Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Lazy: Andre Smith Returns
(07-25-2019, 04:41 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: That would make more sense.

They always tell us this is a depth signing/camp body......

Until the season starts and they are starting.

We can't keep accepting this lazy way of approaching free agent signings. I can't name any other options. But I don't get paid to. The fact none of us get paid to but many named Andre as the option lets you know how pitiful this Scout (singular) department is. Why pay the scout when folks on the board can easily identify their targets.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 05:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: They always tell us this is a depth signing/camp body......

We can't keep accepting this lazy way of approaching free agent signings. I can't name any other options. But I don't get paid to. The fact none of us get paid to but many named Andre as the option lets you know how pitiful this Scout (singular) department is.

As of now, he could just be a camp body. I'll be more concerned if a) the Bengals don't bring anyone else in, and b) Andre's on the roster at the start of the season. Until then, I just can't get too worked up about it.
Reply/Quote
Again. What fans consider camp bodies somehow end up starters.

Haven't we read this script before? It's their fault they didn't do anything to boost the tackle position (until the draft). A winning team would have recognized the weakness and loaded up on tackles in free agency so that when your number 1 pick goes down you don't have to go to a tackle who should have long retired.

This doesn't feel like a newday. It feels like lipstick (new coach) on a pig.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 04:34 PM)McC Wrote: To anyone upset by this, please list the better available alternatives.  

If he's starting on opening day, then maybe we have a problem.

Heck, if he's a back up on opening day, we have problems. This is his 4th stint with the Bengals, I dub thee Andre "Bad Penny" Smith.
Reply/Quote
I suspect he will get injured in TC and then we will be back to square 1
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 04:09 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...There aren't starting quality tackles walking around the street right now, especially not until later in camp when guys start getting cut. We need guys who can play with 2nd and 3rd units in the preseason and the evil you know is better than the evil you don't. Why people freak out over something like this is strange.

They could make a trade later in camp, they could sign a vet who is cut, maybe they raid someone's practice squad...but right now this really isn't a big deal.

No shit, JJ22 just wants to be angry over something. Andre was our best Lineman a couple years ago, better than Hart. If he is in shape it is better then pretty much everybody out there and he is a better run blocker than Glenn and also seems to fit what Turner likes in his Lineman as he is a big mauling type. Nothing wrong with this at all, I don't understand the complaint.

Now if we brought back Maualuga or Adam Jones I would agree entirely.
Reply/Quote
Losing both Williams & Boling really hurt.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 05:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: They always tell us this is a depth signing/camp body......

We can't keep accepting this lazy way of approaching free agent signings. I can't name any other options. But I don't get paid to. The fact none of us get paid to but many named Andre as the option lets you know how pitiful this Scout (singular) department is. Why pay the scout when folks on the board can easily identify their targets.

gotta stop letting that knee hit you in the face so hard....

they said they will be watching camp cuts and checking their options.

Right now camp starts Saturday if we want the Tackles we have to make it thru camp we need more BODYs at the position
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 05:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No shit, JJ22 just wants to be angry over something. Andre was our best Lineman a couple years ago, better than Hart. If he is in shape it is better then pretty much everybody out there and he is a better run blocker than Glenn and also seems to fit what Turner likes in his Lineman as he is a big mauling type. Nothing wrong with this at all, I don't understand the complaint.

Now if we brought back Maualuga or Adam Jones I would agree entirely.

He's been our best lineman the last couple years?

That's saying a lot.

Truth is he's contributed to the poor line play the last couple years (as he's played significant snaps).

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 05:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: gotta stop letting that knee hit you in the face so hard....

they said they will be watching camp cuts and checking their options.

Right now camp starts Saturday if we want the Tackles we have to make it thru camp we need more BODYs at the position

Fine. Applaud this lazy approach (I guess Andre Smith is the only Tackle always available, the last 3 years. I don't buy it, but it's sold) and wonder why things don't change. 

In the mean time watch Trent get traded for a 5th round pick.

Reply/Quote
So this is the different direction that wlw was trying to sell on the radio yesterday.
Reply/Quote
There is no one currently on the street that is better than Andre so why not bring him into camp. They'll have more options at the end of camp but right now there is a rock and hard spot situation. If they signed a young UDFA project people would complain they signed a project.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Honestly, Andre made sense to bring back as soon as Williams went down. For as much crap as Andre got, he still performed better in Cincinnati than Hart has. Based on what OTs are left at this point, I'm fine with this addition.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Well he did play a long time with Whitworth. Maybe he learned something about longevity from him.

Im on board with this. Right now he is penciled in on the 53 man roster.

Hell our first round pick got hurt and most dependable starter unexpectedly retired. Its obviously not the ideal situation and it is a tough place to be in. So I can't get mad about this signing. Its a guy who has proven to be able to perform as an NFL starter. Almost every one of the UDFAs this year at OT will never be able to say that. And I doubt many teams are looking to trade away capable OTs right now. The pickings are slim.

We will more than likely add another new face once the big roster cuts come unless MJ or someone else on the roster looks capable at T.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 05:23 PM)jj22 Wrote: Fine. Applaud this lazy approach (I guess Andre Smith is the only Tackle always available, the last 3 years. I don't buy it, but it's sold) and wonder why things don't change. 

In the mean time watch Trent get traded for a 5th round pick.

trent aint reporting till he gets a new mega contract...
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 04:34 PM)McC Wrote: To anyone upset by this, please list the better available alternatives.  

If he's starting on opening day, then maybe we have a problem.

Exactly, depth for TC

I'd still bet they'll be watching close for TC cuts and PS players
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 04:27 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: It's clear that it is Dukes team and not Taylor's team.

How so?
Duke could've suggested it, but Zac would be the one to say yay or nay.
Or it could have been Zac's suggestion in the first place. It's not like quality T's are readily available.
Reply/Quote
Just lazy plain as simple. No other franchise in the NFL would bring this guy in for a 4th time. But of course you have the same ole fans that spin everything the Bengals so as positive.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 06:38 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Just lazy plain as simple.   No other franchise in the NFL would bring this guy in for a 4th time.  But of course you have the same ole fans that spin everything the Bengals so as positive.

as someone asked upstream...who would you have signed?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I don’t hate this move itself. We need Tackles. We signed a veteran Tackle. I do agree that this move is very business as usual and doesn’t move the needle much in terms of improving our O-line situation. I will assume that the search for upgrades will continue.
Reply/Quote