere. He's now watched Taylor replace him twice and fail hard twice.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:55 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: People always give Andy a hard time about his arm. He zips a pass in their from time to time. He just doesn't always do it consistently

I've never really understood this.

I've seen him flutter some balls but short/intermediate passes, his arm is actually pretty strong. I'm not saying Cam strength but it's definitely something that's hit on for next to no reason.

It's been a long time since I've seen QB passes like I've seen from Finley. The only comparison is Peyton's last year and he was both injured and 40.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
To answer the question posed in the thread title: Just how bad was Finley's arm strength?

Answer: It was so bad that the fly he swatted came back and knocked him on his ass for it. Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:55 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: People always give Andy a hard time about his arm. He zips a pass in their from time to time. He just doesn't always do it consistently

Right...which can be the margin between winning and losing...but yes.

Dalton isn't a bad QB. He's easily a starter. He just isn't a Top 10 starter at best. In his career year he was.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 01:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ryan Finley is yet another in line of failed draft picks.
If the Bengals had good OC, they might be able to mask this deficiency with creative playcalling that utilizes RBs and TEs in the passing game a ton but they don't have that.
Zac Taylor has no idea how to turn his vision into reality.

Indeed. You tailor the offense to the players.

With Mixon and Bernard...decent TE's and a WR like Boyd with Tate emerging...there's enough to work with here to make a creative offense.
Reply/Quote
They went deep with Finley when they should have have gone short and quick like BB does with Brady.
A good coach will design plays to his player's advantage.

Zac's wishful thinking is this:
We are going to go deep on the next play and catch them off guard and go for 40 yrds.

When he should be thinking:

Quick short passes to move the chains, tire the D, run Mixon more little by little and THEN go for a 20 yrd pass for a TD.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I don’t even want him as our backup QB next year his arm is so bad he doesn’t belong in the NFL I’m not trying to sound like a hater but he has no business in this league
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote