Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Lazy: Andre Smith Returns
(07-28-2019, 12:38 AM)samhain Wrote: I don't think they care.  I think they want to operate as they always have and that they needed a new fall guy to put a face on this  season.  Mike Brown saying that his family is as involved as ever in day-to day operations is a red flag to me.  

The family only cares that their brand was damaged in way that it hasn't been since the late 90's in 2018.  The stadium was barren.  They gambled on bringing Marvin back thinking that fans wouldn't care, and that they'd behave as they always have. maybe they would have if the season went well.  It didn't and they didn't.  

The family had to do something.  To them, canning Marv and hiring a young HC who'd say the right things is the cheapest and easiest way for them to continue with "model model" and the Bengal Way.  

Hire Zac.  Let him hire his buds to be assistants like a frat.  Who cares?  No significant free agents to supplement a quickly aging core.  Same guys as last year plus some rookies and John Miller, who isn't special. 

A new staff/coach may not have been comfortable for the family, but it was the easiest way for them to do damage control with the fanbase.  It was cheaper, and the rebranding was over by February.  It's a band aid on a bullet wound.

Honestly, I'm not so sure they fired Marvin. I think at minimum Marvin didn't one to return too. For the last couple years he looked and sounded like a guy that wanted out.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 11:31 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Or they realize that we'll likely be rebuilding for a few years and Hart is young. We just had too many holes to fill in one offseason.

If that really is the thought, I don't think it makes sense to extend Green or even Dalton.
They are estimated to have $31+ mill in cap space next year, and they can free up $27 mill more by releasing Dalton ($17.7 mill) and Glenn ($9.5 mill).

Holes in the roster for starters would include:
QB1
WR1 (unless Ross steps up to establish himself opposite of Boyd)

Assuming they were to do exactly as I indicated, they could go QB and WR in the first two rounds next year and focus on the less expensive positions in FA to upgrade those areas (LB, OL). Maybe guys like AJ Klein and La'el Collins who will still be under 30 years old in next year's FA. Draft depth players in Rds 3-7.

I'm getting way ahead of myself now already thinking up an offseason strategy for 2020...
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 03:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If that really is the thought, I don't think it makes sense to extend Green or even Dalton.
They are estimated to have $31+ mill in cap space next year, and they can free up $27 mill more by releasing Dalton ($17.7 mill) and Glenn ($9.5 mill).

Holes in the roster for starters would include:
QB1
WR1 (unless Ross steps up to establish himself opposite of Boyd)

Assuming they were to do exactly as I indicated, they could go QB and WR in the first two rounds next year and focus on the less expensive positions in FA to upgrade those areas (LB, OL). Maybe guys like AJ Klein and La'el Collins who will still be under 30 years old in next year's FA. Draft depth players in Rds 3-7.

I'm getting way ahead of myself now already thinking up an offseason strategy for 2020...

Any rebuilding plan that entails signing 2-3 upgrades in free agency is unfortunately a long shot for the Bengals.

They had some $50+ million cap space this past year and totally tanked in free agency.
Reply/Quote