Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a stupid question about guns for a Sunday night
(03-23-2021, 01:54 PM)Dill Wrote: Nati, where were you at in A-stan, and when? Jus' wonderin'.

Also, since the theme here seems to be weapons carelessness/dangerous practices, 

were you ever around Afghan Army troops? 

https://www.22ndmeu.marines.mil/News/Article-View/Article/510156/22nd-meu-afghanistan-recap-meu-drives-stake-into-taliban-heartland/

Yea we had the ANA guys with us. The ones attached to us had some type of accident with an RPG but I can’t remember all the details. They were definitely a sketchy bunch to be around.

Saw our Colonel on 60 minutes a few weeks back. Frank McKenzie. General now and had a hand in killing Al Bahgdadi and Solemeini in recent years which was pretty cool to see.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-missle-strike-al-asad-airbase-60-minutes-2021-02-28/

And the most hardcore tough SOB first sergeant we had tracking Santa Clause at NORAD as a Sergrwnt Major which was pretty mind blowing.

https://youtu.be/aHZ3mIeoVoU
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 07:22 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: https://www.22ndmeu.marines.mil/News/Article-View/Article/510156/22nd-meu-afghanistan-recap-meu-drives-stake-into-taliban-heartland/

Yea we had the ANA guys with us. The ones attached to us had some type of accident with an RPG but I can’t remember all the details. They were definitely a sketchy bunch to be around.
Saw our Colonel on 60 minutes a few weeks back. Frank McKenzie. General now and had a hand in killing Al Bahgdadi and Solemeini in recent years which was pretty cool to see.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-missle-strike-al-asad-airbase-60-minutes-2021-02-28/
And the most hardcore tough SOB first sergeant we had tracking Santa Clause at NORAD as a Sergrwnt Major which was pretty mind blowing.

Got it Oruzgan, north of Kandahar. Thanks. So you were maybe in the first operation there.

I asked because while reading your post I was thinking of Afghan nationals in the DFACs of various bases and how their absence of safety practices raised eyebrows and generated complaints. I don't like an AK jabbing my back while I am in lunch line. Especially after stories about accidental discharges. At Shank they were sequestered inside their own wire and barred from all other coalition DFACS and exchanges.  Americans and other allies (Czech, Jordanian) were required to carry weapons everywhere in case of attack. Afghans' guns were locked down while they were on base, as far as I could see. (Though that wasn't just about weapons safety.)

(Great video of SGM Mckenna. What happened to his neck?)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 07:27 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've definitely encountered quite a few people that I don't like being around when they are armed. In fact, I would say that when I was young and dumb I was one of those people. One thing about the firearm community, though, is the vast majority try to police our own. Flag someone at the range? You're going to get kicked off. Post a photo showing improper trigger discipline? You're going to get a lot of flak for it.

I haven't done the research, but I would be pretty sure most every mass shooter is not a long standing NRA member or well established among any network of fellow gun owners in the community.  
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 07:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Had a friend pointing a gun directly at another friends face finger on the trigger ready to pull swearing it wasn’t loaded. For whatever reason decided to test his theory it wasn’t loaded by pointing it at the closet and blew a hole in the back of his closet.

There was a riflemen in my company that was a total moron. When we got to Afghanistan his squad leader with the rest of the platoons backing took every magazine but one from him. It was the live fire rushing drill that was the icing on the cake. Where we work our way closer to the objective, every other person rushes while the ones not rushing cover fire. Well he never moved and just kept firing. With everybody else moving in and him still way in the back shooting his little heart out things got way to close for comfort. He ended up joining the Army once he got out of the USMC and my already low opinion of the Army has forever been brought even lower.

When I was in Haiti and a private, we were practicing squad tactics.  We had live rounds, but we did not shoot them because they had to be inventoried every night.  Anyways, when it was my team's turn to rush I discharged a round into the dirt because I was running with my finger on the trigger with my safety off.  My squad leader was so pissed, mainly about having to figure out how to come up with a new round so the inventory would not be messed up.  He kept it in the squad so I never got in real trouble, but I was filling sandbags all night when we got back to the base.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 11:09 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I haven't done the research, but I would be pretty sure most every mass shooter is not a long standing NRA member or well established among any network of fellow gun owners in the community.  

Agreed. But that just reiterates the point often made that the vast majority of gun owners are law abiding and responsible. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't concerned with the negative attitudes I see from some parts of the firearm community towards RSOs and what not, though. But, I am coming at this from someone that teaches young men and women how to safely handle a firearm, so yeah.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
RSO ? Range Safety Officer ?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 09:18 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: RSO ? Range Safety Officer ?

Yes.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 07:48 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dear god, the two of you know some real clowns when it comes to firearm safety.  First off, and apologies if this comes off as pedantic, but the correct term is negligent discharge.  Discharges caused by negligent handling are not accidents.  An accidental discharge would be a cook off (which will rarely happen in the civilian world), a mechanical failure (which are exceedingly rare but do happen, see the Remington 700 recall), or a delayed primer ignition.  There are obviously several rules when handling firearms, but to me the most important ones are treat every firearm as if it's loaded at all times, always keep your finger off the trigger until the moment before discharging the weapon, and never point a firearm at something you don't intend to shoot (while making sure that target is safe to shoot).  Seems to me that everyone in your examples, with the exception of Nati's bizarre Corps squad mate, violated all or several of these.  As to him, I'm surprised they didn't reassign him to something in which his ability to cause havoc was limited, like cook or logistics.

I'm friends (not professional acquaintances) with 20+ gunowners.  I've gone shooting with all of them several times.  We have never had even one such incident between all of us combined.  Learn your manual of arms and follow the basic rules at all times and firearms are as safe as any mechanical item.  I clear my firearms after shooting, before I place them in the range bag/rifle case, before I clean them and before I store them.  Hell, I check them every time I pick them up, even if I checked it two minutes ago.  Good habits prevent horrible accidents.
Lmao!  I do the exact same thing.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 07:22 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: https://www.22ndmeu.marines.mil/News/Article-View/Article/510156/22nd-meu-afghanistan-recap-meu-drives-stake-into-taliban-heartland/

My sister was stationed at NORAD for a few years and did the Santa Clause tracking every year.  Even our parents helped track Santa one year when they were visiting her.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 02:50 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: My sister was stationed at NORAD for a few years and did the Santa Clause tracking every year.  Even our parents helped track Santa one year when they were visiting her.

Well if McKenna was there at the time he was the one beating the door down before sunrise getting everybody ready for a boots and utes run before the 30 mile hump later that day.
Reply/Quote